Status: Ongoing

Cinderella Contract

A Quarrel Between Father and Son

It was not too long since all this started… It is all happening so fast. “Prince.”

“Just call me Cyril. Titles are such a pain.” He spoke curtly.

“…O-okay.” Cyril… “Did you tell the king about me?” My voice sounds forced, but he does not seem to mind as he just nods. It cannot be this simple for a prince to get married, right? Maybe the king could make this go away. “Um…Could I possibly meet him? I would be grateful if I can see him sooner rather than later.”

“You? See my grandfather?” He thought for a moment. “Well he is not busy, so it is possible. Don't forget what I told you yesterday. Do not betray me.” My heart leaped. It is almost like he read my mind. I shake my head and smile awkwardly. Has he caught on? Cyril grasps my hand as he leads me down various halls to a room that looked like a grand office. He knocked on the door softly, as an older man looked up at us.

“This is Risa Minsaki. Risa, this is the King.” I bowed towards the man. He has soft, dark red hair. His calming eyes are the same color as Cyril’s. However, possibly because of the friendly aura the king projects, they look nothing alike.

“Hello, Miss Risa.” He had a soft smile, his eyes looked as if they were filled with wisdom.

“U-um. Hello!” I bowed again and the king just chuckled. I blushed. Cyril just moved on quickly to state the matter.

“…So, yeah. We’re getting hitched. The wedding will be soon. I don't really want a big thing though.” I still cannot get used to hearing this.

“Hold on, Cyril. Miss Risa? Looks like my grandson has been in your hands.”

“Y-yes.” I answered, quite nervous. The king seems very warm and kind. But…

“My, you were serious? Little Risa, are you sure?” Maynard has walked into the room. “It will be a lot of suffering being married to him.” He smiles at me. His smile makes him look like the king. The room is quiet for a moment, as we wait for Cyril’s response.

“You said Maynard would get the throne if he got married. But he clearly does not want to marry. So you should pass that right on to me.” Cyril says boldly.

“Cyril, watch yourself. I understand where you are getting at.” The king lectures Cyril on his princely behavior before falling into thought. Suddenly, the sound of Maynard’s smooth laugh echoes throughout the office room.

“You are barely out of your diapers! You have certainly learned to talk big, Cyril.” Maynard appears amused. I stay quiet, deeming that this is not a matter for me to interject.

“Stop that Maynard. I understand you are happy about your son being in your life again, but you might get on his bad side even more.” Son? I guess it makes sense. My eyes still widened slightly.

“Can one who makes decisions without any input from others really lead a country? Not that this marriage of yours really makes you stand a chance of being accepted by the king.” I felt the sting of his words. But I could not help but think that if this keeps up, I might go free. “Plus, it looks a little too much like you are getting married just to take the throne.” Cyril’s face shows shock, but that quickly fades as it darkens. You can cut this tension with a knife…

“Little Risa. Do you really love Cyril?” I notice the king nod deeply, agreeing with Maynard’s question. I can feel all three pairs of red eyes on me.

“I-I…” Words could barely make it beyond my lips.

“The fate of this country will change depending on your answer.” I winced at Maynard’s words. All of the sudden, a large weight has been placed on my shoulders.

“Don’t pressure her like that!” Cyril got angry.

“Cyril, silence. Risa, if you understand what Maynard has said, then please tell us your answer. Do you love Cyril?”

“I…do.” W-what am I saying?! I am not really sure why I lied, it just came out. I could not forget the look on Cyril’s face when he told me not to betray him. I stole a glance at Cyril, who was looking at me. He is covering his mouth and looking away in an exaggerated fashion.

“Perhaps you are feeling threatened.” Maynard said calmly.

“Yes, perhaps we are rushing things.” The king nodded in agreement. “I feel bad for the poor dear. Risa, ask your heart this question again.” I somehow manage a nod. I am so nervous that my heart feels as if it is about to explode.

“As long as this relationship between my foolish son and little Risa remains suspicious, we should put these talks on hold. It is already the talk of the country.” Already?! Oh no…

“I accept this marriage. We will also have a celebration” I look at the king, surprised by his words. “However, we will not discuss succession yet. Let us leave at that for now.” I can see Cyril’s fists balling tightly. “Now, Maynard. What about you? You have seen the way Cyril acted, do you not suspect it has something to do with your flippant lifestyle?”

“Is it so flippant?” Maynard feigns confusion, but you can tell from his eyes he knows.

“I am always telling you this. Get married already.” The king appears concerned for his son.

“Well…” He pulls me towards him by my arm. I look up to see Maynard smiling at me. He lightly kisses me on the cheek and my mind goes blank. “I would marry little Risa here in a heartbeat. Not so interested in anyone else.” Ah! My eyes widen as I blush deeply. I look down at my feet, unable to meet the king’s or Cyril’s eyes.

“Don’t be ridiculous! Don’t just touch her!” Cyril pulls me towards him, clearly angry. He is glaring daggers at his father.

