Status: Ongoing

Cinderella Contract

A Contract

“Don’t talk to me.” Prince Cyril is glaring at Maynard. …Huh? For just a moment, Maynard’s expression clouds. But it is back to normal in the blink of an eye. Maybe just my imagination. “What are you looking at him for? Come on.” I look at him shocked.

“Uh, w-wait up!” He grabs my arm and pulls me along. Feeling like I am about to trip, I look back at Maynard. He just smiles and waves. Weird. “U-um! C-could you please let go? You do not have to drag me.” I stuttered. Prince Cyril looks like he’s thinking.

“If you’re not going to go running back to him, then fine.” He stops walking and lets go of my arm. I wonder if he is jealous. “…Your name.” He says quickly.

“Oh! Risa Minasaki. Sorry I have not introduced myself.” I bowed.

“I didn't forget."

"Oh." I was surprised he remembered my name.“U-um, Prince Cyril, I have not been able to thank you for what you did at the party and the airport!”

"It’s no big deal.” Prince Cyril brushes it off briskly which startles me. I divert my eyes. “I didn’t do anything worth thanking. Anyone would have lent a hand.” He looks embarrassed, his pale cheeks slightly pink.

“Um, can I ask about earlier? You said we were engaged to get that other man of my case. But Maynard, he...”

“Do not say his name.” Does he mean Maynard? “I will explain later. Anyone can overhear right now.” He sets off again, apparently done talking. I just give up and follow him. Then something interesting catches my eye.

“Um, Prince…?” He gives me a strange look.

“Don't call me that. I hate formalities.”

“Oh, Maynard said the same thing.” He sounds like Maynard. As soon as I say that, he scowls.

“Do not talk about him.” Silence fell between us. Does he...hate him? "Well, did you want something?"

“Oh.” I completely forgot about what caught my eye earlier. “That is a room, right? Why are there boards nailed to it?” Beyond where we were standing is a door that stands out because of the nail and board job that makes it look like it belongs more in a ruins than a palace. I wonder what is there?

“It’s nothing you need to worry about.” Cyril spoke quietly.

“But…” My curiosity is getting the best of me.

“You won’t like what you find.” His words only make me more curious, but I keep it to myself. I had to jog to catch up to Cyril. When I finally do, I end up in a large bedroom.

“You’ll be living here now. If you’ve got questions, ask them now. Get changed into this too. I’ll be outside. Yell if you need anything.” He dumps some clothes on me.

I took a minute to take in my surroundings. The room is too extravagant. The walls had a soft brown paisley pattern; along the top was a thick, white molding that had printed floral designs and was bordered with leaf carvings. The queen size bed had a rich brown finish with golden highlights; the posts curving in the way a rope would. The sheets and pillows were a light cream color, adorned with stitched in diamond designs; everything looked soft. The large mirror, 3-drawer nightstand, and 11-drawer dresser were all designed with the same rich brown color and design as the bed. Beautiful…Can I really stay here?

I finally shake out of my trance and decided to get dressed. I open the door quietly to see Cyril standing awkwardly as he waits. He looks up at me and our eyes lock.

“You’re to marry me.” He is still going on about that??

“But, why?!” I was not understanding.

“Don’t interrupt me. That guy that brought you here was the heir to his family.” I stayed silent at his words. Was he really that important/ “He didn’t listen to you at all, right? What with their family’s government positions, they pretty much get whatever they want done if they have their mind set to it.” I felt defeated as his words sunk in. “I got a bad feeling when he left. He was definitely very angry.” I sighed knowingly.

“…Right.” I looked down at the ground, upset with my current situation.

“…You want to go home, right? But while he is still mad…” Cyril shuts his mouth at this, which only makes me more worried. “A guy who uses his power like that can only be topped by someone with more power. His family would never think of going against me.”

“Because…you’re the prince?”

“…Yeah.” He seems uncomfortable.

“If I get to go back to my country now, I will be able to just put this all behind me.” I spoke with hope in my voice.

“You’re under their watch now.” I felt shivers inch down my spine at his words. “Worst case, it could be in the papers by tomorrow. I don’t think he will just keep quiet.” He thought to himself before speaking again. “I should have thought of something better. But that was all I had at the moment.” Marrying me was all he had?? “At the very least, I don’t think you will escape this by going home. They have companies across the globe.” I sighed, clearly upset.

