‹ Prequel: You Never Know
Status: Work in Progress - i will try to update weekly if school allows

Starting Over

6. Tough to Watch

6. Tough to Watch

(Regular POV)

Nicole sat in her stall waiting for the third period of the game to start. The Blackhawks had lead the first period 1-0 thanks to a beautiful goal from Sharpy. The Capitals had battled back in the second and Ovi managed to tie the game 1-1 from a turnover at the blue line.

Saader nudged Nicole, breaking her focus, “We’ll get that goal back; don’t worry about it.” Nicole had been the one to turn the puck over.

She gave him a playful shove, “Damn right we will.”

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

(Sidney’s POV)

I was at Tanger’s house with some of the guys watching the Blackhawks-Capitals game. Kris, Flower, Geno, and Jordan were lounging around the basement of the large home as the second intermission was coming to an end. Jordan and I had come to a tentative understanding after last season – we were both proud but he had decided to apologize at Max’s going away party during the summer.

The Blackhawks were back on the ice for the start of the third when Geno said, “Nika look good. Fits well with team.”

“She looked better in Penguin’s gear,” Flower argued taking a sip of his drink.
“I still can’t believe she left on her own,” Tanger said.

This caught Jordan’s attention, “What do you mean? Why would she do that?” He didn’t know about the conversation the guys had with Nicole a few weeks ago.

The guys didn’t answer so I did, “These three spoke to her a few weeks ago. She said she left so she wouldn’t cause more problems with us – the team.”

Jordan looked dumfounded, “So she left on her own? That’s such Bull!” Jordan jumped from his seat and paced the room.

“It was her decision, mon ami,” Kris said from his spot on the sofa.
“Why didn’t you guys say you had talked to her? She hasn’t answered anyone all summer,” Jordan turned and gave the guys a hard look.

“Nic need time. We give time. May come to Pittsburgh in couple weeks,” Geno spoke but continued to watch the screen.

“Jordan sit down,” I say; he stops pacing and looks at me before sitting down, the guys look at me too, “Look, Nicole is….well….hard to let go. Trust me, I know this. Max knows this, and I have a feeling you’re figuring this out. But you have to let her go. If you don’t then you’ll end leaving just like Max.”

All eyes are on me as I make my admission.

“What are you talking about? Max didn’t leave because of Nicole,” Jordan said.

“Yes he did. He left so Nicole could be happy,” I said meeting the larger man’s steady gaze.
“How do you know that Sid?” Flower sounded hurt, he had been the closest to Max on the team.

“Coach told me,” a small laugh escaped my throat, “What he didn’t tell me was that Nicole asked to leave too. Guess she didn’t want anyone to know until after.”

We watched as Jordan stood and left the room.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

(Regular POV – Blackhawks game)

The game was tied 2-2 as the clock counted down to zero. Tazer had broken the first tie with a top shelf goal on Holtby but Mike had answered by slipping the puck past Crawford. OT had flown by and now the teams were headed to a shootout.

Ovi was up first and scored top shelf.
Johnny went first for the Hawks and scored on Holtby.

Nicklas and Kaner both missed on their go.
Mike went last for the Capitals and tried five hole but Crow shut him out.

Nicole skated to center ice, she stared down the ice at Holtby before skating hard to the left. Nicole swung right and slowed down – Holtby backed deeper into the net when she slowed.

Nicole moved the puck forehand to backhand in three quick successions before slipping the puck between Holtby’s pads.

The Blackhawks jumped over the boards and rushed down the ice; knocking Nicole into the glass.

“Thatta baby Collie!” Kaner yelled over the roar of the crowd.

Nicole detangled herself from her team and skated down the ice; bumping her helmet against Crawford’s.

“Great game, Crow,” she said as he tapped her shins with his stick.
“Right back atcha baby doll,” Corey gave her a cheeky smile as she laughed and skated toward the bench.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

(Nicole’s POV)

I was sitting in my stall after the interviews were over when I felt a larger body slide next to mine. I looked up from my phone to meet Sharpie playful eyes.

“Some of us are going out to celebrate, you in?” he asked me as the remaining team filtered around us.
“Sure, where we going?” I questioned.
“Duke’s.”
“I’ll meet you there.”

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

(Johnny’s POV)

The club was packed as I scanned the crowd for the fourth time in thirty minutes. Kaner and Saad had already brought a group of girls to the VIP area but I wasn’t interested in puck bunnies tonight.

“Dude, she said she would come so chill,” Sharpie said as Abby swayed next to him.
“Awe! Captain has a crush on the new girl!” Abby joked making Patrick crackup and myself blush – thankfully it was dark in the club.

I ignored the continued chirping from the couple as my gaze shifted around the room again when I finally saw her.

My breath caught as Nicole made her way up the small staircase. She had a red dress on that fit her like a glove. Her dark hair was in loose curls, her makeup making her chocolate eyes pop.

“Put your tongue back in your mouth Captain,” Sharpie chirped as Nicole make her way toward us.

She leaned in and gave the couple a hug, “Hey! Sorry I took so long. I had to go change,” Nicole gushed as she slid in next to me – her leg brushed mine as she gave me a megawatt smile that made my heart race.

I put my arm across the back of the booth and leaned close, “You look beautiful Nicole.”
I could feel several sets of eyes on us as Nicole’s face flushed but her smile never faltered, “Thank you, Johnny.”

Abby cut in, “Let’s dance people!” She dragged Pat from his seat and Nicole turned to me.
“Wanna dance Captain?”

I down the rest of my whiskey, “Lead the way.”

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

(Andrew’s POV)

Damn she was gorgeous. Nicole showed up at the club and was easily the hottest woman there. I was sitting with Saader and Kane as they chatted up a group of bunnies. My attention had drifted after the first hello when some red head sat herself on my lap.

I watched as Nic made her way up the stairs and greeted several of the guys. She looked over at the three of us and sent us a smile and wave – my face heated up before the blood rushed south. The red head was stupid enough to think the reaction was for her as she had started dancing on me.

Nicole walked over to where Sharpie, Abby and Tazer were sitting and greeted the couple before sliding in next to Johnny. My blood boiled as he leaned in close and said something to make her smile. Shortly after the four made their way to the dance floor.

I downed my drink and gently pushed the red head away from me to walk over to the balcony. I could see Johnny and Nicole on the floor and watched as he pulled her closer to his body and whispered into her ear again – this time she laughed.

I felt a body slide next to mine, “Tough to watch?” it was Corey.
“I don’t know what you’re talking about,” I said grabbing another drink and downing it as the waitress passed us.

Corey laughed and slapped me on the back, “Sure man.”
♠ ♠ ♠
okay to recap:

1. Jordan still has feelings for Nicole
2. The Blackhawks defeated the Capitals in a shoot out thanks to Nicole
3. Tazer and Shawzie having feelings for Nicole is undeniable.

Penguins:
I wanted to show the Penguins again and show that they support Nicole even though she is no longer on the team.
I also wanted to show how different Sidney and Jordan are handling Nicole being on another team; or how they seem to be handling her being gone (Insert evil laugh here)

Blackhawks:
I thought it would be important to show how different Johnny and Andrew view Nicole.
Tazer is known as the more mature of the two (Obviously) and I wanted to try and show that difference with the wording they used upon seeing Nicole enter the Club.

I will be working on the Chicago/Pittsburgh chapter in the next few days(2/24/15) and I will be deciding if Nicole will be flying to Pittsburgh or if the guys will be heading to Chicago.

As always all comments and suggestions are welcomed!
Let me know what you guys think!