The Tick Tock of the Clock

A letter

The door of the Police station swung open letting a tall man with short, cropped blonde hair and large shining silver aviators. He was in a suit, which I found odd, I’d never seen him in a suit before; it works for him.

Turning he glanced around the station many of the officers watching him with confused expressions. Smiling sadly he began to walk towards us. James stood, shoulder tense watching the guy. Rolling my eyes I stood up as well forcing a smile for the man’s sake.

“Hey Donny.” I whispered holding my arms out as he leaned in hugging me.

“Hey Kid.” He laughed softly. “It’s been a while.” He added as he pulled away. “And you’ve lost the weird kids? Or are you also here to bust them out as well again?” He asked softly crossing his arms over his broad chest while referring to the last time Pete, The Butcher, Sisky, Gabe and Travie got in trouble and taken down to the station by several unhappy police officers due to all the photographers.

“Nope, they’re not here.” I whispered he nodded. “Do you know what happened to Mary?” I asked. I understood she was in a car crash, nothing more than that and I wanted to know. Slowly he nodded.

“Yeah, I saw the file.” Donny whispered waving a hand at me. “Come on.” He muttered leading us down the aisles of desks; some had officers at them, others didn’t, but the ones who had officers were either staring at us confused, others were glaring that I’d sunk low enough to call Donny.

“Sir.” One officer muttered standing stopping Donny with a mere word. Turning to him Donny nodded. “Why are you here? It’s your day off.” The officer muttered softly as he scratched the back of his head, brown eyes twisted with confusion. A smile spread across my lips as I looked over at the man that I’d argued with earlier; he seemed the most tentative.

“Because it’s what I do for family.” Donny muttered walking on. Sure he wasn’t family, but he was my neighbor since I was four, he was six. We grew up together with both our dads on the same force, he’s dad had been my dad since mine died years ago.

“Fa-family?” The man stuttered a bit shocked. “I thought you only had brothers.” HE whispered staring with wide eyes. Donny laughed.

“Nope, I have two brothers, one older, one younger. I also have two younger sisters, I had an older one.” Donny whispered draping an arm over my shoulders leading my along to the back room. I blinked and smiled at him placing my arm around his waist knowing I wouldn’t be able to reach his shoulders. “Jack’s in here.” He whispered pushing the door open slowly and stopping let me just stand there.

“Why didn’t you take him home?” I asked glancing up at Don a bit confused. It was his off day but he left his ‘sisters’ kid in a station full of assholes.

“I couldn’t, procedure rules.” Donny whispered. “But, as you can tell Mikey’s, right there.” He laughed pointing at his younger brother lying with his head on the table asleep. Rolling my eyes I wandered in looking around the room. I couldn’t find Jack.

“Jack?” I asked softly. No response, not even a shuffle. Walking to Mikey I tapped him on the back of the head as Hayley, Jason and Donny all watched me. “Michael Everett Dawson wake up.” I snapped at him like his mother would. Instantly he sat up looking around. Groaning he laid back down when he saw me. “Where’s Jack?” I asked he sat back up again looking around quickly.

“Same place he’s been the whole time.” Mikey yawned pointing at the curtain. “Hiding in the window sill.” I could see a small pair of converse sticking out from under the grey curtains. Slowly walking over I pulled aside the curtain looking in at him. He didn’t look much like my sister other than the bright green eyes. He had his ‘fathers’ caramel colored skin, dark brown hair, large lips and nose. Smiling at him I sighed.

“Hi there.” I whispered, he pushed himself back into the window away from me. “I won’t hurt you. I’m you’re Aunt Ella. Do you remember me?” I asked scratching the side of my neck nervously; I couldn’t understand why I was nervous, I did with Rockstars and Famous people all day long with out a problem, a little kid shouldn’t be a problem.

Jack just stared at me. Sighing I let the curtain drop as I looked back at Donny and Mikey watching. Turning back I pulled it open smiling at him.

“I was at your birthday party last year…” I muttered trying to think of how he couldn’t know who I was. “I had bright orange hair.” I stated he just watched me with those large green eyes, a blank expression. “You turned four.” I muttered he nodded slowly, I smiled. “I got you a set of logos and had an extremely tall man with me.” I elaborated watching as his brows knitted together. “Much taller than any of the adults at the party.” I could tell he was looking at me like: ‘half the party looked really tall to me, I’m four’. He blinked several times. “Hold on.” I muttered pushing the curtain open a bit more I put my hood down and pulled my hair out of the bobby pins and bun I’d put it into. Ruffling it a bit I smiled at him. Instantly he crawled at me wrapping his arms around my neck. “Hey.” I whispered wrapping my arms around him tightly.

