‹ Prequel: Cigarette Daydreams

These Four Words

013

January 21th 2015
Tempe, Arizona
6:30 pm


“Are you almost ready?” I heard John groan from our room. I wanted to roll my eyes, but I was currently at the mercy of eyelash curlers and didn't want to risk anything. I checked my outfit over once more, dark washed jeans and a silver backless tank that caught the eye just right. I decided to go with a pair of black pumps instead of converse just so I wouldn’t feel so tiny next to John.

“Perfection takes time,” I told him while setting the eyelash curler down and picking up a tube of my maroon lipstick.

“You always look perfect,” John appeared at the door way almost startling me.

“I would typically agree with you,” I threw him a smirk. “However, I am meeting your friends so it’s important that I look nice.” I covered my lips in the shade that I adored so much. Perfect.

“They could careless what you look like,” John encouraged.

“I’m sure that is what you think.” I threw the lipstick in my shoulder bag and turned to face John. “I’m ready.” He leaned in to kiss me and I turned my cheek. “My primer isn’t dry yet.” He groaned and I laughed.

“Well don’t you two look just darling!” Jenny cooed at us. I blushed and leaned into John.

“Hey mom, we are just about to head out. Are you ready?” John’s mom was wearing a simple pair of jeans, a long-sleeved shirt, and a really cute pair of ankle boots. She looked stylish while at the same time looking effortless.

“I am,” She smiled. “Should I drive?”

John shrugged, “Probably the best idea.” We followed her down the hallway out into the garage where we all clambered up into her small SUV. I knew the studio where we would be having the party wasn’t too far away.

“So Erin,” Jenny looked at me through the rear-view mirror. “Have you heard any of John’s new songs?”

I smiled as John groaned in the front seat. Jenny was starting to become my new favorite around here. “I have, but he has only let me listen to one.”

Jenny gasped. “Oh you have to hear the whole album, I’m so proud of him.” She looked over at her son in admiration. I longed to have a mother that looked at me like that. After everything I put her through, I was surprised she still wanted anything to do with me.

“What is your favorite song?” I asked politely.

“Well I do enjoy Miles Away, but my all time favorite would always and forever be Jenny.” She blushed a light shade of red and my heart swelled. He wrote a song for his mom?

“What about you deary? What is your favorite?”

I thought about it for a moment. I knew majority of John’s songs because him and Alex were so close. They had helped each other out through majority of their producing and touring. Plus working at AP helped teach me a lot about all kinds of bands. “I’m a big fan of These Four Words.”

“Really?” John asked looking a little shocked.

“I love the emotion behind it. The song is beautiful and real.”

“I would have to agree.” Jenny gave us her input and it was silent until we arrived at the studio, twenty minutes later. John quickly got out and opened both my door and his mothers. I thanked him and quickly latched on to his extended arm. We walked up behind his mother, who seemed to know the studio just as well as John, and a young woman greeted. She quickly took our coats and ushered us into the back room where everyone was.

“I’m nervous,” I told John and he gave my hand a reassuring squeeze.

“Don’t be,” He whispered back. We entered the large room and there had to be about thirty or forty people there. I was overwhelmed, but I had honestly expected more people. A shorter man with long hair approached John first. He wore a big, happy smile as he embraced his band mate.

“Pat!” John exclaimed, pulling his friend into a bone-crushing hug. When they pulled apart, Pat turned towards me and pulled me into a hug.

“So this is the girl that stole you away from us,” He joked when he pulled back.

“My name is Erin,” I told him while trying to control my blush. “It’s nice to meet you.”

“Likewise.” Pat held his hand out to me. “Come meet the rest of the hooligans.” Before I could shoot John a worried glance, Pat snagged my hand and was dragging me away from John. “So Erin, Where are you from?” Pat asked as we weaved us in and out of the crowd.

“Originally Florida but I live in New York City now.”

“Ooh big city girl,” He looked back at me and winked. “Now we know why John hasn’t left your side.” I chuckled as we approached the semi-circle of boys. “Look who I have!” Pat pushed me towards them. “John’s girlfriend, Erin.”

“Oh I’m no—“

“I’m Kennedy,” The taller one with dark hair held out his hand completely ignoring my protest. “You look really familiar.”

“I uh—“

“I’m Jared,” Another one introduced himself shyly. I gave him a small smile.

“And I’m Garrett,” The one with a ginger tent introduced himself.

“I remember,” Kennedy, snapped his fingers. “You used to date Alex Gaskarth.” All eyes were on me waiting for my answer, recognition beginning to flood their eyes.

