Status: Active

Annabel Lee

Changed

Annabelle's Point of View

When we arrived at the castle, Narcissa insisted on my bed rest. After getting out of my gown and placing my wand on my bedside, I quickly fell under the covers of my bed.

“Cissa,” I whispered as I saw out of the corner of my eye her changing in front of the mirror. She turned to me with a concerned gaze.

“Yes, Annie?”

“Please,” I started and bit my lip, “Please don't tell the other's what happened. What I said...” I trailed off and she sat down next to my bed.

“Of course. You just get some rest, Annie.” with a reassuring smile from my friend I went into a dreamless sleep that was both endless and aimless. It felt as if I hadn't slept for years. When I awoke the next morning I was greeted with an orange glow pouring through my window.

How late did I sleep in? In a frenzy, I threw off my dressing gown and fell over my shoes trying to pull on my skirt. After I slipped on my stockings and buttoned my shirt I noticed my hair was still in tact from last night. Narcissa's charms really lasted. I ran down the hall putting on one shoe at a time when I could. Running through the Slytherin Common Room and up the Grand Staircase, I stopped myself just outside the Grand Hall to adjust my tie.

It must be dinner by now.

“Had fun playing Death Eater with my brother, Emaciare?” Black spat walking up next to me. I continued fixing my tie in an effort to ignore him. “Probably got the mark too, didn't you?” At this I turned half my body to face him and rolled up each of my sleeves to my elbows and buttoned them.

Does it look like I have it, you prat? Black looked my forearm up and dow suspiciously. He look of relief passed over his face.

“We still have time, then,” he sighed and stood between me and the Grand Hall door. He had a genuine look of concern on his face, covered only by a visible layer of brash determination. I crossed my arms. “You need to leave that lot my brother hangs around.” I scoffed and turned to walk away.

Leave my only friends? What a dimwit.

“Wait,” he commanded grabbing my exposed elbow, turning me back around. That conditioned fear began to possess me. “You aren't like other Slytherin. You don't care about blood status. Anyone can see that. You think they wouldn't turn on you in an instant?” I glared at him and smacked his hands away from me. “You don't have to join those bloody Death Eaters,” he said looking into my eyes intently. I closed my eyes and shook my head.

“You don't know anything, do you?” I said sharply. He grabbed my shoulders and leaned in.

“I bet Snape's about ready to get his. The Dark Mark, huh? You think you won't be next? I bet it will look lovely on your little forearm,” he mocked quietly and grunted. “I know my brother's already gotten his,” he hissed. I gripped the front of his robes and pushed him away as hard as I could against the Grand Hall door, his back making a booming thud.

“She giving you trouble, Padfoot?” I heard the unmistakable voice of Potter question.

Figures his little possy would follow him. Sure enough when I turned around Lupin, Potter, Lily, and Pettigrew were standing there. Pettigrew even had his fat fingers grasped around his wand.

“You'll pay for that, Emaciare,” the chubby little oaf barked, but Lily pushed his hand down gently.

“Sirius was the one harassing her, Peter,” she said before looking me over. “Are you okay, Annabelle?” She was so sweet and sincere. I became very conscious of the fact that everyone was looking at me with the same face Black had earlier save Lily. Was I still shaking? Or maybe they were all in on Black's plan to confront me.

I quickly made up my mind that, either way, I had better leave.

“It was nice seeing you Lily,” I whispered smiling a small but polite smile before glaring at the rest of her mates and boyfriend. She grinned widely and pushed a piece of her red hair behind her left ear.

“You too, Annie.” I nodded and rushed into the Grand Hall. I walked with all the grace and poise I had learned for the ball. Severus was the first to notices me. We both blushed and exchanged smiles (though his was more of a lopsided grin). Regulus was next.

“Good evening, Sleeping Beauty,” he laughed. Narcissa and Lucius slowly lifted their heads to me and followed with their greetings.

“Annabelle.”

“I knew you'd do this, I've never seen you sleep so much,” Narcissa laughed with a flip of her hair. “Come on, sit down.” Once I made my way between Severus and Regulus everyone at the Slytherin table began chattering.

“Why is everyone looking at me?” I whispered to him and Sev leaned over to glare at a batch of Slutherins looking our way.

“Most likely they've heard a rumor about you at the ball,” he said and I blushed. Had I been improper?

“Bloody hell, Snape, don't put it like that. He means about your meeting with You Know Who,” Regulus said quietly.

“Yes, Annie. Word of His attendance has spread. Everyone is quite impressed,” Narcissa nodded with a ruby red smile. I threw her a confused glance. Lucius put an arm around his girlfriend.

“It's great honor, Annabelle. It's uncommon for Him to do that for anyone, let alone someone of your blood status,” he remarked and I shrugged uncomfortably.