I could feel the pressure behind my eyes as his small arms and hands pressed against my neck and pulled a bit at my hair. His small body pressed against mine as I held him tightly. This was as much of my sister as I’d ever see again, just her eyes.

“Well, can you tell me your whole name?” I asked lightly. He laced his head on my shoulder not looking at me or anyone else as his lips twisted into a frown.

“He doesn’t talk Ella.” My head snapped to Mikey watching the two of us. Jack talked, he wouldn’t stop talking at his party last year as he and his little friends wouldn’t leave Andy alone. We’d been doing things for the tour before the party and he insisted on coming to the four year olds party; why, no one knows even to this day. “Not since…” Mikey trailed off looking away from a moment. “You know.” He finished as tears welled in my eyes and I sniffled back a few. Nodding I looked down at Jack rubbing his back soothingly.

“Oh.” Was all I managed to get out as I looked down at the small child in my arms. “Where’s his father?” I muttered lightly looking up at them. Lifting a finger Donny left the room. My eyes darted to Mikey who simply shrugged just as confused before we both went back to watching the door with Hayley and Jason.

“Who are they?” Mikey muttered pointing at Hayley and Jason.

“That’s Hayley, one of best friends.” I muttered pointing at her as she smiled weakly at the muscled up man next to me. “That’s Jason.” I stated simply, to me there was no need to explain Jason; He was self explanatory.

“Boyfriend?” He asked a bit confused.

“Body guard.” I muttered a bit slowly as I fully turned to him. “Seriously, you fist guess boyfriend?” I asked he shrugged. “You’ve met who I work for; do you think I have time to date?” I asked a bit confused. Nodding slowly he held his hands up in his defense.

“I surrender.” He whispered as Donny walked back in with a box. Setting in on the table I stared at it, it had my sister’s name on the side of the box. “Oh… that.” He muttered as Donny pulled the lid off it and began to remove a thick file and several other things: A small lidded box, her purse, and a manila envelope and then a regular white envelope with my name printed on it.

“Due to privacy we couldn’t open this one.” He muttered passing me the one with my name on it. “This one,” He lifted the manila one. “Is her will, no mention of a father but I do remember some guy named Alex last time I saw her several years back; Other than that, nothing about a father.” Donny stated officially as Mikey stood up letting me have the chair. Sitting Jack in my lap I opened the letter and pulled it out looking over the script my sister used.

Dear Ella-Bella

If you’re reading this, there are either two options that had happened. One, we’re ancient and all grown up and reflecting on the past and I’m personally showing you this as we slowly turn to goo and dust. Or, the worse option which I wish will never happen. If you’re reading this, I’m assuming it’s because I’m gone now and my son is still young or young enough to need to be taken care of and have custody over him and I will write this letter as if I have died. Isabella Leeann Phight, my sister, I want you to take care of my son Jackson William Phight, at the moment I write this he lays in his crib merely ten months old but, his father is gone now. I’ve left Jack’s father. In any case in where I cannot take care of Jack I want you to do it, I don’t want him in the hands of that abusive, alcoholic, lunatic of a man. I leave my money, my place and all my possessions to you, I know you can take care of my sonbecause you've always taken care of not only yourself but mom and Kris as wellsince you take care of half the musical industry from your living room with out a problem- I’ve seen you do it and I trust you with my life, and since I’m gone, I trust you with my sons. I want you to be his mother, not his Aunt taking care of him. His mother Ella, as if he were yours. I know you can do it, you have a big heart and you take care of everyone around you like they’re family, I don’t want my son to be any different. Give him a caring loving home and strangely weird and diverse family. Meaning you don’t have to quit your job, silly goose, I want him to be around those people, I think they’d help in raising him to be a successful, good-hearted, smart, intelligent and talented young man. Now, since you’ll have my son here are some things about him: He talks almost non-stop, he’s very smart for his age he knows a lot, don’t treat him like a stupid little kid; it’ll make him mad. He isn’t allowed much sugar or caffeine; I don’t allow him to have soda. He love fruit and vegetables he’ll always tell you when he’s full don’t try and feed him past that it’ll make him sick. He’s bed time is seven-thirty, sometimes eight and he doesn’t have a problem with going to sleep for the most part, you just have to check for monsters; he also sleeps best with his blanky, it’s blue with the Rugrats on it, he takes it just about everywhere with him. He is potty trained, and he’ll let you know when he has to go so you don’t have to worry about that. He’s four, you should know that. He doesn’t like his hair very short, he likes it kinda long. His favorite thing to watch is the Rugrats and the Rugrats movie. Favorite Disney Movie is Alice in Wonderland; I think it’s the colors that get him. The Nightmare Before Christmas scares him because of all the monsters in it. He loves apples and carrots, and juice. He draws and colors constantly while humming random songs, because he just can’t be quite. He’s allergic to certain medicines but you should be getting a list of those later, he has really bad asthma so make sure you have an inhaler with you for him when you go anywhere smoky or dusty. I love you, please Ella take care of my son for me, it’s all I ask of you. I’ll be watching over you both.

