‹ Prequel: You Never Know
Status: Work in Progress - i will try to update weekly if school allows

Starting Over

5. Five Figures

5. Five Figures

(Regular POV)

Nicole and the Hawks were practicing at the UC for the first game of the preseason. They had been on the ice for a solid two hours before Coach Q called everyone together at center ice.

“Good practice team. As you all know we are playing the Capitals tomorrow. They’re a good team, they play hard, they have some top players; but we’re better, I’ve seen it in the last couple of weeks. We have our own top players who are better, and we will play harder. You want it, I want it, so let’s start the season off right with a win. Go home and get some rest. I’ll see everyone tomorrow.”

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

(Nicole’s POV)

I walked out of the arena with the intent of heading home but the Andrew had another idea.

“Hey Nic!” I turned and saw Shaw coming toward me.
“What’s up Andy?” I asked as he ran up to me.

“It’s later, wanna go get some food?” Andrew asked giving me puppy eyes.
I laughed, “Shure, who all is going?”

His ears reddened slightly, “Just us. Sadder wanted to go home, so he’s riding back with Kaner. Johnny was going to talk to Q about tomorrow; you know, Captain Stuff.”

“Get in,” I motion to the opposite side of my SUV.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

(Shaw’s POV)

I asked Nic to go to lunch and was surprised when she agreed to go. We made our way to a local steakhouse I knew and was seated in the back – the restaurant was use to us coming by before and after games.

“Nice place,” Nicole said as we sat in the private booth.
“Yeah, Saader and I come by here all the time. The steaks are amazing,” I said as the waiter placed our drinks down.

“Awe! That’s so sweet. The happy couple going to dinner together,” Nicole chirped; I instantly felt my face heat up; this woman was making me blush – I never blush.

I decided to play it off, “Yeah, you’re a regular riot,” I said breaking off a bread stick. Nicole smiled at me and I felt it all the way south.

“So….What was with the trade?” I asked trying to cover my awkward moment. Her smile dropped.
“I needed a change,” Nicole shrugged as she played with her bread stick.

“Nic,” I reached over and took her hand, she met my gaze, “What happened?” Her eye’s dropped again, “You know what, you don’t have to tell me – you can if you want too, I mean I’d listen if you needed to talk to someone – but do it at your own pace; you know?”

“Thank you, Andrew,” Nicole gave me a half smile and squeezed my hand.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

(Nicole’s POV)

Lunch was delicious and after Andrew’s constant chatter returned to lighter topics after I practically shut down. The question was abrupt and caught me off guard more than anything. I wanted to tell him but he tried to cover his mistake and gave me an out – I took it.

We drove back to our building and took the elevator to our floor. As the doors opened I could see five large figures standing outside my door. Andrew grabbed my arm and pushed me behind him in a protective stance.

The five figures turned and faced us – I strained to see around Andrew’s taller figure when one of the figures spoke.

“Hey Princess, you find a new guard dog over the summer?”

I let out a squeal and pushed past Andy; running and jumping into the waiting arms.

“Mikey! What are you doing here? You guys weren’t supposed to be in until tomorrow!” I said as Mikey swung me around before squeezing me tightly.

“Share the girl, Green,” Ovi grabbed me next and pulled me tightly to his side.
“How you doin’ Alex?” I smiled up at him before giving him a quick hug and moving to Sasha, Holtby, and Nick.

“You look good Nika. Summer do you good?” Alex meant it as a complement but it came as a question.
“Thanks Alex, and yeah it did me some good,” I said giving him a smile.

“Uh, Nic?” I turned and saw Andrew standing awkwardly where I had left him.
“Andrew this is Ovi, Mike, Alex, Nicklas, and Braden – guys this is Andrew,” I motioned back to my teammate.

The guys shook hands before Shaw turned to me, “I’m going to see what Saader’s up too. You good here?”

“Yeah, thanks hun,” he gives me a nod and walks into his apartment.

I turn back to the waiting Capitals, “Well guys come on in.”

