Pretty as a Car Crash

Chapter Eight

Ashton Driscol

Image
made by GreenSkittle @ the Quizilla! Forums

This place is more packed than I thought it would be.

I look around the cozy restaurant, searching for an open booth for Ashton and I to sit in. As my sight finally rests on an open booth set against a window, Ashton tugs on my elbow to get my attention. “Hey, Jessie, do you know what you want to order?”

Jessie?

“Ummm…yes, actually, I do.” I smile at the middle-aged woman standing behind the counter. “I’ll have a sourdough bread bowl with chicken and wild rice soup and some lemonade.”

After she finishes taking my order, she turns to Ashton. “Are you two together?” Ashton smiles and does a quick nod before replying.

“I’ll have a turkey sandwich on rye bread with a Lipton Green Tea.” He winks at the cashier, sending her into a little fluster. I shake my head as a smirk finds its way onto my lips and stroll over to the booth that I had my eyes on earlier. Ashton follows me silently. “So…” he begins as he and I slide into opposite benches of the booth, “How is your cheek? Does it still hurt?”

“It’s better now; kind of tingly, but better.” I reply, shrugging nonchalantly. His alabaster face lights up as I say this and he folds his hands on top of the table, leaning forward slightly.

“That’s good.”

I nod, unsure of what to do or say.

“So, what brings you to New York City?” Ashton inquires, staring at me intently. I look up from my hands and into his eyes.

He seems sincere enough.

“Well I-“

Mr. Driscol. Ashton Driscol. Your order is ready for pick-up. A man says over the intercom system. I slump back in my plush, forest-green seat as he says this.

“Hold onto that thought. I’ll be right back!” Ashton jumps up from his seat, holding a finger up for the universal sign of one-minute. I sigh, running a hand through my black, curly locks.

Today is turning out to be a very interesting day.

A couple silent moments later Ashton comes back with both of our trays of food. “Thank you.” I say simply as I take the tray and set it down in front of myself.

“You are quite welcome.” He murmurs in a soft tone sitting down once again and taking a sip of his green tea. As I absent-mindedly stir my soup, Ashton opens a bag of chips, humming to himself all the while. “Now,” he articulates, holding a chip between his thumb and forefinger, “Why are you in the ‘Big Apple’?”

“I’m going to college here.” I reply quietly, looking into his blue eyes.

“Just for school?” he wonders aloud, placing the chip in his mouth gently.

“Nope. My family moved here when I was younger and now I’m going to school here. Why are you in New York?” I take a swig of my lemonade as I wait patiently for his reply.

“I’m going to school here, too.” Ashton answers before taking a large bite of his turkey sandwich.

“Ah.” I mumble, looking down at my soup bowl.

This is a bit awkward. I think, slowly eating a spoonful of my soup.

“Hey, Jessie?” My eyebrows narrow a bit at the nickname Ashton has decided to give me.

“Yes, Ash?” I query, innocently taking a sip of my drink when he raises his eyebrow at me questioningly. He looks at me for a long moment; almost like he’s not sure that he should what he’s thinking.

“I’m-“ just as he starts his question, his cell phone starts to ring; the theme song to “Mission Impossible” filling up the quiet, but cozy café. “I’m sorry, but I have to take this.” He apologizes after checking his caller ID. As Ashton gets up from our booth and hurries out the café door, I sigh, eating another spoonful of my soup.

What is that all about?

About five minutes later, Ashton comes back into the café, raindrops on his beautiful brown hair.

Wait. Beautiful brown hair? I can’t think his hair is beautiful!! That’s so…not me!

I shake my head to clear it of those disturbing thoughts.

“Hey. Sorry about that, Jessie. So, what’d I miss?” He coos as he plops back into his seat, shaking his hair out of his eyes.

“Not much and it’s fine.” I smile reassuringly as Ashton searches my face. “What?” I ask quietly after a few moments of silence.

He smiles his toothy grin again and says “Nothing. Your eyes are really blue.”

“Oh. Thanx.” I blush, averting my gaze from his. Ashton chuckles before taking another bite of his sandwich and chewing it slowly.
♠ ♠ ♠
Wohoo!
Chapter Eight!
So I had to turn this story in today for my creative writing class.
I'm looking forward to seeing what kind of grade I get for it.
I'll tell you guys what I get if it's not too bad ;)