‹ Prequel: You Never Know
Status: Work in Progress - i will try to update weekly if school allows

Starting Over

17. Birthday Surprises

17. Birthday Surprises

(Johnny’s POV)

I woke early the next morning, sunlight was just peeking through the window. Nicole was wrapped in my arms, soundly asleep. Quietly, I untangled myself and silently walked to the door. It was Nicole’s birthday and I planned on treating her.

Breakfast was first on the agenda for the day. I pulled out the necessities for Nic’s favorites: Cinnamon raisin French toast stuffed with sweet cream filling, then topped with glazed strawberries, a dusting of powdered sugar and cool and creamy whipped topping.

The trainers would kill us if they found out about this carbo splurge, but I was not about to tell them. Finishing, I plated the food, fixed a mug of hot chocolate, and placed everything on a tray.

I walked back down the hall and peeked into the room. The sunlight is falling across the mattress – bathing the room in a soft light. Nicole had snuggled into my pillow, one arm stretched across where I had been sleeping. I smiled at the sight.

I walked over and placed the tray on the bedside table.

“Baby,” I say softly, “Baby wake up.”

Nicole shifts under my touch and lets out a sigh before burying her face deeper into my pillow.

“Come on sweetheart, I brought food,” I coax.
Nicole rolls back over and opens her eyes, giving me a soft smile as she places her hand against my cheek, “Hey you.”

I kiss her fingers, “Happy birthday babe. You hungry?”
Nicole sits up and gives me a kiss which I greedily accept, “I’m always hungry. What did you make?”
“Your favorite – Stuffed French toast with Strawberries.”

I place the tray over her lap. She cuts off a corner and takes a bite – a smile of pure bliss crosses her features.

I lean over and kiss her forehead, “Eat up baby. We have a full day ahead of us.”
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I pulled the SUV out of the parking garage and headed east. I was taking Nicole to Shedd Aquarium; she had been wanting to go but our busy schedule hadn’t left us free time until now.

“Soooo….where are we going?” Nicole asks from the passenger seat.
“You’ll see soon enough.”
“Come on Johnny; just a little hint?” Nicole turns her best puppy dog look on me.
“Oh no, that’s not going to work today,” I laugh as Nicole pouts.

She sits back in her seat and starts singing along quietly with the radio. Thirty minutes later, we are pulling into the parking area.

“No way!” excitement radiates off of Nicole as she hurriedly exits the car.

I laugh and grab the bright blue toque she left sitting on the dash.

“Slow down Nic,” I wrap an arm around her waist and pull the toque securely on her head, “There, better?”
“Nice and toasty,” Nicole says, giving me a peck.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

(Nicole POV)

I’m practically bouncing as Johnny and I walk into the building – the only thing anchoring me to the ground is Johnny’s fingers laced through mine.

“Good morning and welcome to Shedd Aquarium. My name is Jackie, I will be your guide for the day and this is Charlie he will be your personal photographer during your experience,” a petite blonde woman around the age of thirty had walked up and introduced herself.

“Nice to meet you; I’m Jonathan and this is Nicole,” Johnny shakes her hand and I offer mine next.
“Ah, the Birthday girl. Well we have a special experience for you today. If you will follow me,” Jackie’s eyes sparkle when she says this.

We follow the older woman down several back halls to what must be the staff changing room. Jackie hands us each a wetsuit and instructs us to change and what locker we could store our personal items in; after changing, she leads is down more halls to a kitchen.

“This is where we spend our morning preparing the food for the residence here at the aquarium. Put on these gloves and I’ll show you the proper way to clean fish,” Jackie hands over two pairs of gloves.
“What do you do here at Shedd?” I ask as we clean.

Jackie smiles, “I have a degree in Marine Biology and in Veterinarian Medicine, so I come in contact with all the creatures her at Shedd. But I started volunteering in high school; that dealt mainly with cleaning enclosures.”

“So. do you have a favorite here?” Johnny asks; we finish with the fish and start cleaning the kitchen area.