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

(Regular POV)

The guys piled into Nicole’s living room as she went to change into more comfortable clothes. She stopped in the kitchen and grabbed six Gatorade’s before taking a seat next to Mike.

He pulled her close before saying, “Nice color’s; to bad it’s not Cap’s red.”
Nicole gave him a small shove, “You boys couldn’t handle me.”

“This is a nice place too. great view,” Holtby said as he looked out the window. The guys paused and looked at Nicole.

“Soooooo………” Alex started.
Nicole sighed, “Are you really going to start now?”
“Either now or dinner, and if there will be water works we figured now would be better,” Mike offered as an explanation.

“What happened Nika? Why the trade? Everyone thought you were happy in Pittsburgh,” Ovi asked the questions as the others waited.

“I don’t know how to explain it or where to start,” Nicole started, the guys waited as she gathered her thoughts, “I went to dinner with Jordan, Marc Staal, and Henrik. We drank and talked for several hours before leaving; Jordan walked me to my room and he kissed me.
I kissed him back. The next morning he came to my room and asked what I wanted – him or Sidney – I didn’t know and…..I didn’t intend to cheat on Sidney; he deserves so much better after all he did for me with Max and the baby…..I told Sid what happened and he left…..
I found Coach after the Carolina game and told him I wanted a trade. I thought it would be best for Sidney and the team if I left. It was also a chance for me to start over,” Nicole could feel the silent tears slide down her as she wiped them away.

“So why did you shut everyone out over the summer?” Braden asked.

“I’m sorry about that – I am – but I needed time away from everyone to figure out what I wanted…..I still don’t know what I want outside of the rink,” Nicole gave a tentative laugh.

“Have you talked to any of your old teammates?” Nicklas asked from his seat.

“Yeah, Flower called me the other day and I’ve talked to several of the guys since then. They want me to come to Pittsburgh after preseason is over.”

There was a pause before Ovi asked, “Are you?”

“I don’t know Ovi.”

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

(Andrew’s POV)

I tried to sit and watch T.V. with Saad but I couldn’t sit still knowing five Capital’s were across the hall. I got up and paced the living room – I could feel Saad’s eyes on me.

“Dude, if you don’t chill out I’m going to smother you,” Brandon threw a pillow at me.
“I can’t help it. Those thugs are in there with Nicole,” I said throwing the pillow back, “Who let them in anyway?”

“Tazer did on his way in.”
“What?” that stopped me in my tracks.

I turned and stormed out the door; stopping in front of Johnny’s door and banged on the door.

“What!?” Jonathan flung the door open; he looked pissed.
I walked past him, “what the hell man?”
Johnny’s hard look didn’t falter, “What do you want Shawzie?”

“Why did you let those guys onto our floor?” I asked; no since in beating around the bush.
“Because they’re friends of Nicole,” Tazer deadpanned as if that was the obvious answer.

“Oh,” I was surprised; I mean, yeah I remember them being at her birthday party in December but I thought the Penguin’s Russian had invited them.

Johnny’s mouth turned up slightly, “You jealous Shaw?”
“No more than you,” I shoot back; Johnny’s face hardens again.

“Her friends came to see her. You have no idea what that woman has been through and she deserves the absolute best. So take you childish crush and go play some video games with Saader,” Johhny had moved back to the door and was holding it open.

I walked out but turned before he shut the door, “I’m willing to fight for her.”

Jonathan simply smiles and shuts the door.
♠ ♠ ♠
has anyone else had trouble with the site? is it just me?

OMJohnny!!!!! the gauntlet has been thrown between the two Hawks!!!!!!
CaptainVSTheMutt
what will happen?

Anyway......I hope you enjoy the chapter and my surprise I placed in it. I'm sorry about the tease if anyone thought it was the Penguins - I'm still on the fence about her going to Pittsburgh or the Pen's flying to Chicago.
Let me know what you guys think should happen - I have a split vote so you guys gotta help me out!

As away all comments and suggestions are welcomed! Let me know what you think!