Status: Ongoing

Cinderella Contract

Shocking News

“Would you try speaking to me less formally? It does not sit right with me here.” Maynard says, tapping his chest with a smile.

“Okay…I will speak more familiarly with you in the future, sire.” Maynard makes a ‘tsk’ noise at my response.

“Still too formal. Well, you will get better.” He smiles earnestly.

“So…why does Cyril hate you?”

“Because, I…” A knock on the door interrupts him. Relief on his face, Maynard opens the door. Cyril walks in with a scowl on his face.

“What are you doing here…” He asks, glaring at Maynard.

“Just thought I would get to know Risa a little better. What are you doing here?” Maynard sounds amused.

“Doesn’t concern you.” Cyril pushes past Maynard up to me. He seems to be glaring down at me. Then he suddenly drops to a knee.

“C-Cyril?” I stutter at his sudden movement, not sure what he is planning.

“How did this happen?” He looks at me now cleaned up knee with worry, whispering his words. A look he clearly does not show often.

“I fell.” I said simply, feeling a little awkward at my clumsy self. “It has stopped bleeding and does not hurt much anymore.”

“What were you doing out of my sight? You fell and got hurt? What are you, five?” His ton is exasperated, but his face is still filled with worry. He keeps reaching for my wound with timid fingers. “Wow…That’s horrible. Try dressing a little more suitably so this doesn’t happen.” I looked down, and averted my eyes away from his in shame.

“She was assaulted outside the castle. By a police officer…” I winced at Maynard’s words, remembering the co that pulled a gun on me.

“The police? Why would they attack her?” Cyril’s eyes widen in surprise, as he gets up from his kneeling position. “And wait, what were you doing outside the castle anyway?” He quickly glanced at me. I just looked down.

“Well, I was….” I started to explain myself, but Maynard cut in.

“Maybe because you were mean to her? If she is your wife, do not let her out of your sight. Care more about her.” Maynard had a smile on his face as he said this. Cyril looked uncomfortable.

“Shut up.” He said curtly.

“I guess you were too young to get married.” Maynard mused. “I will marry Risa in your place if you keep that up.” He grinned at me and I just looked away sheepishly. I do not really know how to feel…

“Don’t treat me like a child.” Frowning at Cyril’s outburst, Maynard’s face looks strained.

“Listen, Cyril. There are hardships that come with being a prince. You cannot forget that. You know you must never go out without guards.” For the first time, I heard Maynard speak sternly.

“What?” Cyril looked confused, I am sure he already knew about that.

“You need to teach that to Little Risa. She is going to be a princess. And do not forget to be cautious yourself, too.” Princess… Thinking of me as a princess just seems so far-fetched. I do not know anything about being royalty.

“I don’t need to be lectured.” Cyril just glares as usual, disliking being treated as a child.

“I hope you actually understand. Those who have power are either taken advantage of or hated. Do not forget that.” At Maynard’s unfaltering seriousness, both Cyril and I feel the pressure. I cannot leave unless I have guards… “Welllll, then. I do not want to get in the way of you kids making up. So I will be leaving. I do need my rest after all.” I never got an answer about him and Cyril…I will have to ask later I guess.

“Oh, and one more thing. Cyril, you seem to misunderstand. The king does not want the next in line to be the one who marries. He wants me to marry.” The instant Maynard opens the door, he murmurs without turning around. After he disappears behind the door, Cyril sarcastically swore under his breath.

“Look at me. I’m Maynard and I say whatever the hell I want! God, I hate him…” I sighed at Cyril’s words. Hate is too strong…

“Please, do not talk about him like that.” I looked at him sadly. I do not want him to hate his father, who is trying hard to get close with him.
“What’s your problem? Don’t look at me like that.” My gaze must have become judgmental. Cyril looks away uncomfortably. “What did he tell you? Was it…about me?” Cyril, not glancing at me, looks worried and upset.

“I am not telling.” I said teasingly, but also because Maynard really did not tell me anything.

“Hey!” Cyril looked at me with his face scrunched up.

“There are plenty of things you keep from me, right?” I countered.

“Apples and oranges! Don’t be so childish.” I wonder which one of us is the childish one…If you ask me, it is Cyril who has childish tendencies. I must get that impression from his arguments with Maynard. Cyril sits beside me and there is about a foot of distance between us.