“Or it could be that you look stunning today,” Regulus said winking and I laughed with him, shoving his shoulder. Regulus looked over his shoulder and grimaced. “Oh great, what do they want?” he muttered . Severus and him exchanged a look and stood up, standing in front of our table.

“What do you blood traitors think you're doing here?” Lucius sneered. Black and Potter were approaching us. I felt around in my pocket for my wand but couldn't find it.

Shoot. I had forgotten it on my dresser from last night.

“We're here to talk with Emaciare,” Potter said and gave a look to his glaring mate. Severus immediately gave a glance to me and went to pull his wand from his pocket. I reached up and touched his arm gently shaking my head. After seeing a few suggestive glances at my actions I retracted my hand and blushed.

“Shouldn't be a problem, right?” Black asked with a scrunched up nose. “After all, she isn't a real Slytherin.”

“You must not have heard about the ball them cousin,” Narcissa quipped snidely alluding to my visit with Voldemort. Now all of our table was listening in.

“We heard,” Black said darkly, his eyes never shifting away from the sliver of my form he could see between Regulus and Sev. “We just thought we would give you one more chance,” he said staring at my eyes intently.

Of course I didn't want to kill muggles or muggle-borns, but what was I supposed to do? Leave my friends? Severus? I turned my body in my seat to face the Gryffindors.

“You must have hit your head against the Grand Hall door harder than I thought,” I said smiling mockingly. Regulus and Severus turned their heads to look at me and Regulus laughed.

“Had a nice trip, did you brother?” At this I shook my head and laughed along with him.

“It wasn't so much of a trip as a shove,” I said cooly taking a sip of my pumpkin juice. Suddenyl the entire row of Slytherin tables were in hysterics.

“You did that?” Lucius smirked. Regulus and trying to catch his breath and sat down.

“I can't even... You're not even worth fighting,” he laughed madly and Severus followed suit, finding his way back next to me.

“Oh she's nothing like a Slytherin, nothing like us at all,” Narcissa giggled flashing me a proud smile. Even Severus couldn't manage to hide his amusement as he pat my head. Black flushed with anger and leaned in to my ear from behind.

“Have fun being a killer,” he seethed vindictively and stormed away with Potter. The mocking laughter of our house slowly died off.

“You're just full of surprises lately,” Lucius smirked and raised a glass to me. Even I had a quiet moment of pride. I smiled as I felt Severus's cold hand reach out under the table and grab mine. Apparently he was proud of me too.

“Come on,” Lucius said after a few sips from his glass. “We've been keeping them long enough.” Narcissa and Regulus seemed to frown but nod in concurrence. As Severus helped me from my seat and we began walking out of the hall, I noticed Narcissa taking an uncharacteristically slow pace behind the rest of us. I slowed my step to walk next to her.

“So where are we going?” I asked her, but she set herself content on ignoring me and punching her fingers together nervously. “Are you alright?” She gave me a sideways glance. Her air of superiority was gone. “You told them, didn't you?” I whispered with a smile. Her blonde curls nearly hit her face her head turned so fast.

“Just Lucius and no one else, I swear. He just wouldn't stop asking. Oh, I'm so sorry, Annie!”

Poor Narcissa, she looked so unsophisticated. I couldn’t be mad.

“Well, I guess that might give us a hint as to where we're going,” I giggled and looked back to Severus, who I could tell had been watching me fondly for some time. A small half smile crossed his face before he turned back to the front nervously. Last night was the start of something splendid. When I looked back to Narcissa she was looking at me knowingly.

“I'm glad you aren't miffed. I wouldn't want Snape killing me for upsetting his girlfriend,” she hinted with a wink. I know she expected me to deny it, but with a shy smile she instantly knew. “You guys did it, didn't you? He finally made a move?” she said with a hushed excitement. I nodded again and smiled.

“We kissed in the carriage,” I said with a giggle, I couldn't contain myself. She looked like I had hit her over the head with a mandrake.

“You're kidding, oh Annie that's so great!” she squealed clasping her hands over her mouth before embracing me. Although I initially felt that urge to pull away I stayed in the hug, however she automatically realized what she was doing. “I'm sorry, I shouldn't--” I stopped her by hugging her back with a smile.

“Thank you, Cissa.” I squeezed her lightly. “You're my best mate, you know that?” I told her and as she pulled away I could see she was truly touched.

“Oh, Annie, you too.” She seemed like she would cry as I smiled and we walked along side one another. With the seclusion and the meetings with Dumbledore, we were all worried something was wrong or that all this was too much for you. But Annie, you've become so brave, you're like someone else entirely.”

“Isn't it wonderful,” I sighed quietly. We had arrived at the Viaduct, the bridge connecting the courtyard near Hagrid's and the Forbidden Forest. From where we were I could see a group of students in the middle. I skipped ahead to Severus again, his face didn't portray any emotion.

