Pretty as a Car Crash

Chapter Four

Disabled

Image
made by whit.knee @ the Quizilla! Forums

“Maria, it is 3:50 and it takes about fifteen minutes to get back to the University and dorms. We need to go, now!” I stomp my foot for emphasis. Maria looks up, her brown eyes boring into my blue ones.

“But I-“, she starts, but I cut her off.

“No. No buts, ifs, or anything else. I’m being serious.” I grab her wrist and jerk her away from the lip glosses she was fawning over. As I pull, she starts to whine and drag her feet in protest. This continues until I successfully get her out of the Ulta Beauty Supply store; the women working there watching us cautiously.

“God!” I breathe once we finally exit the mall, “I feel like a mother that has to deal with a kid having a temper tantrum.” Maria doesn’t say a word as we walk, side by side and in almost complete silence, back to her car. It would be complete silence, if not for Maria sighing every fifteen seconds or so, indicating that she is not at all pleased. “Maria? Maria, come on. Don’t be like that.” I plead in an attempt to get her to talk to me.

She glances at me from the corner of her eye and says “What do you think Chrissie Emerson is going to be like? I hope she’s nice. I don’t want to share a dorm room with a brat.” She pauses for a second then lets out a string of giggles.

I heave a sigh and say with narrowed eyes “I am not a brat. I just know how I like things done.”

“Okay.” Maria says in reply. We climb into her perfectly polished car and a few minutes later we’re maneuvering our way out of the mall’s parking lot.

When Maria and I finally get back to the University, its 4:10.

“Is it just me, or did it seem like everybody and their brother were out on the roads just know?” I wonder aloud.

Maria shrugs, handing me a couple of bags and says, “Here. There are two more bags in the trunk, yeah.”

I look down at the huge, paper American Eagle bag in my hands and all I can think is 'what a waste'. As I’m grabbing the last two bags from the trunk, I look up to see Maria flirting shamelessly with a guy.

I think I know him from somewhere…

I close the door, slamming it as I often do and watch as both of them jump, then turn to look back at me.

OH MY GOD! Get out!

I mentally scream when I get a full view of this guys face.

“You’re the ‘Cool beans’ guy from the coffee shop this morning!” I yelp, pointing my right index finger at him accusingly. All is silent as I look around awkwardly.

The University building is casting a large shadow out onto the grass, trees, and flower beds in front of it. Students stroll the sidewalks, to absorbed in their own conversations to notice what’s around them. Birds fly overhead, squawking every now and then.

I look back at Maria and Peter and I’m greeted with Maria’s shut-up-now-or-I-will-rip-your-mouth-out glare. I gulp and lower my arm to my side, advancing towards the two of them in the process.

“I mean,” I verbalize when I finally reach them, sticking my hand out, “nice to see you again. Peter, right?”

“Right. And it’s nice to see you, too, Jessica.” He replies, shaking my hand and smiling all the while.

“Yeah” I mumble, dropping my hand to my side again and looking down at the toes of my converse shoes.

“Well then!” Maria sings out loudly, clapping her hands together once after a few moments of awkward silence, “Jessica and I are expecting a new roommate, so we should be going. See you later, yeah!” She waves at him, herding me and the bags towards the building the dorm rooms are housed in.

She sighs and looks at me from the corner of her eye. Again. “Are you socially disabled, yeah?”

I look at her, somewhat startled by her choice of words. “E-Excuse me?” I stutter, still staring at her.

Maria sighs, exasperated, and looks at me meaningfully. “Never mind. Let’s go meet this Chrissie character.”

We reach our dorm room about ten minutes later after lugging eight bags up five flights of stairs. The stupid elevators are broken. Again. As Maria unlocks and opens the door, my jaw drops, along with all the bags I’m carrying.

“What the-“, Maria starts, her eyes meeting the scene inside our room before she can finish her sentence.

“What the fudge!? There are like fifty boxes in our dorm room. Why!?”, I yell, marching into our room, leaving Maria to pick up the bags.

“It’s not fifty. It’s ten and two bags.” A female voice I can only assume belongs to Chrissie Emerson replies from the bathroom. “And why?”, The voice continues, coming closer, “Because I’m moving into this dorm, that’s why.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Here is chapter four!
Enjoy!
Please comment.