“Stevie; you’ll meet him at the live show,” Jackie picks up the bucket of cleaned fish and leads us out the door, “Now, our first stop on the agenda is the stingray habitat.”

Jackie climbs into the low-rise tank first then helps me in with Johnny following after. The water is about three feet deep and hits me right above my hips; this is so both adults and kids can pet the rays as they swim by the walls.

“Now when you feed stingrays, you are going to take the fish and pace it in your hand. Let your fingers stay loose; you don’t want the fish to fall out but you don’t want to clutch the fish either. They will swim up and take it from you.”

Johnny and I both take the raw fish and lower our hands into the water. It only takes a couple of seconds before the first two rays swim up and take the fish from us.

I let out a giggle at the feeling, “That’s so cool.”
“Like suction cups,” Johnny says, giving me a smile.

We continue for ten more minutes, we even feel brave enough to touch a couple that came closer to the surface. Charlie is snapping photos nonstop.

“Okay guys if you’re ready, we will be moving to the Penguin enclosure next,” Jackie lets us climb out first and Charlie joins us near the door.

“Now, there are seventeen types of penguins in the world. We have two here: the Magellanic penguin and the Rockhopper penguins. We also have several chicks that were recently hatched.”

We walk into the penguin enclosure and are bombarded by the pungent smell and calls from the birds. The small, flightless birds waddle near us, some are perched on the rocks others are diving in and out of the water.

“Do they know it’s feeding time?” I ask as one of the Rockhoppers waddles nearer.
“Yes; that’s why they are calling so loudly. Penguins are vocal birds but when they know they are about to be fed they get louder,” Jackie has to raise her voice to be heard.

“Kind of like Shawzie,” Johnny says, causing me to laugh.

Jackie smiles at the two of us before continuing, “Now to feed these guys, you basically toss the fish to them. Don’t let them take the fish directly from your hands; you could lose a finger if you get too close to their food.”

“Exactly like Shawzie,” Johnny whispers close to my ear.

We both take the fish and toss them – the noise becomes defining. Soon, Jackie signals for us to make our way back out the door. She leads us to a room, with Charlie in tow, which looks like a veterinary clinic. I can hear soft chirping and scan the room.

“What is that?” I ask when I see a lump of fluff.
“This is one of the chicks I was telling you about. We weigh and measure them every day. This sweet girl belongs to Poppy and Jeramiah.”

Jackie reaches into the box and pulls out the chick. She is mostly gray with black tipping and a white stipe close to her eyes. Jackie hands the Chick to me, warning me to be gentle. The gray fuzz is as soft as down and I immediately cradle the baby bird closer to my body. The chick snuggles closer, trying to take in some of my body heat.

“She’s so cute,” I gush, I feel Johnny wrap his arm around my shoulders and gently pets the feathery down.

“Ouch!” Johnny exclaims, the chick had latched onto his finger.
“Careful babe, she bits,” I razz; Johnny gives me a look before shaking his head.

“Have you named her?” he asks Jackie.
“We usually wait until their personalities start to show. This girl nearly died but she showed that she’s a fighter; if you have a suggestion….” Jackie trailed off.

“Nova,” the tips of Johnny’s ears turn red when he makes the suggestion.

Jackie ponders the suggestion, “Hmm….Nova – a new star; coming from chaos to show in sudden brightness – I like it. I will give the suggestion to the naming committee.”

We place Nova back in her crate and follow Jackie out of the Clinic.

We visit the beluga whales next. Max and Molly preform several tricks for us and Jackie even lets us give the signals. Jackie shows me the signal to ‘Spray’ and, when given, Max and Molly both shoot water from their mouths at Johnny. He takes it good-naturedly though and splashes me back only to be hit again by Max. Charlie catches the whole incident on film.

“Our next stop is the mid-day show. You’ll be able to watch most of it but as a Trainer for a Day you will be brought up on stage with Stevie.”

Jackie shows us our seats and we watch as trainers send dolphins through complicated routines, Max and Molly make an appearance, Poppy – Nova’s mom – waddles out for an educational session, and finally Jackie comes to collect us for our grand entrance with Stevie.

