‹ Prequel: Cigarette Daydreams

These Four Words

December 31st 2014,
New York City, New York
11:50


I walked into the ballroom with ten minutes to spare and I quickly spotted whom I was here to see. The happy couple almost illuminated the dance floor and I felt sick to my stomach. The blonde girl was everything I wasn’t. She was tall, skinny, and perfect for him. I looked down at my modest tulle skirt and my long blank fitted top that left my whole back exposed and felt out of place for an engagement party, that I wasn’t invited to.

Cause we can't be friends that much I know
I wish it wasn't so


I look more like I was on my way to a funeral. My funeral if I get caught. I mean who throws and engagement party on New Years? It so Alex. He loved the attention and he loved any excuse to have the spot light on him. He leaned in to kiss the blonde bombshell and I about puked. I needed a fucking smoke. You walked out on him remember?

And I can't take my heart someplace it won't go


“Excuse me?” I looked up to see a very attractive man looking at me quizzically; yep I was overdressed when I can’t even blend in with this crowed anymore.

“Yes?” I smiled politely.

“You don’t look familiar, are you a friend of the bride?”

I wanted to laugh. Do I look like a model? “I’m an old friend of Alex.”

His eyebrows raised showing off his electric green eyes, “Oh really? You sure your not a wedding crasher?” This caused some people near us to study me with curiosity.

“This is just the engagement party,” I spoke softly hoping we weren’t causing a scene and the blonde hair boy seemed to be ok with my answer.

“Well any friend of Alex is a friend of mine,” He held out his hand. “I’m John.”

My eyes grew wide. Shit. The same John I met three years ago on tour.

These four words don’t come easy


“Nice to meet you John but I must be on my way.” If I stayed any longer I was probably going to run into the wrong person. I turned to leave and John caught my arm, recognition was in his eyes.

“Aren’t you going to tell me your name?”

I looked back at him apologetically as the one-minute countdown began to go off. “I must be leaving.” I turned away again walking towards the exit door and I noticed the happy couple once more leaning in to kiss. I—thankfully made it to the door before I had to witness that and walked straight into busy Manhattan.

“Happy New Year!”

This is the last year I would be spending wondering about Alex Gaskarth. If he could move on and get engaged then I would move on. No more wondering where we would be now. No more wondering if we would have a house, or kids. No, he was in the past. I shook the thoughts out of my head and glanced behind me once more, noticing the bright green eyes still following me as I weaved in and out of the crowds. Goodbye Alex.

I don’t love you


Disclaimer: I don't own ATL or The Maine, duh. I do own this plot and the OC. Sequel to Cigarette Daydreams, it's recommended to read that one first. The title credit and lyrics are from The Maine.
  1. 001
  2. 002
  3. 003
    Some N-17 material
  4. 004
    Some N-17 material
  5. 005
  6. 006
  7. 007
  8. 008
  9. 009
  10. 010
  11. 011
  12. 012
  13. 013
  14. 014
  15. 015
  16. 016
  17. 017
  18. 018
  19. 019
  20. 020
    Part One
  21. 020
    Part Two
  22. 021
  23. 022
  24. 023
  25. 024
  26. Epilogue
  27. Alternate Ending