“You know what they expect,” he said with a stone voice. He turned his eyes to me and frowned. “Don't try to be too brave.” I smiled lightly and bumped him with my arm.

“Since when have I ever been.” He seemed slightly amused by my response and I stopped as we faced the group on the Viaduct led by Avery. Avery didn't even look at me.

“She has her wand?” he asked and I mentally swore. However, before I could say I had forgotten it on my dresser, Lucius nodded.

“Right here,” he quipped reaching into his robes. To my surprise, he drew my wand. Out of the corner of his eye he must have noticed my bewilderment. “I had Narcissa knick it form your room this morning.” He looked over his shoulder with a cunning gleam. “Sorry for the rudeness, Annabelle. Couldn't have you forgetting.” I took my wand from him as Avery looked me up and down.

He neglected to say anything, but as he turned around he said to no one in particular, “Make sure they can see her eyes.” I looked to Narcissa hoping she would have a hair tie but she shook her head.

“Sorry Annie, I think your hair is too short to tie up.” With a sigh I reached into my pockets and found a broken shoe string and tapped it with my wand. In an instant the graying cloth had transformed into a silver metallic headband. I pushed it against my forehead and up my bangs to rest on top of my head. Narcissa gave me a nod of approval and Severus gave me a look I hadn't yet seen before and I couldn't entirely understand it. I boldly faced the group on the Viaduct and stood with Avery in the middle.

“Let's get this over with, shall we?” Avery sighed and slowly the crowd circled lined each side of the bridge. He looked around as if waiting for someone.

“Hey Mulciber! Get out here, you tosser!” I heard Rosier cry from my left. Were these all Slytherin? I didn't think so, I could clearly see some Ravenclaws among the mix. Avery closed his eyes and gritted his teeth.

“There are ladies here, you simple git.” Severus edged closer to me but Avery sharply turned to us instead. “Annabelle,” he said with a silky yet neutral tone, “there is a tradition among us that once the Dark Lord has allowed you to be a part of the fight for the Greater Good, you must duel one of our senior members to assess your worth. Mulciber here has volunteered to do you the honors.” With the sight of Mulciber entering our area, Avery stepped away, leading my mates with him to the right side of the Viaduct. Mulciber gave me that unwarranted eyebrow raise that made my insides churn. It was so much like Black and Potter's arrogant attempts at seduction, and though I could not express it then, it terrified me.

“I'll give it a crack. How do I win?” I asked. This is how I could get out of the whole mess. If I lost then I wouldn't be allowed back in the meetings and wouldn't have to kill anyone. I just had to make my loss convincing. Avery shook his head and Mulciber laughed at my response.

“Just survive, alright girlie?” Without pause he lifted his want and shouted, “Reducto!” Without time to raise my wand I ducked to a kneeling position. The red jet of light flew past my head and struck a cobblestone. The cheering of those around us commenced and the sound consumed us.

That could have killed me! I took a wide eyed look to my friends. How was I supposed to lose without dying?

“Your wand, annie! Use your bloody wand!” Narcissa screeched as I realized Mulciber was staring at me, head tilted.

“She's right, you know.” Panicked, I fumbled for my wand. “Reducto!”

Pretego!” I shouted, bouncing the curse away from me. “Expelliarmus!” I rebounded and watched with disappointment as he batted it away easily with the shielding charm.

Bombardo!” A pillar figurehead to my left exploded instantly and debris and dust flew into the air.

He's quick, I can't use verbal spells anymore.

Crucio!” He shouted and I barely batted it away.

Calloshoo!” I cursed and he laughed as he dodged it.

“You think a simple spell to stick me in one place will--” Without hesitation or even lowering my wand I followed my curse with another spell, this time nonverbally.

Confundus! It seemed to work instantly, he didn't foresee me being able to use nonverbal magic as a possibility and got hit with my spell. The moment the white jolt of light hit him, everyone grew silent, but a moment later they were cheering again. This time for me. Mulciber blinked slowly in a dumbfounded manner.

Carpe Retractum. A rop shot out from the tip of my wand and, much like a lasso, wrapped around Mulciber's torso and dragged him to my side on his knees. He had dropped his wand a few feet away and fell onto his side, rolling around singing an old nursery rhyme. I separated the rope from my wand and jabbed my wand into his jugular before looking to Avery with a look of victory.

“It's over,” he said and the cheering started up again. My friends and the others surrounded me with praise.

“I can't believe you managed that!” Cissa cheered smiling. Regulus seemed to give an uneasy nod before smiling.

“Absolutely brilliant. It's official, you're in.” He and I both shared the same thoughts. Neither of us had actually wanted me to beat him. I looked to Severus, he had a gleaming proud expression.