“Now our next animal friend is quite a favorite around here at Shedd. He is a good natured fellow who loves the ladies….Ladies and gentlemen the one, the only – Stevie the Sea lion!” Jackie introduces Stevie as he hops across the stage and does a lap in the pool.

“We also have a couple of special guest with us today….From the Blackhawks, your captain, Mr. Jonathan Toews! And a special welcome to the birthday girl of the day, Defender for the Blackhawks, Miss Nicole Green!”

The crowd erupts into cheers for each of us as we take the stage and Stevie is ‘clapping’ as well.

“Now Jonathan, Nicole, I would like to introduce you to my good friend Stevie. Stevie, say hello.”

Stevie holds out a flipper for me and I shake it, “Nice to meet you Stevie.”
Johnny goes to shake Stevie’s flipper, but Stevie pulls it away and blows a raspberry, causing the crowd to roar with laughter.

“Now Stevie! That was not very nice,” Jackie chastises, “Tell Mr. Toews you’re sorry.”

Stevie hinds his face under his flipper like he’s embarrassed; the crowd awes.
Jackie has Stevie run through his routine but lets us give him fish rewards. He bounces a ball to Johnny, does a flip out of the water for me, and ‘sings’ for both of us.

“Okay Stevie, I think it’s time for Jonathan and Nicole to say goodbye. Would you like to give Nicole a kiss?”

Stevie gives his best impression of a smile and Jackie whispers in my ear before telling me, out loud, to lean in. I do and I feel a wet nose press against my cheek. I step back as the crowd awe’s again.

“What about one for Jonathan?” I ask – Stevie blows another raspberry.

“Pretty please,” I say, I can hear the crowd snicker in several places. Stevie nods his head one quick time and hops off his rock before heading closer to Johnny.

Johnny gives me an appraised look but lowers his face like I had done. Stevie lets out a loud bark then jumps into the water – soaking Johnny from head to toe.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

(Johnny’s POV)

After the show, Jackie escorts Nicole and I back to the Staff area so we can change into our street clothes. The two of us make our way to the Soundings Café for a light lunch. Nicole orders a classic Caesar salad and I order a grilled chicken wrap.

“So….Are you having fun?” I ask before taking a bit of the wrap.
Nicole takes a bite before answering, “Hands down, Best birthday yet.”
The statement brings a smile to my face, “Well, the days not over yet.”

Nicole gives me a quizzical look as we toss our trash. We walk through the gift shop, Nicole decides she wants a stuffed Stevie, which I buy, and we finally make out way back to the car.

“I don’t see why you wanted the sea lion. The penguin was cuter and she didn’t have fish breathe,” I say before pulling into traffic.

“I think he’s adorable – fish breathe and all,” Nicole says; I roll my eyes but a smile creeps across my features again – a habit that appears to be permanent with Nicole around.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

(Nicole’s POV) ((That evening))

Johnny insisted on taking me out to dinner for my birthday. I tried to argue him into staying home since we had such a fun filled day, but he wouldn’t take no for an answer.

I’m not sure where we are going, all Johnny said was to dress nice. I decided to wear my red, long sleeved sweater dress – I mean it is December – with black tights and black knee high boots. I fixed a leather belt around my waist and paired the dress with simple jewelry.

I had just hooked the last clasped when there was a knock at my door. This struck me as odd because the guys normally just walk in, provided I’m home. I open the door so see the largest bouquet of pink tiger lilies that I had ever seen.

“Excuse me Miss, but these were just dropped off at the desk for you,” our front desk attendant, Mikael, was hidden behind the flowers. Behind Mikael were three other workers with equally large bouquets of pink roses, tulips, Jasmine and a mixed arrangement.

“Thank you. Just leave them on the counter,” I direct the men then tip them as they leave.

I walk over to the arrangements and look at the cards. The lilies were from my Penguins, the roses from the Capitals, the tulips were from Max, the Jasmine bouquet was from the Staal’s – the card read ‘from all four brothers but really just your favorite – E’ that made me giggle, and the Mixed arrangement were from my Hawks.

