You're My Way Home, You're My Backbone.

Oblivious.

“We should go soon and get something for dinner. I’m hungry.” Ryan said when the last of the sun’s rays vanished under the horizon.

Jon lowered the camera from his face and started going through all the photos he had taken of the sunset, there was a lot of them. Brendon tucked his chin over Jon’s shoulder to see and smiled as Jon flicked past a photo of Brendon, Ryan and Spencer sitting together looking out at the water. The golden colour of the sun and the dark contrast look amazing.

“Pizza at Ryan’s.” Spencer cheered.

Ryan glared at Spencer from the corner of his eye but didn’t say no to the idea. Spencer smiled and started packing up everything on the picnic blanket.

“Pizza sounds good.” Jon agreed. “If anyone wants to see the photos that were taken today I’ll connect my camera to Ryan’s TV while we eat.”

“I want to see them.” Brendon said as he pulled away from Jon and helped Spencer pack up their gear.

It didn’t take long to have everything packed and sorted. They divided the bags between them all and started the walk back to the cars. Brendon hung back so Spencer was in front of him, that way he knew where that stupid rock was. He was determined not to trip over it this time.

When Spencer made a sudden swerve off the path Brendon followed in his footprints and stuck his tongue out at the rock that was all but impossible to see in the fading light. Suddenly there was a bright flash from a camera and Jon laughed.

“Keep taking photos, I might be able to see where I’m going.” Ryan called from up front.

“I told you to pack a torch,” Spencer stated. “But no, we wouldn’t need one.”

There was a quick succession of flashes and Brendon shielded his eyes as he almost walked into Spencer. Jon snickers but stops the light show.

When they reached the cars Spencer threw the bag he was carrying into his car and got the others to do the same. Brendon walked around to the front of the cars and looked out at the beach. The moon wasn’t up yet so he could hear more that he could see; all the same the beach was a peaceful as they found it that morning.

“I’ll take this stuff back to my house and get the pizzas on the way. Did you need anything from your house, Bren?” Spencer asked twisting his keys around his finger.

“Yeah, couple of things.” Brendon nodded and started to move towards Spencer’s car.

Spencer quickly stopped him and Brendon shot him a confused look. Spencer smiled easily.

“I’ll get it, you go with Ryan. What do you need?”

“Uh,” Brendon frowned unsure. “My overnight bag, meds and a change of clothes. Think that’s about it.”

Spencer nodded and rounded his car to the driver’s door. Brendon watched as Spencer got into his car, Jon nudged him in the side and gestured him to follow. Ryan got into his car and Jon quickly jumped into the passenger’s seat.

“I’ll be quick as I can. Are we getting the usual pizzas?” Spencer called through the passenger window when he wound it down.

“May as well.” Brendon shrugged as he slid into the back seat.

“Get garlic bread!” Jon yelled.

“No duh!” Spencer yelled back before reversing the car out of the parking zone.

Brendon snickered and sat back as Ryan did the same.

*

When Ryan opened the front door all Spencer could hear was a lot of noise coming from the living room followed by a whole lot of curse words and Brendon snickering.

“Jon’s trying to connect his camera to the TV, he’s got that many cords mixed together he doesn’t know what is what.” Ryan said as he closed the door behind Spencer.

Spencer followed Ryan to the kitchen, leaving Brendon’s bags by the living room door and placed the food on the kitchen table. Ryan slid up close on his way to get the plates.

“How’s it looking? Are there many here yet?” Ryan whispered.

Spencer flashed a grin.

“The house is looking awesome, almost everything but the food is done. A lot of it’s been ordered so Patrick said he would pick it up in the morning. I told the guys that some could stay at my place while it’s empty so it would be less suspicious for tonight. Pete’s notified the neighbours in case tomorrow gets noisy.” Spencer whispered back.

“Do we need to do anything?”

“Pete said he has it all under control. All us three has to do it keep Brendon distracted and away from his house until everyone arrives.”

Ryan’s smiled matched Spencer’s and he moved away. Spencer turned towards table and started opening boxes.

“Food!”

Jon entered the room first and Spencer flashed a quick thumbs up as he pointed in a vague direction of Brendon’s house. Jon beamed and let Brendon choose what he wanted to eat first when he finally entered the room.

*

Ryan walked into the kitchen bleary eyed and blinked slowly taking in the brightness of the room. Without saying anything Spencer pointed to a cup of coffee by the empty chair next to him and took a bite of his toast. Jon smiled in greeting.

“’morning.” Ryan muttered as he sank into the chair.

He took a sip of the drink then yawned.

“Good morning.” Jon smiled as he tapped a pen against the magazine in front of him.

Spencer slid a piece of toast towards Ryan who accepted it gratefully.

“Brendon still sleeping?” Ryan asked.

“Yeah, I think yesterday took a bit out of him. He was out like a light once his head hit the pillow.” Spencer answered.

“Will he be okay for this afternoon?” Ryan frowned worried. “It’s not going to too much after the long day yesterday?”

“I think he’ll be fine, we should tell the guys to keep it more low key just in case and we’ll let Brendon sleep in.” Spencer said before taking another bite of toast. “He’ll be up when he’s ready. If we end up late the guys will understand.”

Ryan nodded and all but ate his piece of toast in one bite. Jon picked up his bowl of cereal and moved it as far away from Ryan as he could before Ryan stole it.

