‹ Prequel: You Never Know
Status: Work in Progress - i will try to update weekly if school allows

Starting Over

11. Continued

11. Continued

(Regular POV)

The Madhouse was rocking.

Nicole could feel the energy as the crowd chanted. The volume rose once the lights dropped, followed by the Blackhawks taking the ice. The barn erupted in cheers; the volume surpassing anything Nicole had experienced before.

Nicole felt a tap on her shin and turned to see Andrew smirking at her, “Unreal isn’t it?” he nodded toward the crowd.

Nicole had to lean close to be heard as the Flyers took the ice; the crowd was booing for all they were worth, “It’s much better to be on this side of the line.”

Shaw laughed, shaking his head as he skated off to start his pregame warm-up.
Nicole skated over and grabbed a puck to play with; Kane was doing the same while watching the others run drills.

“You ready for this?” Patrick asked as Nicole stopped next to him; he was genuinely concerned, having never played with a girl – he had missed most of the preseason.

Nicole stole his puck, “Hell yeah! I’m ready to go,” she gave Kane a playful shove as the warm up came to an end.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

(Regular – Game POV)

Both anthems ended as Nicole tapped the ice three times – once for each of her brothers. She was on the starting line with Johnny, Hossa, Keith, and Seabrook, Corey was in net.

She found herself lined up against Max; no doubt, the Flyers chose that match on purpose to try and throw her off.

“You ready for this, mon fille?” Max asked as they bent down; both ready to receive the puck that one of the Captains would win.
“Oh, you are so done, Talbot,” Nic chirped back causing her off ice friend to laugh.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The game was a constant battle. Every shift, one of the Flyers would be in Nicole’s ear – several times she found herself shoved from behind into the glass. The Blackhawks had scored twice in the first period and the Flyers answered in the second. Time was ticking down – it looked like overtime would be the decider.

Shaw had taken a penalty for trying to fight Giroux; he had boarded Nicole but no call was made. The Blackhawks found themselves on a penalty kill with less than two minutes remaining.

Coach Q called for Nicole to stay on the ice as Toews, Hjalmarsson, and Oduya hoped over the boards. The Flyers won the draw and was able to get a quick shot off. Corey blocked it and the puck popped out to Niklas. He sent it around the glass; Johnny picked the puck up and danced around Talbot.

Nicole raced up the ice as Toews entered the Flyers zone; it was a two on one. Johnny looked as if he was going to shoot; Mason dropped lower in the goal – his full attention on number 19. Johnny shot – the puck deflected off of Mason’s pads and bounced to Nicole. She managed to get a shot off; a body slammed into her; the horn sounded and Chelsea began to play.

The Blackhawks rushed the ice to congratulate Nicole on her GWG. She was just picking herself up off the ice when Shaw slammed into her again; knocking both against the glass.

“Thatta baby, Nic!” Shaw had to yell directly into her ear in order to be heard.
“We won Andy!” Nicole was laughing as the others piled against them; cheers from her new team came from all directions before the dog pile dispersed. The group saluted the crowd before heading off ice.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

(Regular – After Game POV)

Nicole, Toews, and Crawford were the three stars of the night. Toews and Crow took it in stride but Nicole dreaded the process – not that she wasn’t flattered by the recognition – but she hated dealing with the Press that came with being a “star”.

As she settled into her stall, she scanned the small group in front of her. Most were new to Nicole but a couple she did recognize.

“Hi guys. Who’s going first?” Nicole asked; making the small group laugh.

A middle aged man gave the opening question, followed but several typical game related questions. Nicole answered each question as best as she could until a voice from the past broke through.
Cassandra Jinx – the woman who had threatened to try and expose Nicole’s relationship with Sidney and Max.

“How is your relationship with your new team?”
For a split second, Nicole thought about ignoring the woman, but decided against it, “The team has been very welcoming.”

Nicole turned to answer a different question but Cassandra broke through, “How was your experience playing an Ex……teammate that is,” Cassandra gave Nicole a sly smile; the woman reminded Nicole of a snake – waiting to bite at the first chance.

“At the end of the day all friendships are paused when we step onto the ice. It did seem strange in warm ups to see Max in orange and white, but I’m sure it was strange for him to see me in red,” Nicole was doing her best to keep a calm face; the reporter was getting on her nerves with the innuendos.

Just then the Hawks head of press called time.
Cassandra gave Nicole a smug smirk before leaving the lock room.