“Well yes, Alex and I did date for a little while.” I mumbled looking around for John. This conversation was heading south.

“And now you are dating another leading lad,” Garrett confirmed with a small smirk. Oh god they think I’m a band whore.

“No, no it’s not like that.” I tried to explain. I don't know what it was about me that always attracted these kind of situations.

“Then what is it like?” Kennedy asked raising an eyebrow.

“John and I are just really good friends.”

“Who have sex on occasions,” Jared added and all the color left my face.

“Uh—well. No. well—yes but.”

“Are you guys done giving Erin a hard time?” John appeared out of nowhere and handed me a red solo cup full of liquor. I took it and greedily drowned half of it.

“Does Alex know that the two of you are together?” Kennedy asked not looking particularly pleased.

“Well we aren’t rea—“

“No,” John cut me off and I resisted the urge to roll my eyes. “And he wont know.”

Pat laughed, “You are delirious.”

Garrett nodded his head agreeing with his friend, “You two need to tell him before someone spots the two of you together.”

“Enough of this,” John waved his hands around ending the conversation. “Lets get drunk and make regrettable decisions.” All the guys nodded their heads. They were off on another topic of sports in a matter of seconds and I was finally out of the spotlight.

“Your friends are something else,” I told John with a small chuckle.

“I’m sorry about them.”

“Don’t be,” I shrugged. “They are just looking out for you.”

“Yeah,” John smiled. “They are family.” John leaded down and kissed me. I was a little shocked at the PDA but nonetheless I returned his kiss. When we pulled back John was wearing a bigger grin. “We do need to tell Alex though.” Instead of arguing and telling John that we weren’t dating, I just smiled and nodded my head. As long as he stopped nagging me about it, I was fine with telling him whatever he wanted to hear. Was it pathetic of me? Probably.

“Hey Erin, are you any good at flip cup?” Kennedy shouted across the room, successfully calling me out in front of everyone.

I smirked, “Uh not really.” Kennedy looked pleased with my answer, only if the poor boy knew.

“Pat’s team needs one more person!” I made my way over to the long table everyone was situated at. Kennedy’s team had John, Tim, and some girl I hadn’t met. Pat’s team had Jared, Garret, and myself. I heard Garret moan and complain that he didn’t like losing. I didn’t like losing either, so I wasn’t planning on it.

“The girls on the end,” John told everyone. He was probably thinking that it would be entertaining to watch me struggle on the last cup.

“How about I go first?” I offered shyly. “That way I can watch your face when I kick your ass O’Callaghan." Everyone around us gave cores of “ohhs” and I knew I had John right where I needed him.

“Those are some fighting words, Ms. Taylor.” John smirked and took a sip of his beer. “How about we make this interesting?” Bingo.

“What do you suggest?” I leaned forward trying to hide my smile. I could hear my team in the background groaning, thinking that I was being stupid.

“The losing team has to strip down and go skinny dipping in the fountain out back.” He looked way too confident as he stuck out his hand for me to shake. I sealed his fate when our hands met. “I can’t wait to make you streak.” John laughed when he pulled back and I rolled my eyes.

“Prepare to drink your words.” Everyone settled into his or her stance. My hand hovered above my solo cup full of beer.

“Ok on the count of three,” Kennedy announced from the end of the table. “One, two, three.” I quickly picked up my cup and brought it to my lips, letting the beer go down my throat at a concerning rate. I slammed my cup back down on the table not bothering to glance at John. I flipped my cup on the first try and turned towards Garret, who was trying to hold back his shocked expression.

“GO!” I yelled and that snapped Garret out of his trance. Only then did I cast a glance Johns way, noticing he was struggling to flip his cup. Garret slammed his cup down as soon as his competition, Tim, began drinking. Garret flipped his cup on the third try while Tim was still trying to get down the cup full of beer.

“DRINK PAT!” I yelled as the poor guy struggled to finish the contents in a timely manner. Tim flipped his cup as soon as Pat did, and I knew we had it in the bag. The girl on their team was quick but not as quick as Jared. The game was over before Kennedy could even touch his drink.

“HOW?!” Kennedy yelled towards me at the end.

I giggled slyly looking at John, “I was in college and in a sorority. I can chug and beat all of you at just about any drinking game.” I crossed my hands over my chest. This was too easy.

“Wow, I am impressed and terrified.” Pat joked.

“So, losing team.” I turned to face John again with a large smirk. “Time to strip.”
♠ ♠ ♠
I normally do not do the whole "double posting" thing but you guys honestly rock. Thank you to A Synful Vengeance for commenting, this fun chapter is for you!!