Status: My life is finally slowing down, I hope to have a chapter up within the next month or so. Thanks for the paitence!

Hope

Chapter Four

Kristel sat near a shop, Amber on the sidewalk near her, as she crawled around. The sun was starting to set, "Come on Amber." Kristel picked Amber up, slipping into the alley they were next to. Kristel had found an entrance to a bathroom in the back of one of the shops. She was able to fill Ambers' bottle without a lot of questions asked.

After she made the bottle, Kristel walked back towards the street and sat down. Watching the people walk by as they went home to start a new work week. Amber went back down on the sidewalk, wanting to crawl some more. "Just let me know when you're ready to eat," Kristel whispered, hugging her knees to herself. She smiled as she watched her daughter start to stand then stop, scared that she'd fall.

"Come on Amber, let's go play on the beach for a bit," Kristel picked up Amber. She walked over the boardwalk to a small secluded section of the beach she had found a couple days prior. She sat Amber down in the sand, letting her pick it up and watch it fall through her fingers. Amber let out a shrill shriek of excitement, kicking her legs. "There's no need to be so loud," Kristel laughed.

Amber picked up more sand and shrieked even more, kicking her feet, until she fell onto her back. A look of surprise on her face. "Silly girl," Kristel sat Amber back up. "Come on, let's look at the water," Kristel picked Amber up so she could "walk". As they got closer the waves gently lapped at Ambers feet making her pick them up, not letting the water touch her.
"Oh, it's just water, silly," Kristel picked Amber up. "See, watch, mommy will walk into the water." Kristel walked into the waves until she was knee deep. "See, that's not so bad."

Kristel watched the sunset with Amber, the waves slowly getting higher on her body. Amber gave a startled cry when water touched her toe, making Kristel look down to see how high the water had gotten. "Shit," Kristel swore, turning to get back to the beach. She struggled a little, but ended up making it back to shore. "Okay, no more ocean for today," Kristel tried to catch her breath, sitting down.

While Kristel and Amber were enjoying the ocean, Zack and his friends started their search for her. "What's she look like?" Matt asked, as they began to walk down the boardwalk.

"She was wearing a ponytail, her hairs kinda long," Zack started, trying to remember from the night before. He then realized that it had been dark when he met her and he didn't pay close attention when he got to his house.

"A lot of girls have long ponytails," Brian interjected.

"I'll know her when I see her," Zack snapped. Starting to walk ahead of the group, when he saw the spot that he had met her, he hurried over to see if he could find her. He glanced around the area, only to find out that none of her things were there.

"You looking for the girl that was here?" the shop owner asked, while they swept their store front.

"Yes, have you seen her?" Zack asked, hoping the shop owner would know where Kristel was.

"Nice girl, I'd share my lunch with her every once and a while," the shop owner leaned on their broom, thoughtfully. "Haven't seen her or her daughter since last night. Poor thing, hope she wasn't picked up."

"What do you mean?" Matt asked, upon seeing Zack's look of distress.

"The police have been combing the beach, looking for 'campers'. A new ordinance was put in place stating you can't camp in public areas. The homeless would be one of the violators," the shop owner explained, returning back to their work. "Hope you find her."

"Do you know where she liked to hang out?" Zack asked, desperate.

The shop owner looked thoughtful for a second, before answering. "When the beach is less crowded, she'll take her daughter down to play on the sand. But she doesn't like to be by the bonfires. She did tell me something about finding a secluded spot, and something about a pier."

"Come on," Brian shoved Zack. "There's only one pier in Huntington, let's go."

The group of guys ran down to the pier on the beach. "Kristel?" Zack yelled, searching the beach for a figure that he recognized.

"Guys, the shop owner said she wouldn't be near the bonfires," Johnny reminded them, as people started to look at them weird.

"But where would she be?" Zack asked, worry starting to creep into his voice.

"Zacky, calm down," Matt put a hand on Zack's shoulder. "We're gonna find them. Let's split up, Johnny and Brian come with me. Zack you take Jimmy and head over there." Matt pointed behind Zack.

"Okay," Zack took a deep breath, then turned to Jimmy. "Come on."

The group split up, calling out for Kristel in hopes of finding them. Zack and Jimmy searched their end of the beach, until they could barely see the pier anymore. "Do you really think she'd be out this far?" Jimmy asked, looking around at the deserted beach.

"I don't know," Zack frowned, looking out into the ocean, to see someone walking to shore, then collapsing onto the sand. "Kristel?" Zack called out again, but the person didn't respond.
"Come on," Zack egged Jimmy on, as he started to run in the direction of the person.
"Kristel!" Zack yelled once more, not too far from the figure now, this time getting a response.

"Z-Zack?" Kristel asked, not believing her eyes.

"Oh, thank God I found you," Zack sighed, relieved, bringing Kristel into a hug.

Kristel stiffened when Zack hugged her, she wasn't very good with people touching her.

"What are you doing here?" Kristel finally asked, when Zack let go of her.

