‹ Prequel: You Never Know
Status: Word in Progress - Will try to update once to twice a week

Flying High

16. Those Three Words

16. Those Three Words

(Max’s POV)

Shock paralyzes me as I watch Breeze hurry away. I can’t believe what I just called her. Anger wells up and I punch the wall – hard.

“Woah! Max, what are you doing?” Claude calls out as I draw back to hit the wall again; physical pain is what I need after the emotional damage I just caused.

He catches my arm before I can strike again, “Calm down before you break something,” the words come out as a demand and for a moment I think about turning on my team mate, but a gentler hand grabs mine.

“Max, what happened?” Green eyes meet my blue ones; the question stops me cold.

“What happened?” I say, venom leaks into the words; I see Claude tense up, not liking the way I was talking to his girl, but Cass simply waits, “I fucked up royally; that’s what happened!” I try to snatch my hand back – needing to hit something again – but Cass holds on.

She pulls me into a deserted room, Claude hot on her heals, and makes me sit, “Talk to me,” her tone is gentle but firm.

I sigh, “I saw Breeze talking to Staal; I got jealous and took my anger out on her. We started arguing and I…..I called her Nic.”

I can hear a collective gasp.

“That is not good,” Claude says.
“How?...”
“It was an accident; I don’t even know why I called her that,” I half-heartedly defend myself.

Cass wraps her arms around me; I try to soak in the warmth but it’s not what I deserve.

“You can fix this,” Cassidy states.
“How?”
Cassidy gives me a small smile, “Talk to her.”

But would she want to listen?

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

(Breeze’s POV)

The bus ride to the hotel was tense. I took a seat next to Ole-Kristian Tollefsen – he was quiet and I wasn’t in the mood to talk.

Once at the hotel, I quickly exited the bus and went up to my room; only then did I allow tears that I had been holding back to flood my eyes.

A knock at my door forced me to dry my face – I didn’t want any of the others asking what was wrong. I checked the peep-hole and sighed.

I opened the door slightly, “Go away Max.”
“Breeze, please let me in. Let me explain….”
“No,” I cut him off, “you don’t get to explain; and I don’t want to hear you excuses.”
“But there not….” I slammed the door without letting him finish.

I felt trapped. I wanted to leave, but I didn’t want to see Max, and I didn’t know if he was still outside. Instead, I sank onto the bed and cried myself to sleep.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

(Max’s POV)

9:00 p.m.

The guys and their girls had left for the New Year’s Eve party; I in the hotel bar nursing my second brandy of the night.
By now the whole team knew of my idiocy – most were understandably angry with me; hell, I was still angry with myself.

The bar tender made his way back toward be as I downed the remainder on my glass.

I look at the older man, “Another.”
“Rough night?” he asked as he poured a new glass.
I took a sip, “You could say that.”

“Game or woman?” he asked, wiping the inside of a glass clean.
I chuckle, “Woman.”

“Ah,” he said, studying the glass, “Always is. She pretty?”
“Beautiful,” I state.
“Tell me about her,” he picks up another glass to clean.

“She’s intelligent, witty, has a great sense of humor, petite but curvy in all the right places, long silky hair, and the most stunning blue eyes that can pierce you to your soul.”

“Sounds like a great girl.”

“She’s perfect,” I say before taking another sip.
“So why aren’t you with her?” the bar man stops and gives me a knowing look.
“I messed up,” I say.

The bar man chuckles, “Son, we all mess up. Always have, always will; but if you love this perfect girl, I suggest you go find her, beg for her back, and kiss her silly at midnight. So, I’ll ask you this – do you love her?”

I meet his gaze, “More than anything.”
“Then put the glass down and go find her boy.”

“Yeah, you’re right. That’s what I’ll do. I’ll go get her back,” I say slamming the brandy down; I pause before rushing out, “What is your name sir?”

The bar man gives me a kind smile, “Name’s Marty,” and offers his hand.
I grasp it in return, “Max; it is nice to meet you; and thank you.”

10:00 p.m.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

(Breeze’s POV)

9:00 p.m.

Cassidy, along with several other wives and girlfriends, had arrived at my room exactly at 8 to help me get ready. I wasn’t in the mood to party but Cass claimed that it was a waste of a perfect dress if I didn’t go out.