“Are you taking his side?” Cyril averts his eyes to the side, avoiding mine. “I’m the one you married. And if some nut job is going to attack you in public, that means we really can’t get divorced. I mean…protecting you is part of the contract.” At first, I thought he had only protected me because he decided to marry me. But he protects me for other reasons too… “Hey, don’t space out on me. I hope you’re not seriously considering choosing him over me.”

“Well…Ah!” He grabs my shoulders forcefully. His gaze is frightening.

“He’s the lowest of the low. I don’t care if you hate me. Just don’t choose him.” His voice and face were serious. I felt a pang at his words. You do not care, huh?

“Why? Why do you hate your own father so much?” I look at him questioningly, curiosity filling my light brown eyes.

“Don’t call that man my father! That beast…killed his own wife!” After realizing what he said, Cyril clamps his mouth shut. It is clear he has said too much. My eyes widen at his outburst.

“What do you mean? Maynard’s wife? You mean, your mother? Is that why you hate him?” My hoard of questions seemed to make him more uncomfortable, but I so badly wanted to know what was going on.

N-not your business…” Doubts swim in my mind. To escape further questions, Cyril bolts out of the room and slams the door. I winced. What does he mean by that…? Maynard killed Cyril’s mother? Maynard’s playful face does not seem to belong to a murderer. I am not sure what to believe now.

The Next Day…

I open my eyes, hearing something. I realized I had fallen asleep while thinking about the two of them. What is that I hear next door? I am reluctant to leave my room in the middle of the night, but I cannot ignore the sad sounding voice from the next room. Whose room is that? I have no idea. With curiosity and anxiety in my heart, I tiptoe out of my room.

I knock on the door. There is no reply. After knocking many times, I take the knob in my hand, against my better judgment. Although I am sure the door should be locked, it swings open easily. Whose place is this? Cyril? Cyril is pinned to the bed, groaning in his sleep. I spot the crumbled sheets.

“No…I…will…Maynard…!” He is muttering about Maynard? Crying out in a rough voice, Cyril claws at the sheets. The sheets are in a wrinkled ball. He even dreams about Maynard? He looks like he is suffering. I cannot just leave him like this. I touch his tightly clenched fists. Suddenly Cyril jumps up.

“Who is it?!” Cyril’s hand grabs mine as his eyes shoot open. He grasps it so hard it hurts, and I cry out. “Risa…?”

“Yes.” I manage to mutter out.

“You can’t just barge in like that.”

“You were talking in your sleep. Are you alright?” I looked at him, my words dripping with worry.

“I wasn’t talking…You’re imagining things.” Cyril gets up slowly. I accidently catch sight of his clothes in disarray, and avert my eyes with pink cheeks. I can hear his breathing.

“Well, if you are alright. I will go back to my room then…I am sorry for barging in.” I turn from him, embarrassed, and pull my hand away. As I turn away, Cyril holds my hand tight.

“Don’t go. I didn’t tell you to go…” I search his eyes for any sense of teasing, but they are only serious.

“Bu-but…” I stuttered, feeling embarrassed at his sudden request. He is too bold!

“We’re married, it’s alright.” He nodded, reassuringly. Not taking into account the meaning of his demand.

“You mean, sleeping here?”

“Dammit. What do you…” He pulls me towards him and onto the bed. I gasped in surprise. Wh-what?! I looked into Cyril’s angry eyes. I try to turn away from him, but he wraps his arms around me.

“Ah, umm…” I fumbled around for words to say to get out of the embarrassing position, but nothing comes out. Cyril speaks instead.

“I’m tired.” He stays still, not showing any sign of letting me go. I sigh in defeat.

“You could at least let me turn around…” My voice trailed off, not sure how much it would help.

“Don’t you ever just shut up?” He says harshly. I can feel his heat just next to me and my face flushes. As I try to pull myself away a little, Cyril pulls himself closer to me. He takes a deep breath. “You’re so soft….You smell so lovely…” My face reddens deeply at his sudden sweet words.

“Ah! Do not speak like that…!” I felt completely embarrassed and shocked. Cyril stays quiet for a moment, looking away.

“Sorry, I’m cold.” He says, covering up his sweet words.

“Huh?”

“You left because I said I didn’t want to see your face.” I was just thinking that I wanted to run away…Did he sense that? “You didn’t think I could notice this kind of thing? I don’t get it.” I tried to hold my face up, but it is pinned down. Cyril moves closer and closer.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hope everyone has been enjoying their holidays :) (I got sick this week, but I am finally better).

Cyril is getting sneaky and smooth it seems! ;)

Thanks for subscribing and reading!