‹ Prequel: You Never Know
Status: Work in Progress - i will try to update weekly if school allows

Starting Over

3. Liability

3. Liability

(Regular POV)

The team slowly filtered back to Chicago as the summer came to an end. Training camp was starting soon and Nicole was antsy to get going. The camp was the place where new friendships among players were forged and old friendships were made stronger – unity was a big word for most teams sought while at training camps.

The Blackhawk organization had received permission to use facilities at the University of Notre Dame. Nicole carpooled to the UC with Johnny, Shaw, Saad, and Kaner, who had arrived late the night before. The five were the last to arrive for the bus and the waiting team was quick to chirp the small group.

“It’s about time you ladies got here. What happened? Miss place your makeup bag?” Corey was the first to greet them.
“Nice Crow. Way to make our lovely lady feel welcomed,” Sharp pushed past the goalie and pulled Nicole in for a bear hug.

“Aww I was just playing,” Corey said as he stole Nicole from the winger’s grasp; Nicole let out a giggle as the men that already knew her passed her from one set of arms to the next. She was slightly dizzy when she finally landed back against Johnny’s side. Coach Q called for everyone to load up.

Nicole was pushed between Corey and Brandon Bollig as the guys filed down the walk way.

Corey stopped half way to the back of the bus and turned to face Nicole, ”Sit with me,” he says before slightly pushing Nicole into the inner seat.” The rest of the guys shuffle past – Bollig and Shaw sit behind the two, Sharpie and Burish sit in front, and Kaner and Tazer are across the way.

Corey leans over and loudly whispers, “Kaner and Tazer are the old married couple. They sit and room together. Shap Shooter and Bur are the same way.”

Nicole smiles and says, “I noticed that this morning. That’s why we were late; they started arguing and poor Andy was scared to death.”

“That was so not the reason why we were late,” Toews pipes up.
“I was NOT scared,” Andrew cuts in as he leans over the seat.

Sharp and Adam turn in their seats so they can join the conversation.

“No one ever wants to sit with Crow; that’s why he made you sit with him,” Burish chirps.
“Who did you sit with in Pittsburgh? Or are you one of those that moves around a lot?” Patrick Sharp asks.

“I sat with Geno,” Nicole answered – her smile faltering slightly – as the conversation continued around her. The change did not go unnoticed by her new Captain.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

(Regular POV)

The bus pulled up the Hawk’s new residence for the next few days. Coach Q listed off who would be rooming with whom – Nicole was given her own space even though she told the coaching staff that she didn’t mind rooming with someone. Coach tried to explain that it was a potential liability even if she had roomed with one of the Penguin’s while she was with that team.

As with the Penguin’s though, Nicole was placed in the room at the very end of the hall – safely surrounded by all of her new teammates. Nicole was unpacking when the door swung open.

“Look at this! On the team for only a few weeks and already getting her own room,” Andrew walked in follows closely by both Brandon’s.

“Not like I asked for it. I roomed with Duper the whole season and never had a problem!” Nicole let out an exasperated sigh as the three men made themselves at home.

“I don’t see why you can’t room with someone; one of the married guys maybe?” Saad said as Johnny and Kaner walked into the room with Crawford, Sharp, and Burish behind them.

“Coach said that it was a liability if I roomed with anyone – married or not – it’s so stupid!” Nicole sank beside Johnny on the small mattress.

Kaner laughs which gains the small gathering’s attention; Nicole looks at her new teammate like he’s gone insane.

“Uh….Kaner? Wanna share what’s going on up there?” Sharp asks pointing to the blonde man’s head.
“Liability? Collie, you would kick all of our asses if anyone tried anything on her. Not to mention the one’s in this room kicking what was left. Plus you have what? Two, three other teams that you’re friends with in the league. Only a complete moron would try something so stupid.”

Nicole smiles as Johnny ads, “Kaner’s right. You couldn’t be safer if you tried, Nic. You’ve got the eight of us, plus the remaining team that will fight for you.”

“How many people in the league do you know Nicole?” Bollig asks from his perch on the desk.

“Well, you guys obiously, the Penguins, Talbot just went to the Flyers, all four Staal brothers and Henrik so that’s the Rangers and Hurricanes, I met Stamkos through Nealer last season and got to know a couple other Lightning players, and a few Captials – so that makes roughly – 55 or 60 guys. I think,” Nicole shrugged as the room falls silent.

“Yeah….only a moron would mess with you.”

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

(Tazer’s POV)

After the small pow wow in Nicole’s room, all the guys moved back to their own room’s for lights out. Johnny was rooming with Patrick Kane of course. The two player’s went about their own routines before cutting the lights out.

But sleep evaded Toews as he tossed and turned. Patrick was unable to sleep also – just as he would be on the brink, Johnny would move and wake him again.

“Dude! If you don’t stop I’m going to smother you with my pillow!” Patrick exclaimed as Toews rolled over again.

“I can’t help it,” Johnny groaned as he sat up and leaned against the wall.
“Collie on the brain?” Patrick asked sitting up also.

Tazer gave his teammate a sheepish look, “That obvious?”
“Yeah, you got it bad and she doesn’t even know,” Patrick smirked knowing his captain was a few shades darker.

“What should I do?” Jonathan asked.
“Are you really asking me for relationship advice?”

Tazer made a hmm noise.

“I don’t know dude, just tell her or something. What’s the worst that could happen?” Patrick offered.
“I don’t want to scare her off. She still seems torn up about Sidney,” Toews answers.
“What do you mean?” Patrick questioned.

“I don’t know? She doesn’t seem off to you?” Johnny asked the younger forward.
“No? I haven’t been around her for a full day yet so I can’t really tell,” Patrick sighed as he laid back down.

Johnny heard the blonde man’s breathing even out as he tried to quiet his racing mind. He laid motionless for several minutes focusing on slowing his own breathing. The last thing to filter through his mind’s eye was of Nicole.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

(Shaw’s POV)

Saader and I retreated to our rooms when the coaching staff called for lights out. Nicole still wasn’t happy about rooming alone but she was feeling better about being with us it seemed.

“So what do you think?” Saader asked pulling me out of my thoughts.
“What are you talking about?” I asked confused.
“Tazer and Nic? They seemed cozy,” Brandon said.

I felt my blood start to boil just thinking about them.

“I don’t know. Seemed like he was friend zoned pretty well,” I said instead.
“So it doesn’t bother you? Not even a little?” Saad pressed.
“No. Why should it? They’re friends, and teammates. We’re just friends. Nothing weird will happen,” I say as I say on top of the covers.

Brandon laughs as he climbs beneath the blankets on his bed, “Keep telling yourself that.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Two up dates in a row! Sorry if this feels fillerish but I wanted to show some of the friendships Nicole had developed already and of course get Tazer and Shawzie's POV.

What do you guys feel about Toews/Nicole and Andrew/Nicole situation?

As always all comments and suggestions are welcomed!

Let me know what you guys think!