So here I am an hour later standing in a packed room, nursing my tonic.

“Breeze if you don’t get up and dance with me, I swear I won’t help you shop for the All Star Trip,” Cassidy had been threatening me since we got here.

“Mon belle, leave her,” Claude states, pulling the feisty redhead closer to him.
“But it’s New Year’s Eve! We’re supposed to be having fun,” Cassidy argues.

“Can’t you see that she doesn’t want to be here,” Claude argues back.
“Guys! Still sitting here,” I cut in before they can get rolling.

They both have the decency to look chagrinned, “Sorry Breeze,” Cassidy apologizes.
“I’m getting a drink,” I say before hopping up and rushing off.

I needed some air so I ducked out to the VIP deck instead of grabbing a drink. I sat outside for a while, the cool air nipping at my exposed skin. Turning to go back inside, I run into a solid mass.

“Woah! Easy there,” Strong hands steady me, as I look up into a pair of playful hazel eyes.
“Marc! What are you doing here?” I ask, taking a step back.

The ginger man gives me a lopsided grin, “Heard there was an awesome party tonight.”
“And you decided to crash?” I ask.

“Yeah, well, I knew this beautiful woman would be here,” Marc’s smirks.
I feel myself blush, “Marc, I’m flattered, really; but I have a boyfriend.”
Marc’s smile falters slightly, “Max?”

I nod.

“Where is he then?” Marc asks; not knowing the stabbing pain his words cause me.
I look away, trying to stop the tears, “We had a fight,” my voice quivers.

“Hey,” Marc’s voice becomes gentle, “If Max knows what’s good for him; he’ll be on his way to apologize right now. It’ll be okay,” Marc swipes the pad of his thumb across my cheek, wiping a stray tear away.

“Thanks,” I say, giving him a half-hearted smile.
“No problem. Now, until he gets here; let’s get a drink, maybe dance, and ring in the new year, yeah?” Marc offers his hand.

I take his and allow the large red head to lead me back inside.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

(Max’s POV)

11:00 p.m.

I hail a cab outside and give the address to the bar everyone was supposed to be at. The driver rushes as fast as he can but traffic was horrible and takes us nearly an hour to get there. The bouncer at the door recognizes me and lets me through easily.

The place is packed; worry starts to creep in – I don’t know if I will be able to find my girl at all in this mess. I cut along the wall, deciding that searching the perimeter first was my best option. Half way across the room, a mess of red hair stops me.

“Where the hell have you been!” fiery green eyes stare at me in the dim light.
“Being a dumb ass,” I shout, “Where is Breeze?”

Cassidy’s face hardens, “Dancing.”

I snap my head around, searching the floor; the familiar figure sways perfectly to the beat, a second figure dancing around her. Venom rises, but I push it away – that’s how I got into this mess.

“What are you going to do?” Cassidy asks; it sounds like a challenge.
My blue irises meet her green ones, “I’m getting my girl.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I barge through the crowd, ignoring the nasty looks. Marc sees me before Breeze, he leans down and whispers something in her ear. She turns, the smile that was on her face drops.

Standing in front of the pair I lean down, “Can we talk please?”
Breeze gives a slight nod and grabs my hand – damn it felt good – and lead me to the balcony.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The wind whips around us. I see Breeze shiver; I shrug off my coat and drape it around her. We stand in awkward silence for a few moments.

“You wanted to talk?” Breeze says; her voice quiet.

“I was stupid,” I say, “I was stupid, jealous, insecure, and,” I took both of her hands in mine, “I treated you like shit when you’ve been amazing to me. I’m sorry Breeze. You deserve better.”

“You’re right,” Breeze states, “You were stupid, and jealous, and insecure, and I deserve better than that,” I felt tears start to sting my eyes, “but I want you,” my gaze snaps to hers, “I love you, Max; God help me.”

I feel a small smile tug at the corners of my mouth; my lips captures hers.”
“I love you too, Summer Breeze,” I whisper when we break apart, “So does this mean you forgive me?”

“Oh you still have some making up to do,” breeze says, giving me a cheeky smile.
♠ ♠ ♠
Let me know what you guys think