I sent a quick text to all the guys to thank them for the beautiful flowers and put my phone away – Johnny had just walked into the apartment.

“Wow, you look beautiful Nicole,” Johnny gave me a smile and a lingering kiss before offering his arm, “After you, Miss Green.”

I giggle at his chivalry, “Why thank you, Mr. Toews.”

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

(Johnny’s POV)

Nicole looked stunning when I walked into her apartment. It took every ounce of my will power not to lock the door and hide her away from the world; but I knew that Abby would kill me if we were late for Nicole’s surprise party.

The party was at a new and upcoming restaurant called Fleur Magnifique. The outside of the building was festive, Christmas lights were dangling from every window. I gave my keys to the valet and took Nicole’s hand as we entered the building. The hostess greeted us and led us to a darkened private room.

Nicole looked up at me; I tightened my grip on her hand just as the lights go up.

“SURPRISE!”

Nicole gives a small shriek and nearly falls but I manage to keep her upright.

Abby hurries over and engulfs us both in a hug before taking a step back, “Happy birthday Sweetheart!”

Nicole looks around the room then looks back at Abby, “Thank you, Abby. But how did you do this?”
“Oh I had a little help from a couple of little birdies,” Abby’s eyes hold a mischievous twinkle.
Nicole looks up at me, “Birdie, huh?”

“I’m innocent,” I say playfully.
“Since when have you ever been innocent,” Sidney’s distinct voice breaks our little moment.
“Sidney!” Nicole squeals as she drops my hand and wraps her arms around his neck.

She repeats the process with Geno, Paul, Kris, Neal, and Marc-Andre; but the loudest was for Vero.

“V! How?” this was the first time I had ever seen Nicole at a loss for words.
“Tweet, tweet,” Vero gives Nicole a smile, “We could not miss your birthday, ma belle. Besides, Chicago is not so bad.”

“Yeah, and we play you New Years; we had to come assess the competition,” Flower chirped.

Nicole goes and greets the players and wives from our team before taking her seat next to me at the center. The wait staff bring out several courses throughout the evening and Nicole never stops smiling.

Soon, Abby stands and gains the attention of the table, “So this was part one of a two part surprise for our dear Nicole. This was the easy part. The Second, and harder part, was figuring out our gift to give you,” at this Nicole tried to talk but she quieted when I gave her hand a squeeze, “So with the help of Mrs. Vero; we came up with a brilliant plan. Nicole sweetheart, I hope this was a great birthday, and I hope you enjoy this next presentation we have made for you.”

Abby sat down and turned to face the wall; a screen had descended and the lights were lowered. The screen lights up and the Blackhawks logo flashes across followed by the words ‘Happy Birthday Nicole!”

((This part is based off of a meme I found on Pinterest – it talks about another fictional character so I adapted it here. The name beside the quotations are the people who are on the screen talking))

Coach Q’s voice comes across the speakers, “How do I begin to describe Nicole Green?”
Nicole Green is Flawless,” (Beau Bennett.)
“I hear her skates are insured for $10,000,” (Jered Staal.)
“Her favorite movie is the Lion King,” (Crow) – Flower stifles a laugh along with the rest of the group.
“I heard she met Russell Crow once,” (Ovechkin.)
“And he told her she was pretty,” (Mike Green.)
“She hit me in the face once,” (Shaw) “It was awesome.”

The room laughs as the screen changes. Replays of some of Nicole’s biggest hits of the season so far; various sounds come from the guest as they watch the replays. The next montage is of funny moments and chirps captured by the videographers from practices and for the arena screen.

(Nicole) “Kane!” Nic slaps the ice, “I’m open!” the next shot shows her missing the puck completely.
(Nicole) “What was that!”
(Kane) “that was perfect!”
(Nicole) “That was horrible! Your sister could pass better then that!”
At this point Kaner has Nicole in a head lock, demanding she takes the chirp back. They tussle before Nicole breaks free and speeds off; Kane chases after her.
(Nicole) “Duncs! Help!” Nicole hides behind Keith and Brent.
(Kane) “Come out and fight me like a man!”
(Nicole) “I could say the same thing!”