Love Mary

Folding the letter back up I sighed looking down at Jack then opened the letter looking at it again. She sounded like a nervous ranting mother, which at the time I couldn’t blame her. She was doing what was best for her son.

“What happened?” I asked looking back up at Donny. He lifted the large file opening it with a sigh.

“Well on January Eighth of two-thousand-eight Mary Jean Phight was killed almost instantly in a car crash going from work to the day care where her son was waiting for her. Her car was t-boned on the right side by a large Ford Truck blowing through a red light. The drive has yet to be apprehended but witnesses called in the license plate so were out patrolling for him now. She had…” He stopped as I waved my hand at him. I didn’t want to know her injuries. “I’m sorry Ella.” He whispered as I stood up. “This stuff.” He muttered waving to the items he’d taken out. “Our yours now. In her will she leaves everything to you.” He whispered. I nodded reaching for the box and opening it. Inside laid her jewelry. “That was removed from her at the accident sight.” He whispered as I lifted the small angle her skirt turning into a crystal. Smiling I draped the large chain around Jack’s neck and watched as his small hands fumbled with it before he looked back up at me and hugged it tightly to his chest. She had a necklace with a cross hanging off the chain, two silver banded rings and a pair of pearl earrings.

Draping the chair of the second necklace around my neck I closed the box, I’d give them to Jack when he was older. Pulling the purse close I found her wallet with her Id, money, and credit cards in it, her cell phone which had died, some old receipts and several other items that didn’t hold much purpose. Nodding I licked my lips.

Donny put everything back in the box but the file and pushed it towards me. Jason took it resting it against his hip watching me instead of Donny’s narrowed eyes. Standing I rubbed Jack’s arm.

“Can we go now?” I whispered.

“You’ve got paper work you’ve gotta do.” Donny muttered nodding his head to Mikey who turned around looking for something on a large bookshelf behind the two brothers. Pulling out a thin file he handed it to Donny. “Pen?” Mikey pointed to the one in his brothers coat pocket. Pulling it out, Donny set the file and pen on the table. “We have to do this.” He muttered seeing how much I didn’t want to do it. “By the way,” Donny muttered as I sat down and began to fill out the paper work to adopt and cake custody of Jack. “Your mom called me the other day after we called her and she said she’ll do the funeral.” I nodded as a weight lifted off my shoulders. My mother was such a good person, she didn’t have to bury her daughter, just have to show up to the funeral. It’s not like she hadn’t gone slightly mental when my father had died. “She wants to know what you think of cremation,” My eyes lifted to him a bit confused. “There’s no way you can have an open casket.” He muttered as I pushed one piece of the many papers towards him. He looked it over before going on. “Her body was mangled. Molly said something about her having a casket in the ground and a head stone, but cremate her so you could have a small earn of her with a picture and so could she. Like she did with Tom.” I paused as my fathers name and sighed. Looking up at him I smiled.

“I’ll take to her; now shush so I can do this.” I stated pointing to the papers with the pen. Laughing he nodded keeping his mouth shut while Mikey stood over his shoulder. Hayley and Jason sat on either side of me incase I needed help or support.
♠ ♠ ♠
comment please.