"I was worried about you," Zack replied, hurt that she had asked the question. Amber started to cry, wanting her bottle that she hadn't gotten yet.

Kristel cradled Amber in one arm, as her free hand searched for the pre-made bottle. Kristel started to look around wildly, after a couple seconds of not finding anything. "What's the matter?" Zack asked.

"Amber's bottle, i-it was here a moment ago," Kristel moved her hand over the sand quicker.

"Jimmy can you help me find the bottle?" Zack asked, looking towards where Jimmy had been standing, only to see he was already looking for it. Zack ran over to help him. Kristel rocked Amber, trying to keep her calm, while Jimmy and Zack combed the beach only to come up empty handed. "How long have you been here?" Zack asked, trying to figure out if it had gone out with the tide.

"I-I don't know," Kristel cried. "W-we walked out into the water. I only went out until the water touched my knees, a-and then next thing I knew the w-water was at my waist."

"Jimmy check the water," Zack instructed, as he helped Kristel stand. "It's okay, we'll find it."

Kristel nodded her head as she attempted to control her breathing. Zack made sure she was going to be okay, before he went into the water to help Jimmy look. "Found it!" Jimmy exclaimed holding a bottle, after several minutes of feverish looking. Kristel sighed in relief, before another realization came to her.

"My things!" she screamed, her heart pounding. Jimmy looked around in the area he found the bottle, pulling up a diaper bag, but nothing else. Zack looked around in the area that Jimmy was standing. After a couple more minutes of looking Zack and Jimmy came back to Kristel, with just the bottle and diaper bag.

"Sorry," Zack apologized.

"It's okay," Kristel answered, taking the cap off of the bottle, thankful ocean water hadn't leaked under it.

"Come walk with us," Zack invited her. Kristel agreed, glad to have Zacks' company.

Kristel started to feed Amber, walking with Zack and Jimmy down the beach towards the pier. Kristel stopped suddenly when they got closer to the bonfires.

"What's the matter?" Zack asked.

"I-I just don't feel real comfortable going by the bonfires," Kristel admitted.

"Why?"

Kristel didn't know what to say. Can't he see what a train wreck I am? she thought to herself.
"Well, look at me," Kristel started, nodding to her dirty clothes. "I'm not clean, my hairs not washed, I probably look like a horrible wreck-"

"You're not hideous," Jimmy smiled, cutting Kristel off. "Just a little dirty, what's it matter what they think anyways?"

Kristel gave a small smile, "It's not like they give two shits about me any other time."

"Exactly," Jimmy replied, excited, starting to run towards the pier.

Zack walked with Kristel, wanting to talk to her, but not sure how. "Why'd you come find me?" Kristel asked, finally, as they were about halfway past the bonfires.

"I was worried about you two," Zack admitted, focusing on his feet. "When I didn't see you two in the morning I didn't know what to think."

"Didn't you get the note?" Kristel asked, taking the bottle from Amber, and beginning to burp her.

"Yes, but I was still worried," Zack finally looked at her.

"Sorry," Kristel looked down, ashamed. "I-I just felt bad. You had helped me so much last night, and I had no way to repay you for anything that you had done."

"You don't need to pay me back," Zack turned towards her as they reached the pier. "I was more than happy to help, with nothing in return."

"Did you find her?" Matt called, walking back up to the pier, making Kristel trail behind Zack.

"Yeah," Zack called back, gently bringing Kristel to his side. "Kristel, these are my friends. Matt, Brian, Johnny, and you've already met Jimmy."

"Hi," Kristel squeaked, giving a small wave; she had always been shy, and it had not improved as she got older.

"You look tired," Matt looked towards her. "We should get you to Zack's house."

Kristel looked towards Zack, trying to confirm what Matt was saying. "Please," Zack begged.
"I won't sleep, if I know you two don't have a roof over your head."

Kristel sighed, giving in, "Okay."
♠ ♠ ♠
Just wanted to mention that it's very unusual that I am able to get two chapters up within 24 hours, especially two times in a row. But the good news is, I have a couple close friends that ended up really liking this story, so they're most likely going to make sure I write this fairly regularly.

I also wanted to mention that, I do not live anywhere near Huntington Beach, CA nor have I ever been there. So, me, wanting to get as many facts right, have been trying to research everything. I'm going to try and get the websites I'm getting information from in the Author's Notes in case anyone wants to double check facts.

Here are the websites I've used so far:
http://www.ocregister.com/news/ordinance-376854-city-beach.html
http://www.surfcityusa.com/things-to-do/ <- One of my "go to" websites
http://a7xes.com/page6.php <- Another "go to" website
http://www.huntingtonbeachevents.com/firepit.html
http://www.lawrencevilleweather.com/tides/huntington+beach+ca

I also use Google Maps to get some of the landmarks too. If anyone sees any information that's not true, or I just royally botched, feel free to let me know and I will do my best to fix it right away. Thanks!

Comment, Subscribe, Enjoy!