Status: Updates every other Wednesday :) (On short Hiatus!)

Change Your Ticket

012

The first game of the season was tonight. My feet never left the side lines. My jersey wasn’t soaked in sweat like it usually was. The familiar rush I got when I stepped out on the field was no where to be felt.

It was weird, not playing. For the first time in years I stood to watch the game rather than to play in the game. It was as if someone was teasing me. I didn’t like it. I didn’t like wearing a clean uniform. I didn’t like having to cheer when a play was made, knowing I could make a better one. I didn’t like it one bit.

It was frustrating. I could be at home with Josylne starting at UMASS. Instead, I’m stuck across the country as a second string quarterback. This was not how I envisioned my college years.

“Are you coming out with us tonight?” Derrick asked.

That’s how I envisioned college. Playing games on Saturdays and going out for drinks after a win. Just like we used to do at old Mass High, only more alcohol involved. Derrick wouldn’t have had to ask the old Parker. The one who drank to conceal feelings. The one that didn’t have a girlfriend to think about in his drunken stupors. But I wasn’t the old Parker and I haven’t been for a while.

“It’s gonna be chill,” Derrick continued. “Just the guys and some of the spirit girls. It’s off campus so we won’t get busted for anything.”

All I wanted to do was head to my dorm and skype Josylne. I was in dire need of one of her pep talks and I knew she’d have one ready. As much as I wanted to decline the invitation, I couldn’t. Josylne’s words echoed in the back of my mind, telling me to be apart of this team. If I was ever going to play on this team I was going to have to get to know them.

“Yeah, alright I’ll come with you guys.”

The house was a block away from campus. From what I gathered on the ride over, the house has belonged to the football team for decades. Each senior class players inherits it. It was actually a nice house with little damage to it; which was surprising since the football boys were just as serious about parties as the frats.

I quickly lost Derrick in the crowds of people. This was definitely more than just the team and the spirit girls. I maneuvered my way over to the kitchen, avoiding the dance floor filled with tipsy college students. The kitchen was stocked with several varieties of alcohol, it put Jason’s display to shame. I grabbed the closest sealed container before heading to the backyard.

For a moment it’s like I’m back home. The backyard resembles Jason’s almost perfectly, with people scattered around the yard. As much as the backyard resembled Jason’s it wasn’t. I didn’t have a clue who any of these people are and more importantly Josylne was not attached at my hip.

Feeling a tap on my shoulder, I turned around. The red head from the laundry room was standing in front of me, a red cup situated in her manicured hand. “We just keep running in to each other,” she giggled.

Something tells me her running into me wasn’t a coincidence. After spending so many years with Charlie I had learned enough of the scheming ways of girls. As far as I was concerned this was a Charlie 2.0, but less hostile. For now.

“I’m Charlotte,” she said, thrusting out her hand.

“Parker,” I said, ignoring her hand. I quickly excused myself from her and headed back inside the house. I did not need another crazy girl hanging on to my every word. That was one aspect of high school I was eager to leave behind.

* * *


The screeching sound of the Skype dial tone was music to my ears. After the night I had all I wanted to do was talk to Josylne. Two more rings rang through, before her face took over my laptop screen. She was still in pajamas, rubbing the sleep from her eyes before smiling.

“You know, you guys would have won by more points last night if you were playing,” she smirked.

“I know,” I said. “How’d you guys do on Friday?”

“Still undefeated!” she beamed. Her face quickly fell as she glanced around her room. Her voice dropped to almost a whisper. “So we have a slight problem.”

“How slight of a problem?”

“Promise you won’t freak out?” she asked. Telling me not to freak out meant it was more than just a slight problem. “Miranda might be pregnant.”

My first instinct was to laugh but when Josylne didn’t join in with me I knew she wasn’t kidding. Miranda was pregnant? Jayden had slept with my sister and gotten her pregnant. He had done the exact thing he was so traumatized I was going to do to his sister.
“I’m going to kill him,” I growled.

“Parker you can’t,” she cried out. “I don’t know for sure yet.”

“What do you mean you don’t know. She’s either pregnant or she’s not, Jos.”

While Josylne told me why I couldn’t kill Jayden, my mind raced. I can’t believe this. Miranda is seventeen she can’t be pregnant. Josylne reassured me that it could have been a false test, promising she would find out soon. That didn’t calm my nerves at all. My baby sister could be having a baby. I needed to lie down.

“Are you okay?” Josylne questioned.

“Yeah fine,” I breathed. I took a few more deep breaths before sitting back up. “Since we’re talking about problems, this girl might be flirting with me,” I confessed. Before I left I promised to tell Josylne the truth from now on and for once I intended to keep the promise.

Her face hardened, her eyes narrowing into a scowl, “She’s either flirting or she’s not.”

“She’s definitely flirting, but I’m not.”

“I’d hope not,” she said. “On a scale of one to accusing you of assaulting her, how crazy is she?”

“Crazy enough to use the funny to be running into you line,” I said.

“Dammit Parker, why do you always have to attract crazy girls?”

“‘Cause then I wouldn’t have met you,” I teased. She mumbled a few profanities under her breath before chuckling at my words. That was the Josylne I loved, not the one who was worried over other girls. “Hey you’ve got nothing to worry about, okay?”

“Damn right I don’t. I just don’t want to fly to LA to kick some sense into this girl.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry for the lack of updates lovelies. Life's been kind of crazy which tends to infringe upon my writing schedule. I'm going to try my hardest to get another update out next week but my birthday is coming up and I have a few other things planned so no promises. I can promise you that if not next week than definitely the week after that. Unfortunately I might have to go to updating this story once every two weeks, I'll let you know though.

I hope you guys enjoyed this chapter and it makes up for my absence. Please stick with my and keep commenting, your support means the world to me. Thanks lovelies x.