Ryan mock glared at Jon and got up to get his own food.

*

Brendon stumbled into the living room around eleven am and almost shoulder checked the doorframe in his sleepy haze. Blinking rapidly against the brightly lit room, he flopped down onto the couch next to Jon and landed mostly on his hip. Brendon let the overbalance pull him down until his head was resting on Jon’s thigh. Jon took a second away from his game to pat Brendon on the head.

“Sleep well?” Jon asked as his character jumped from one building to another while being shot at.

Brendon rubbed the sleep out his eyes as he nodded. He slept like a rock but still felt tired and sore. Despite not feeling all that flash Brendon didn’t regret the soccer game yesterday for a second, he might be sore but it was different from what he’s had to deal with on and off for months, this sort of aching felt simular to the day after a crazy night on stage. It was something he never thought he would miss and was startled to find that he did.

“Yeah, I did. You?” Brendon asked eyeing the pile of blankets on the floor and the pillows Jon was leaning on.

“Once I killed the clock in the kitchen. I threw the batteries in the bin, don’t tell Ryan.”

Brendon smiled and settled into the couch. Jon’s character fell off the building and the screen turned red but the guy was still alive. Brendon watched Jon play for a long while as he slowly woke up, by the time his mind felt awake as his body did, he still had no idea what Jon was trying to do in game, what the objective was. He was just climbing on things and being shot at. It was kinda boring.

“Where’s the twins?” Brendon asked around a yawn.

“Ryan, I’m not sure I think he may have gone out and the last a saw of Spencer he was sitting outside sulking because I bet his ass on Crash Team Racing ten times in a row.” Jon beamed with a slight air of smugness.

Brendon held his hand up for a high five and Jon smacked their hands together with a loud clap. Brendon stood up and walked around the back of the couch so not to get in Jon’s way as he headed for the back door.

Spencer was sitting on the edge of the deck in the only strip of sunlight that shone on the wood. He was tapping away on his phone and looked up as Brendon closed the door. He pocked his phone quickly as Brendon moved to sit next to him.

“Look at that, sleeping beauty awakes.” Spencer smiled in greeting.

“Beauty sleep in important for lead singers, we need twenty hours a day.”

Spencer snorted and Brendon flashed a soft smile. Brendon shifted on the hard deck gingerly, apparently there have been a lot of muscles Brendon hasn’t used for a long time and forgot he had.

“A bit sore, huh?” Spencer asked getting a nod in reply. “Same here, but I have Ryan and Jon to blame for most of that.”

Brendon chuckled and bent forward slightly to pick a blade of grass by his feet.

“I can blame only myself.” Brendon said before sighing dramatically.

Spencer scoffed and poked Brendon in the side. Brendon flicked the piece of grass at Spencer in retaliation and watched as it was pushed by the breeze back towards him, twirling to the ground by his foot. Spencer laughed and leant back on his hands.

Brendon bent over to pick up another blade of grass when the front door slammed shut loud enough sound like a thunder clap. Both of them startled. Brendon put a hand over his chest and Spencer let out a long breath.

“I fucking hate it when Ryan does that.” Spencer hissed.

“I’m surprised his house is still standing, let alone that the front door is still on its hinges.” Brendon muttered.

Spencer hummed in agreement. A minute later the back door opens and the two of them turn around to see Ryan standing in the doorway smiling softly. Without Brendon noticing, Spencer inclined his head towards Brendon and nodded in a short motion. Ryan’s smile widens.

“How are you feeling today, Bren?” Ryan asked, shifting to lean against the doorframe.

“A little sore, but not too bad.” Brendon smiled. “Better than I was expecting after yesterday.”

“That’s good, I was going to offer the old walking stick in the laundry.” Ryan chuckled as Brendon scoffed. “Had breakfast yet?”

Brendon shook his head. Spencer gave him a meaningful sideways glance and Brendon tried not to roll his eyes fondly.

“I will soon.” Brendon reassured. “When I decide to move.”

Brendon poked Spencer in the thigh and quickly pulled his hand away before Spencer could smack it away.

“Jon left the last of the apple juice for you.” Ryan said before looking at Spencer. “I have to go...shopping. You coming with?”

Spencer stood without a word, moving gingerly at first. Brendon wondered if the others were sore too, it wouldn’t be a surprise. He hesitated for a moment before getting up himself and followed the other two inside. He headed for the kitchen and started hunting around for clean dishes, being careful to not move his arms up too high.

“We’re going to be a little while; Jon’s going to take you home in an hour. We’ll probable meet you there,“ Spencer announced from the kitchen doorway. “You need any shopping done?”

“Not that I can think of. Thanks.”

Spencer flashed a smile and Brendon mirrored it before checking the dishwasher. He waited for the clap of the front door slamming shut and although he knew it was going to happen he still jumped anyway.

“Stop slamming the doors you’re ruining my concentration!” Jon yelled.

The front door opened and slammed shut again. Brendon laughed as Jon yelled about having to start the level over again.
♠ ♠ ♠
I just really want to say a huge thank you for all those that have commented, subscribed and recommended this story as of late. THANK YOU! It means a lot. :D

I also want to apologise in advance if next chapter is going to be late by a couple of weeks. There is a chance I will not have full access to the internet for the next couple of weeks, so if that happens I won't be able to update until I do. But I will update soon as I possibly can!

As always, I hoped you enjoyed and thanks for reading!