Nicole heard a low whistle and turned to see several of the guys looking at her.

“What?” Nicole questioned; slightly harsher than necessary.
Sharpie answered, “That was frigid, Nicole. What’s up with you and the blonde?”

Nicole glanced at Johnny before answering, “She threatened to expose my relationship with Sidney and Max when I was in Pittsburgh. She never got her story so now I guess she’s here to harass me some more.”

Andrew piped up, “You had a relationship with Max?”
Johnny cut over, “Make sure to tell Oliver; he’ll make sure she isn’t allowed back in here.”
“I can handle her Johnny, but I’ll keep that in mind just in case,” Nicole looked at Shaw, “And yes. I dated Maxime for a few months before Sidney and I got together.”

“What happened? Brent asked as the group made their way to the parking garage.
Nicole shrugged, “He cheated; I broke up with him; now we’re friends.”

The group didn’t press for information; it wasn’t the place to be asking anyway.

“Are you going out with us?” Kaner asked when the group dispersed to their respective cars.
“Not tonight,” Nicole said, reaching for her door handle.

Patrick chuckled, “Good, you can take Captain Bordon home with you,” Pat motioned toward Jonathan who was talking with Saad.

Nicole smiled, “No problem.”
“I didn’t think it would be,” Kaner was laughing as he walked away to inform the Captain of the new riding arrangements.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

(Johnny’s POV)

The ride back to the building was quiet but comfortable. Music was playing softly over the system as I watched Nicole out of the corner of my eye.

I see her smile softly before she says, “Are you going to watch me the whole way home?”
I blush, “Sorry. Didn’t mean to stare.”

Nicole laughs, “Don’t worry about it Johnny, “She pulls into her parking space, “I know I’m hot.” Nicole gives me a playful shove before hopping out of her seat.

I jump out and grab Nicole before she can move past me, pinning her between the car and myself, “No Nicole. You are beautiful,” She looks stunned and slightly perplexed so I continue, “Hot is cheap. You are classic – poised grace and elegance. Don’t ever let a man call you ‘hot’ – you are so much more than that.”

I stare down into her dark eyes; for the first time, I see flecks of green and amber hidden within their depths.

A car enters the garage; breaking us from our close proximity.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

(Nicole’s POV)

The ride to our floor was tense. Johnny’s words were still bouncing around in my mind. Johnny was so different from other man I’ve talked to or have tried to get to know.

The media saw a stoic, habitual man who only cared about hockey; but he was much more than that. He was kind and patient; he always seemed to know what to say when I needed it. He also seemed to understand how I functioned better than anyone else. The chemistry was natural between us.

I felt Johnny’s hand take mine, causing me to look up, “This is us, Nicole.” He smiles and leads me out of the elevator.

We walk past his door to mine, “Do you want to come in?” I ask when we stop at my door.
Toews gives me a smile, “Give me a minute and I’ll be right there,” he leans over and kisses my cheek before walking back to his apartment.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

(Nicole’s POV)

I take the opportunity to change out of my game attire into something more comfortable. Walking back into the front of the apartment, I grab two Gatorade's and sit on my couch – the T.V. was turned to ESPN with the volume low.

I hear a soft knock before Johnny walks into the room. He turns the lights off and sinks down next to me, close enough that I shift into his side. I change the channel to a movie that we had both seen several times. Ten minutes into the movie I can feel him shift; his arm is resting behind my head, playing with my hair as it hangs down.

“I like your hair better down,” Jonathan’s lips brush my ear as he speaks; his hand runs through my dark locks and down my neck – hitting the sensitive spot that makes me shiver.

My body responds to his touch and he smirks. U turn and gaze into his chocolate eyes; I can see the lust and longing as he meets my gaze.

Johnny leans close; my breath catches; he stops short and pulls back slightly, “Can I kiss you?”
I can see the genuine concern; he waits for my answer, “Yes.”

Johnny closes the gap; gently caressing his lips across mine. His hand runs back through my hair as one gently cradles my face. I feel his tongue brush against my lips – asking for entrance. I grant it and he deepens the kiss.
♠ ♠ ♠
A blast from the past brings a little drama to Nicole's new life

How do you guys think it will play out?
Should i keep Cassandra Jinx or send her out quietly?

How do you guys feel about Johnny and Nicole finally releasing some of their sexual tension?

this is PG-13 so i cant write smut - truthfully i don't feel comfortable writing smut

as always all comments and suggestions are welcomed!
Let me know what you guys think!