‹ Prequel: You Never Know
Status: Work in Progress - i will try to update weekly if school allows

Starting Over

9. I'll See You Soon

9. I’ll See You Soon

(Regular POV)

Nicole’s remaining time in Pittsburgh flies by. Saturday the team had a barbecue at the Dupuis – Sidney was there but Jordan failed to show. Sunday was a low key day; mostly sitting around the house, enjoying the beautiful weather as the kids played which eventually led to Duper and Nicole pulling out the hockey net.

Monday morning found Nicole in the passenger seat of Duper’s SUV heading to the airport. The ride was quiet – a stark contrast to her arrival.

Duper parked the car and grabbed Nicole’s bags out of the back. He was determined to walk Nic to her gate – effectively putting off goodbye for a little longer.

But the moment came and as he handed over her carry-on said, “We will miss you, mon fille. You must stay in contact with us. Promise me this.”
Tears brimmed Nicole’s eyes, “I promise. I’ll miss you all too. You guys kick some ass this year.”

Duper pulled her into a tight hug, not wanting to let her go. He pulled back though, giving her a smile then looking over her shoulder, “Someone else wants to tell you goodbye too.”

Nicole turned and saw, Paulie, Geno, James, Kris, Flower, Sidney, and –surprisingly- Jordan. A smile came to Nicole’s features as the guys all embraced her individually.

“We’ll miss you Nic,” Paul was the first to reach her.
“Give’em hell in the Windy City,” James’ playful banter brought a laugh to the group.

Flower was next, “V couldn’t stand to say goodbye so she sent this,” he handed Nicole a wrapped gift. Inside was a framed photo of all the guys and Nicole from the previous season. It was a candid shot – everyone was laughing and the smiles were genuine – a tear escaped as Nicole looked at the happy memory.

“Non, none of that, ma belle,” Kris said as he pulled Nicole into a tight embrace, “We will see you soon, I promise. Remember, we are only a phone call away.” Nicole nodded – afraid that her voice would fail her.

Geno handed Nicole a small Penguin, “No forget me,” the penguin had a 71 jersey; just like the one he had given her while she was in the hospital.

“Never, G,” Nicole squeezed the big man around the waist – he was nearly in tears also.

Sidney gently pulled Nicole to him, “We’ll see you soon, friend. Remember what I said.” Nicole knew he meant about Johnny but was willing to keep that conversation between the two of them.

Nicole turned to Jordan who had stayed farther back from the group, “Jordy?” Nicole’s voice cracked which caused the blonde man to look up.

He had tears in his eyes, his mouth pulled tight as if to keep from breaking down. He took three large steps and wrapped his arms lightly around Nicole; nearly knocking the breath out of her.

“I’ll miss you Nic. But I’m willing to accept my role. I need you in my life,” the words were whispered so the other men couldn’t hear; but they understood as Nicole wrapped her arms around his neck.

“I’ll miss you too Jordy. I’m sorry things can’t be different but I’m happy to have you back. I’ve miss you,” Nicole’s words were equally quiet and Jordan squeezed her tightly once more before letting her go.

Nicole looked at the group of eight, “this isn’t goodbye guys, I’ll miss you – all of you,” the call for her flight sounded, Nicole gave them all a quick hug and a smile, “I’ll see you soon.”

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

(Johnny’s POV)

I had received a text from both Sidney and Nicole saying that she was on the plane. I had kept contact with her to a minimum while she was away and had made the guys do the same. She deserved time with her old team and friends and I knew she had a few things to fix while she was there.

The message from Sid confirmed that she had made up with at least one person – even though it did send a wave of nausea through me.

Now I was on my way to the airport to once again pick up my teammate. Shaw was not with me and for that I was thankful. The kid had been a pain in the ass the whole time Nicole was away and I was sick of it.

I pulled into parking and made my way inside when my phone chimed.

NICOLE>> Just landed will be out soon
TAZER>> Let you Pens know too. I’m sure they’re worried.
NICOLE>> Roger, Captain. Already done

I laughed at the message and made my way to the gate to wait. I was checking my phone again when a small mass hit my side – nearly knocking me over.

“Miss me?” the voice said laughing as I looked down into a pair of dark Chocolate eyes.
A smile appeared on my face as I wrapped the woman in a bear hug, “Good to see you, Nicole. Yeah I’ve missed you.”