“Calm down Cyril. Maynard is just joking. I know, let us have Risa pick the future king.” You have got to be kidding me! I gave the king a disbelieving look.

“Wh…WHAT?!”

“Oh, I like that.” Maynard nods, grinning. “You can break it off with Cyril, and be my bride."

"You must be insane, to try and steal someone else's bride." C-Cyril?!

"I like her. What do you want from me? Or does this make problems for you?” He looks at Cyril.

“Obviously! She’s my…!” My eyes meet Cyril’s. As he is about to say something, his face immediately flushes.

“Your what? Tell us all, Cyril.” Maynard seems to be enjoying himself. I am just at a loss for words. How can they pin choosing the king on me?

“Screw you!” Cyril yells so loudly I jump. Not even trying to hold his irritation in, he clicks his tongue. “…I ain’t gonna lie.” He mumbles, maybe to himself. I doubt the king or Maynard heard as he speaks so softly. I look at him and he glares back. Oh… I look down.

“If she is your lover, say lover. If she is your wife, say wife. Little Risa wants to know too, right?” Maynard looks at me once more.

“M-me?” But we are not really lovers…It will just be awkward. Plus, ”I will never fall in love with you.” I can still hear him saying that. Cyril would never call me his lover.

“Hey now, Maynard. Back off a little.” The king says softly.

“Oh my, maybe I went too far. Do not be so angry, okay?” Maynard stretches out his hand to Cyril’s hair. It reminds me of when he rustled my hair last night. But…

“Don’t touch me.” The red on Cyril’s cheeks has disappeared. He slaps Maynard’s hand away. “How many times do I have to tell you? Stay away from me.” I wonder what makes him so cold to his own father…

“Cyril…” Maynard says slowly.

“And stop calling me by my name. It is not for your mouth to utter.” I winced. Ouch... Poor Maynard.

“Cyril, that was too harsh.” The king looks strained. I feel tired watching these two as well. His angry frown looks much like Cyril’s.

“You don’t think anything of this, grandfather? Oh, I see. It is not like I’m your family, after all.” What is he talking about? I just stand there, not moving as the air remains thick. I am oblivious to what is going on, an outsider. “How much do you have to steal from me? Wasn’t mom enough?” I can see the hurt in Cyril’s harsh eyes.

“Cyril!” A long-buried pain is mixed into Maynard’s voice. Cyril says these terrible things with no change in his expression. It scares me.

“I said don’t use that name. I can’t stand to be here anymore. Come, Risa.” Also wanting to escape from the tension of this room, I try to follow.

“W-wait!” But Cyril just leaves without me and the door closes mercilessly. Do I go after him?

"I am sorry Risa. That must have surprised you a bit." Maynard spoke sadly.

"Yes..." I nodded.

"My son is going through a horrible rebellious phase. So this sort of thing happens now and then."

"I...see..." Not really sure how to respond, I speak awkwardly.

"If you just give him some space, he will go back to normal. So do not worry about it." This seems a bit extreme for a rebellious phase... I get the feeling there is more to it, but I should stay out of it. I nod, and begin to leave to find Cyril. But someone grabs my arm.

“Maynard?” I looked back, the king looked confused.

“…Oh. Sorry, I did not mean for that to happen.” Maynard’s hand is quickly removed from me. He looks down at his hands and smiles bitterly. This is not the same Maynard I met yesterday. I wonder if he is really okay? “Ah…Sorry I scared you. It is a common problem, is it not? A man not knowing what to do about his son going through his rebellious phase.” His bitter smile is immediately replaced with a thoughtful one.

“Well…” I was not sure what to say to this.

“So many new things I do not know. I guess I have complicated circumstances.” He sighs.

“Complicated circumstances?” I question, tilting my head in curiosity. “Oh!” Maynard tussles my medium-length hair and kisses my forehead. His hand finds my cheek as I blush shyly.

“You are bright red, Risa.” Maynard grins. He is back to his normal self.

“Wh-what are you doing out of nowhere!”

“Risa, do not encourage him. Go see Cyril at once. He has no one to depend on.” The kings says, causing Maynard to remove his hand. Encourage him?!

"Wait, does he not have a nice father too? I am going to cry here."

"You have never cried, and you know it. Now Risa, Cyril told you to come with him didn't he? He is waiting." I nod.

“Y-yes, sire.” I bow awkwardly.

“And don’t you try to delay her, Maynard.” The king spoke sternly.

“I was not trying to delay her. My hands just slipped…” Maynard gave me a wink.

“Good grief…” I do not understand what the king is talking about, but his smile seems to be both exasperated and amused. I could not help but relax in the now calm environment and give a soft smile back. So many questions I need answered. I thought, but I leave them be to go see Cyril.
♠ ♠ ♠
So! Some tension going on between father and son. I wonder what that is about!

Thank you to my readers and subscribers :)