“What would you like to do to celebrate?” I pictured a night in the Common Room with all of them, leaning against Severus and holding Benvolio. Before I could recommend our return to the Common room, Regulus's eyes widened and he snapped his fingers.

“Bogarts, I nearly forgot,” he cursed reaching into his robes. We continued to walk back into the courtyard as he fumbled around in his robes and pulled out an envelope. “This came with Severus's owl this morning.” The address with my name was written in sloppy purple writing while the return address was in neat, black cursive.

Severus's Point of View

I knew the moment that Regulus pulled out the envelope that something terrible would happen. With just the sight of the letter Annabelle's face fell and she took it gingerly into her hands. Regulus leaned in over her shoulder to try and read the address.

“So who is it fr--”

She ran. Annabelle turned on her heals and ran all the way up the courtyard and into the castle.

“Annabelle!” I shouted running after to her. Annabelle didn't even look back as she closed the door.

“Annie!” Narcissa followed just behind me. In all honesty I was surprised, I would have never thought a girl with such standing and pride as Narcissa would run after a friend like that. “Snape, do you know what that was about?” she said out of breath. I shook my head as we arrived at the staircase.

“I'll check upstairs, you go see if she went into the Girl's Dormitories,” I commanded and the out of breath pureblood nodded and ran off down the stairs.

I spent the next half hour running around Hogwarts Castle with not a clue as to where she had gone. I must have run up and down the stairs searching for the little twit three time. As I checked the third floor again, I spotted something glimmering on the marble floor. As I approached it I found it to be the headband Annabelle had fashioned herself.

She must have gone this way. I checked each room until I happened upon the Prefects Lavatory. Fresh steam fogged the mirrors and I could heard the sound of dripping water.

“Annabelle?” I called, faintly realizing that if I were caught in here and that the person in here wasn't Annabelle that I was sure to have at least two month's detention. It was worth it though, because as I slowly walked to the girl's bath I saw her.

Annabelle was sitting in a bath, fully clothes, her body submerged up to her chest. She was staring blankly the the stained glass mermaid windows, under which the letter, her robes, her wand, and her shoes sat neatly. Her icy eyes that normally expressed so much were drained, their ice thawed, and her platinum hair was now a sopping golden mess clinging to the sides of her face.

“Are you alright,” I questioned slowly taking off my robes and shoes.

“Perfectly mad,” she said with a small attempt at a laugh, though her expression betrayed her. Cautiously, I waded myself into the steaming bath, rolling up my shirt sleeves as I sat down next to her. I was instantly soaked.

“You shouldn't run off like that, you twit. You worried all of us,” I said sterly and I saw her face brighten a bit.

“I'm sorry to have worried you, Sev,” she said in a nearly mythical tone. I felt the sting of embarrassment.

“I said you worried all of us, not just me,” I scolded and moved some of the wet strands stuck to her cheek behind her ear. Her pale face got a touch of color.

“Sorry.” Annabelle smoothed out her skirt as it lifted and waved in the water. Finally willing myself to relax, I leaned my head back against the marble bath and closed my eyes.

“You can't let him get you like this,” I said abruptly cutting the silence. Her face gained and uncomfortable smile. “I don't need to read it to know what's wrong Annabelle.” Though I wasn't looking, I felt the water move. She was looking over at me with her sad eyes, silently begging me.

How do you know?

“With Dumbledore here you'd never be forced to live with him. Just look at Regulus's brother.” She leaned her head onto my shoulder and I jumped a little at the sudden contact.

“Why do you stay, Sev? Is it to protect your mum?” she whispered and I nodded. I opened my eyes to find her smiling a little brighter but still with tired, but thoughtful, eyes. “It's lovely reason. Noble.” I shook my head.

“It's just the only reason.” Annabelle curled up into my side and I put my arm around her.

“I still must be tired from last night to be so upset. Thank you, Sev. I was just being silly, you've shown me that.” She craned her neck to reach up and kiss mine. I felt the warmth of her breath as he lips lingered there.

I found myself having to consciously think of how to respond to her affection. I had never experienced what we were together. Then again, what were we? But before I did respond me pulled away blushing a fire red.

“I've been so brash lately, forgive me,” she squeaked quietly. With little hesitation I held her close again and kissed. After a few seconds I pulled away and gave a half smile.

“I don't mind it,” I said reassuringly. I hoped it would be enough for her to understand. It was, she seemed to melt at the moment in my grasp.

“Can we sit here for a while? I'm rather enjoying this bath,” she mumbled bashfully and I couldn't help but agree.

I'm grateful we had that hour in the bath, even though it left us raisoned as Mandrakes. In the coming months, it would give us something to hold onto.
♠ ♠ ♠
Notes: I'm so sorry that I haven't updated in so long, but college planning has eaten my life. Expect more on my other story soon and then another one for Annabelle's, I'm back and addicted once more! Comment, message, and subscribe please!