Status: Ongoing

Cinderella Contract

Learn to Love Me

“Don’t look up.” Cyril spoke sternly.

“Why not?” I asked, surprised.

“Shut up!” He looked away. I can hear his heartbeat. Hearing it makes my heart beat even faster. “I’m hard to sleep with, so you’ll probably leave again soon. But stay here…” He looked bashful and I giggled a little.

“Okay.” The room grows silent and I wonder for a second if he has already fallen asleep. But he breaks the silence soon after.

“Do you still think the person you marry should be someone you love?” I was not expecting that question, Cyril caught me off guard.

“But of course.” I kept my resolve. He sighed.

“Then you should learn to love me. Then there will be no problem.” He spoke matter-of-factly. I shook my head at is simple idea.

“But will you love me?” I asked, knowing he would probably say no.

“Ah…” Clearly he did not know what to say, which probably mean I was correct in my thoughts. I felt strangely disappointed.

“So even if I do learn to love you, it means nothing?” He finally looked at me, puzzled.

“What do you mean? If you love me, isn’t that enough?” I scoffed at his naivety. He really has no intention of caring for my own feelings… He decides things all on his own.

“But it is hard if the person you love cannot tell you they love you back....” I stared at him hard, hoping I could get through his obviously thick skull. He quickly looked away again with a strained face.

“I don’t know what the hell you’re talking about…Do you want me to tell you that?” He huffed. Cyril brought up the conversation but appears to be over it…

“You do not want to though.” I stated quietly, now it was my turn to look away. I hear the squeak of the bed springs. Before I can even react, Cyril is on top of me. Our faces are so close to each other that I cannot focus properly. I gasped.

“I’m sick of talking to you. Can’t you be quiet?” I lay silent, unable to move due to his sudden movement and harsh words. Ouch… In the pitch black room, only the red of his pupils shine. I can feel his hot breath and my mind goes blank. Then I feel a weight on my shoulders as I hear his regular breathing.

“Cyril? Are you listening to me? Please let go.” I spoke, unable to move much under his weight. Silence. “Are you asleep…?” I look at his face, which he tried so hard to hide from me, to see that his eyes are closed. I gaze at him intently. His eyelashes are so long…When he is quiet like this, he really is like a prince. It is the first time I have looked at Cyril’s face like this. I suddenly start to feel embarrassed and try to release myself from his arms to go back to my own room. As I try to get down from the bed, I feel something tugging at my top. I’m pulled back to the bed and gasp in surprise. His outstretched arms draw me back. I look up nervously as I feel his body heat pressed up against me, but it seems like Cyril is still asleep.

“Cyril…?” He does not answer. He holds his hands tight around my back and continues to snore. I hesitate for a moment but quickly realize I have nowhere to go. What should I do? I guess I have to sleep here now… Cyril’s face is calm and expressionless. Seeing that causes a strange pang in my heart. Trying not to think about anything, I rest my head on Cyril’s chest and close my eyes. Cyril does not talk again in his sleep that night.

Next morning.

I feel a vibration next to me and open my eyes. My eyes meet Cyril’s, which are only halfway open. But they quickly open up in shock.

“What are you doing here?” I gave him an incredulous look.

“Do you not remember yesterday?” I do not know if he is just not a morning person or if he really does not know why I am here. But his voice sounds very grumpy.

“Yesterday?” He looks away in thought.

“Yes.” I nodded.

“Yesterday…? The reason that you’re here…?” Does he really not remember?! I looked at him in disbelief.

“When I tried to go back to my room…” Before I can finish, Cyril forces himself away from me. He looks down at his hands that were just holding me. As he sees them, his face grows bright red and he looks embarrassed.

“You really do not remember anything?” I gave him a shocked look, not understanding how he could forget so quickly.

“Shut up!” He shouts, looking upset but is clearly still blushing like mad. How cute!

“Even though you were the one who held me so close…” I say somewhat seriously but also teasingly. It seemed to make him more upset.

“I never held you!” He shouted once more. [i[ He is quiet the funny guy; not allowing me to leave his side but then denying it the next day..

“Oh…” Was he just in a daze last night? From his words I could tell that he was awake. What does this all mean? I feel a fluttering deep in my heart. I cast my eyes down, and Cyril brushes my hair aside. It feels like the first time Cyril has ever touched me. He gives me a really unpleasant look, like I am some strange creature. Then, he suddenly looks away.

“If that’s what you really want…I guess I could let you sleep here sometimes.” W-what?!

“Okay…I will do my best.” I immediately gasped. W-what am I saying…? Cyril opens his mouth in shock, but quickly regains his composure.