“Can’t……Breathe…..”

I instantly loosened my grip but kept her close, “Let’s get you home.”

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

(Shawzie’s POV)

Nicole was standing in my room, in my jersey, and nothing else. Her hair was curled softly and looked darker in the dim light of my room. She walked toward me, “I’ve missed you, Andy. All I could think about while I was away was you.”

I gulped, “Me?”

She smile, “Yes, I couldn’t get you out of my mind, while I was with friends, at dinner, in the shower…..” her words trail off as her smile turns sensual – my body is on red alert – has been since I first saw her.

Nicole stops in front of me and pulls me down. Her lips are centimeters away from mine, “Did you miss me,” I nod, “Did you think about me?” she asks. I nod again, unable to form words.

“Kiss me,” she whispers. I lower my head……….

I woke up with a start not entirely sure where I was for a moment. A body had jumped on my bed and I rolled over, “Damn it Saader! Leave me alone.”

I heard laughter and a giggle – a female giggle.

“You’re right, Saader. He is not a morning person,” the female voice said.

I jerked back around only to come face to face with a pair of brown eyes. If I hadn’t known better, I would have thought I was still dreaming. Nicole was in my bed; with me. I reached out and gently touched her arm.

She giggled again, “I’m real, Andy.”

I pull her into me for a hug but lose my balance and she ends up beneath me. She’s fully laughing now which sends shock waves through me. I’m already hard from the dream, and it being morning, but my body reacts anyway. I blush as I move off of her – trying to cover my erection before she sees or feels it.

Nicole sits up and faces me, “Did you miss me?” The dream comes to mind my I push those thoughts away.

“Yeah, how did you get here?” I ask, trying to form a coherent sentence.

“Johnny picked me up,” Anger flashes through me, I had told him I wanted to ride to the airport with him – bastard.

“Where is he now?” I ask instead.

“Ice house. Told him I would ride with you guys after a nap,” she smiles again and moves off my bed, “Sorry about the wakeup call. Sadder said you were still asleep and I couldn’t resist.”

I return the smile, “It’s okay. I like waking up to you,” I say before realizing it, “instead of his ugly mug,” I try and cover but I can feel my face heat up again.

Nicole laughs, “Poor Sadder. You’re going to hurt his feelings if he hears that.”

With a wave, Nicole breezes out of my room; leavening me to deal with my morning…….problem.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

(Nicole’s POV)

After a nap, some food, and a quick ride to the Ice House; I found myself surrounded by my team.
Sharpie saw me first and raced over to give me a hug, “You’re back! We thought the Penguins were going to hold you for ransom!”

I laugh at his antics, “They may have thought of doing just that,” I chirp.
Seabs picks me up and spins me around, “We would have saved you if they had tried.”

“My hero’s,” I say in my best maiden voice, faking a faint – Corey “catches” me.

“Did you have a good time? We would have messaged or called more, but Johnny went all Captain Serious and told us to leave you alone. I thought it was a bad idea – they could have brain washed you into going back.”

I look over at Tazer and see his ears and neck were red, confirming what Corey had said, “I had a great time; and I appreciate the sentiment but you guys could have called or text. I wouldn’t have minded,” I say, Johnny gives me a sheepish grin and I give him a small shove which causes the room to fill with laughter.

Coach Q comes shortly after that, “Hit the ice, Guys!” He looks at me, “Glad to see you back, Nic. Now the boys can stop moping.”

The team laughs except for Johnny and Andy; both were a darker shade of red. I laugh too, “Thanks Coach. Happy to be back.”

Pittsburgh would always be my first home and Pens would be my family; but I really had missed these guys and was looking forward to the coming season.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sad to see Nicole leave Pittsburgh but it is not goodbye to the guys. they were her first hockey family and will remain part of her story; but now the focus will be mainly on the Blackhawks.

I'm sorry if this chapter seems filler-ish. i was trying to Get Nicole back in to Chicago and get Johnny's and Andy's reaction.

I also wanted to show the relationship Nicole has built with her team some more - Plenty will be present later of course but i thought i would give you all a taste now.

Are you guys Happy that Nic, Sid, and Jordan made up?
Was it how you thought they would do it?
what do you think of Shaw's dream?

As always all comments and suggestions are welcomed!
I love hearing from you guys and the feedback has been great!
Let me know what you think!