“No way…” I felt tears prick my eyes. Why did this have to happen to me? Cyril sighed.

“They’re bound to give up though.” I feel dizzy and grab a nearby chair. I do not even know where to start.

“But there is no telling for sure that something will happen if I go home…” I was trying to think of ways to go back home and forget all this. “Plus, I…think it is wrong to get married to someone you do not even love.” Silent tears fell down my cheeks and Cyril kept quiet.

“Getting married to someone you don’t love is wrong?” He grabs my hand and takes me back into my ‘bedroom’ before I could protest. The distance between our lips quickly move to zero. I shut my eyes hard, face flushing completely red. His lips are soft…

“…Oh, you wanted it?” He pulled away, and I was left in shock. “Don’t get so serious, stupid. I am serious when I say we should be together. Until things cool off, at least. You can help.” I looked at him questioningly.

“Help?” What does he mean?

“It’s lucky you’re here. I've gotta get married, as well.” I tilt my head, questioning him with my eyes. “To kick out Maynard.” Maynard’s face floats into my mind and I remember the bright smile when I said his name. He does not seem like a bad person at all. So why? “He’s higher in order for the throne. The king says he will name him as king if he gets married.”

“So you are marrying me to steal the throne from Maynard?” I was baffled. I am being used…

“It’s just contractual. You don't get to say no though. Run from me, and you’ll just have that man to go back to. I bet you’ll love getting married to him.” Is he making fun of me?

“You are just strong-arming me!” I got upset, I was not expecting this. I glare at him with blame in my eyes, and he look away. Cyril’s face scrunches up.

“It’s not every day you get to marry the prince of a kingdom. I’d call that lucky for you.” His words and expression do not match. Cyril looks like he is chewing on something extremely bitter. Wanting to say something, I open my mouth.

"Yes...you are right."

"I guess I could apologize too. Sorry I'm not a prince on a white horse, or whatever..." I felt surprised and chuckled a bit. But I quickly remember I am caught.

“If you will help me, I will not do anything bad. I’ll treat you right.” My eyes widened.

“Are you…serious?”

“Would I joke about this? Once things have calmed down, you can do whatever. A year should be enough.” A year?? What about my home? And my job?? He gave me no room to protest. “All I want from you is two things. Be my wife and help me.”

His hand wavers before grasping me. "And do not betray me." Is it just my imagination, or does he look really serious about this? I cannot bring myself to look away from his smoldering, scarlet eyes. “You do not need to be scared. I will not be falling in love with you.” His bitter words settle in my chest heavily. It was like he said it out loud for both our sakes.

I do not really remember how the rest of the night went. I guess he left after saying that. I must have been just so defeated and exhausted that I plopped myself on the beautiful bed and fell asleep. Still tired, I get up. As if someone was waiting for this exact moment, I hear a knock sound at the door. Feeling nervous, I open it. Cyril.

“…Wow, look at that face.” I quickly rubbed my face, feeling embarrassed. “Did you sleep at all? I gave you the best room I could on short notice.” Is that what he was doing when I talked with Maynard? I guess he can be considerate. “If you can’t sleep, I’ll get you another one.” I shook my head.

“Did you need anything?”

“If you’re not feeling well, I can come back.” He begins to leave but I panic and grab his sleeve. “What? Don’t just touch me.” I felt a sharp pain at his cold words and let go. I look at my feet.

“You wanted something, right?” I say quietly, not looking up.

“Can you stop being so skittish with me? We are supposed to be natural together.” How can I be natural? I do not want to be married and I cannot even grasp his sleeve without him speaking so coldly!

“I-I’m not really your wife…”

“Whether you like it or not, the country has already heard. Most likely my grandfather, as well. The king.” I felt a headache coming in. Apparently the man from yesterday really did leak our story quickly, just like the prince predicted. If that is the case, I have no means of escape. I look at the clock and gasp.

“I have a flight at noon…” I just really wanted to go home, badly.

“I already contacted your company. It was easy to find out where you worked since we met at that one party. Only certain people can attend."

"B-but I told my family that I would be coming home today, too..." I said sadly.

"Someone from your company will be contacting them. Someone from your company will be contacting the airport.” I felt my knees go weak. I really cannot go home…
♠ ♠ ♠
Here's another chapter! Prince Cyril is so serious! But at least he can be somewhat considerate, right?

Thank you for commenting and subscribing :)