“Hmm…This room is bigger than yours. And this bed is much more comfortable. Did you like it?” I remained silent. “What’s up with that face? You know, I said I’ve forgotten everything from last night. I’ve already completely forgotten your touch!” He sounds so harsh, but his face is flushed red. He places his lips on my cheek, as I look away in embarrassment. My face grows warm once again.

“Um, Cyril…” I tried to get some words out, but he cut me off.

“Be quiet! Stop talking…” I remained silent once more. “What is it? I’ve got things to do so tell me now!” Cyril shouts, unable to look me in the eyes. His face is still red.

“Um, it is just that…Is it alright if I ask you something about yesterday? About your mother. I mean, Maynard…” I tried changing the subject to something I have been curious about. Cyril’s expressionless scarlet eyes fix on me. His sharp gaze forces me to look away.

“You keep doing that. Why are you always looking away from me?” To my surprise, he sounded hurt.
“It is…the way you stare at me…” I say bashfully.

“Stare? Me? I’m sorry but this is the face I was born with…” Cyril says with a tired sigh. When I look up he is scratching his temple awkwardly. “It’s not like I’m angry at your question or anything.”

“I will just say as much as you think I should say, Cyril. I chose to ask you, not Maynard, but you could at least tell me something about yourself.” After thinking for a moment, Cyril opens his mouth.

“Maynard killed my mom. I can never forgive him…” I was stunned silent. “He took away everything that’s mine.” Cyril cannot finds the words to express what was inside him, but I can tell the enormous weight that he is carrying. I see his fists, clenched so tight the nails are digging into his hands. I reach out to him. He looks at me in surprise.

“Do not do that, you will hurt yourself.” He quickly glances away.

“This is nothing…I’m stronger than you.” I can see from Cyril’s shaking fingers that he is tense. Those hands loosen, and gently grasp mine. Usually when his hands are on me it hurts, but this time it is surprisingly soft.

“I do not know all about this, so I cannot understand everything you are feeling…But, it must be difficult having to hate your father like this.” Cyril’s eyes widen.

“I’ve never thought about that…” He trails off, obviously a little thrown off by my observation.

“I know it is probably not a happy thought for you Cyril. I just cannot think of Maynard as the kind of person who would do that.”

“I used to think so too…” Cyril sounded sad. Poor thing…

“Huh?” What did he mean?

“Dammit.” Still holding my hand, he slaps himself on the forehead. The silences that descends hurts.

“Should I leave you alone?” I ask, not sure what I am supposed to do now.

“Stay…Even you here is better than being alone.” As his words grow harsher, his hand holds me tighter. In complete contrast to his words, Cyril suddenly bursts out laughing. “What’s wrong with you now? I’m sick of that face.” He pinches my cheeks lightly. Now very close together, our eyes meet. “Hey, you keep talking about us being married, but I don’t remember ever doing this. Shouldn’t we at least kiss?”

“Huh? A…kiss? What are you talking about? I…” I stuttered, embarrassed by his sudden question. A-a…k-kiss?!

“Be quiet! Just do as you’re told and close your eyes.” He lifts my chin up with his fingers. I feel numb, I cannot move my body. I somehow manage to do as I am told and close my eyes. The feeling of him softly stroking my hair tickles. I can feel Cyril’s face slowly but certainly moving towards mine. I hear an out of place sound. When I open my eyes, Cyril is heading for the door. “You again…” My face turns bright red at the sudden events.

“You make that same face every time we meet. The reason I am here so early in the morning is that I have something important to tell you.” As he says that, Maynard’s eyes meet mine. Maynard’s eyes widen with surprise, then he thumps Cyril in the back. “Sorry that I disturbed you. I did not mean to.”

“You…you misunderstand!” I cry out with my face feeling hot, he nods to himself as if in consent. Cyril seems to be the one most surprised by the outburst. His eyes widen.

“Ah…I do not mean to pry. You are free to do as you please around here.” If my face was not bright red before, it was bright as a tomato now because of Maynard’s nonchalant words.

“What’d you come here for?” Huh? Cyril breaks the awkward atmosphere.

“Have you eaten something strange? You seem unusually meek. It makes your daddy happy.” Maynard grins.

“Don’t touch me!” Cyril jumps away, as he was about to get his head patted. Even so, Maynard breaks into a happy smile. Of course, Cyril’s mood has softened a bit. I wonder why? Is it because I said it must be hard hating his father? Surely not…

“Ah yes, the reason I came here. Father wants to tell the nation about Risa. To perform the ceremony of having her name added to our family…It is quiet an important step in choosing the next king.
♠ ♠ ♠
So it's been a long time since I posted...Sorry for those who are still interested! Got really sick the started school. I'm back!