The tape cuts to the green screen with Nicole in front:
((Inspired by the outtakes video where Crawford questions every instruction he’s given))

(Nicole) “what are we doing?”
“Just read the line….”
(Nicole squinting) “I can’t read that…..Is that in French?”
“No…..”
(Nicole) “Seriously…..That can’t be in English.”
((The camera moves and a man makes an exasperated noise))
(Nicole) “See! I told you that wasn’t English! You want me to do what?”
“Flap your arms like a bird….”
“I’m not doing that!”

The final minutes start showing some of Nicole’s friends from other teams:

(Eric Staal) “Hey killer….I want to wish you a happy Birthday from myself and the Family…..I hope you have a great Birthday and kick some Penguin ass on New Year’s Day! Oh, and make sure you tell Marc, Jordan, and Jered that I am your favorite Staal (Cue Smile) Have a great one Sis.”

(Marc Staal) “Greenie! Happy birthday Sis! Hope you have a wonderful day in Chicago and that you received the flowers before you left….if you did, they were mainly from me…you favorite Staal….if they are late, blame Eric….if they never show Jordan and Jered were in charge….Love ya Sis! Have a great Birthday!

(Jordan Staal) “Hey Nic… Happy Birthday….I hope your Captain Serious pulled out all the stops for this special day….Just kidding man….Anyway….I just wanted to wish you a happy Birthday….We all know who your real favorite is (Cocky Smirk) See you soon. Love you Sis.”

(Jered Staal) “Happy Birthday from you obvious favorite….but we can keep that between us so the others don’t get their feelings hurt….Have a great day Sis….Love ya.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I look over at Nicole and she smiles at me, tears prick the corners of her eyes but none have fallen, “Sis?”
“I’m the fifth Staal….didn’t you know?” she retorts with a straight face; I shake my head and turn back to the screen.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

((Mike Green, Ovechkin, Holtby, and Niklas all appear on screen. Mike talks first then Ovechkin.))

“Happy Birthday Princess. Sorry we couldn’t make it, but we had to head to New York to kick some Ranger Ass….Anyway, I hope your day is special and we all look forward to seeing you soon….Kick ass New Year’s.”

“Happy Birthday Nika….We miss you but see you soon.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

(Talbot) “Happy Birthday Belle Fille…. I hope your day is great and that the guys enjoy the visit….this is the first time I’ve ever been jealous of Flower (Flower’s distinct laughter breaks the silence) don’t tell him I said that….his helmet won’t fit….Have a great day Nicole and Many happy ones to come….”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

((The screen cuts to the Penguins Locker room where all the guys who didn’t fly up and several of the wives and kids can be seen. Banners are hanging in the back ground))

(Collective yelling) “Happy Birthday Nicole!”

(Duper) “Happy Birthday ma fille….I hope your day is filled with many wonderful moments, great laughter, and memories you will cherish forever. We all wanted to wish you a happy birthday. We all love you Nicole. joyeux anniversaire merveilleuse belle fille.” (happy birthday wonderful beautiful girl)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The screen goes dark and I hear a sniffle come from my left; the tears have escaped. I offer Nicole a tissue that I had grabbed at the house and she dabs her eyes.

“You okay?” I ask as she wipes the last one away.
“Yeah…these are happy tears,” Nicole gives my hand a reassuring squeeze.

We mingle for a while later, but soon the adults with kids start to leave and some of the younger guys are antsy to go to a new bar that had just opened down the street.

I find Nicole with her Pittsburgh Crew – they are saying goodnight and make plans to stop by her apartment the next day.

I wrap both arms around Nicole’s waist, “About ready to head out?” I whisper.

Nicole turns in my arms, even in heals she’s a head shorter than me, and gives me a devilish smile, “I thought you’d never ask.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Okay guys! this chapter is A LOT longer then my normal chapters and as you read Nicole had an eventful day. I hope you all are still enjoying both stories. this chapter was a fun one to write and took several days to perfect.

As always all comments and suggestions are welcomed!
Let me know what you think!