Sequel: Deeply Bound

Simple Affair

First Sight

For a couple of seconds the screen is black, I say "Hello? Hello?" Like magic the video appears with the man in the photos that I so have a crush on. The feeling is amazing and you know it is funny all the things that we end up taking for granted in our lives, like being able to talk through voice and see someone live. My friend has come to life before my eyes and he is all smiles on the other end, my handsome, masculine southern man. His eyes are happy and true. He has such beautiful, intelligent eyes, medium brown hair that is cut short and it has been flicked up in the front with a bit of gel; he has a goatee, trimmed short and a gorgeous complexion. He takes my breath away, he is beautiful and I just can't shake the feeling that I knew him before. It is like we were two long lost souls that found each other and are reconnecting again. I see my own reflection, in the phone, how I look to him in the corner of the screen, my soft, silky brown hair, my tanned complexion and my blue eyes looking back at me. It's distracting to see yourself as you appear to others, but when I look at myself I see nothing but one happy girl, and nothing else matters in her world except for this moment in spending time with her man. I hold on to this thought for as long as I can. I long to be closer to him, to touch him, and feel him, it’s never enough for my little greedy soul.

His voice comes through, friendly, warm and with a Texan flavor to it, "Why hello there!" He says in a breath, and then gushes, "You are so beautiful, I know I have said this already but wow Jordan."

I laugh, "Why thank you, you’re pretty handsome yourself." I don't know what to do with myself it's like I have been struck stupid. My god, I'm speechless, which is funny, because we talk none stop via text. There is some feedback on the line.

Devon is the first to point it out and in between the noise we continue to type to each other when it’s too hard to hear. He comments, “There is lots of noise on the line.”

I answer back to him with typing what I was trying to say to him in the video, “I was saying it is like there is a bird in your house or something.”

He smiles and shakes his head and types what he is saying, “Nope, no birds, just me and two cats. Wow, that noise is bad sorry, well at least the video is okay.”

I reply in text because I know that if it sounds bad on my side it must be the same for him. “Hmm okay it’s hard to hear you.”

“I’m sorry. At least I can see you.” He types it and smiles at me through the camera. The reaction is seconds delayed but I agree with him, I am so happy to see him.

I suggest, “Maybe we could start the call over?”

“Okay”

I drop the connection first and then type to him to let him know that I am still here at my desk, “Sorry, I had to drop off cause of the weird feedback.”

He answers, “Okay, yeah it was bad feedback, but wow you are very pretty in person! It could be the distance causing the feedback. I can try again.”

He makes the call and I answer, but it is the same weird noise, like some pesky bird that won’t shut up.

I want to try one more thing and reply to him and his kind words, “Ah thanks, well this sucks. Okay, hold on I’m going to turn my phone off and turn it back on.”

He types into the chat window while I restart my phone, “Yeah, I rebooted mine also. I heard your voice; it is very lovely, in between all of the bird noise.”

My phone is rebooted and I ask him, “Hmm okay can you try calling me again?”

Devon explains, “If I turn down the sound the weird noise is gone. I think it is the microphone doing it.”

This video chat has me so intrigued. I realize that it’s been around for a while but I have to admit that I haven’t used it much. I have had a couple of relatives call me on video chat and it was always them calling me. I ask, “How did you call? Did you see my number?”

He answers, “There was no number it is just through email.”
I wonder why it asked me for a credit card and wonder if he got that also, “Did you get all the prompts asking for the credit card information when you downloaded the application?”

“No”

We are able to hear each other somewhat and again that weird bird noise is coming through between our chatter and it gets to the point where we have to use text, I tease him, my technical support guy on the other end to blame him for the noise, “Oh its totally on your side.”
He gives me a playful shrug on the camera and types, “I think so. I am trying to look at the microphone settings.”

I watch him on my screen and can’t take my eyes away from him. He smiles at me and I can see that he is typing something. He asks, “So, am I okay looking?”

I am a little surprised that he even asks because I see myself with how I look through the camera to him and I am all googly eyed and smiles over my southern gentleman. I respond, “Of course!”
I see his eyes glance at the screen as he reads my answer and he looks back at the camera and smiles at me. He types, “I want this bird to die.”

“Me too, I hate birds.”

Devon types, “Well I don’t live in a jungle.”

We are both entranced by the other. I see it in him as he sees it in me. I just lean forward on my desk to get a closer look at him and instinctively he does the same and when he does I giggle.
I say, "Devon we talk so much in text and now look at us. We finally get this working and have nothing to say."

He laughs, "I know!" Our eyes catch each other staring at one another and we both laugh again.
I say, "So would you like a tour of my home?"

"Sure, I would like that."

I take him first around the office then to the different rooms in my finished basement. In my office, I have two “L” shaped sand colored wood desks that mirror each other and cover three walls of the room. One is for me and the other for Josh. My personal computer comes equipped with two large flat screen monitors because I work on a lot of writing and I also help Josh with photo editing. Josh’s hobby is photography and his desk has three monitors. We recently renovated the basement so the office has a new coat of light grey blue paint and we have also installed oak flooring. Moving along to the next room it’s a larger space. I have a chocolate brown leather loveseat recliner couch that faces a large flat screen television. The new oak flooring is also in this room and the walls in here are a deeper blue. I explain that we watch all of our movies here. I have a divider and the second half of the room is a photo studio equipped with different color back drops and lighting. I move the camera around the room so that Devon can see. I giggle as I take him to the next room. It’s nothing special, just a laundry room, storage area and a bathroom. The last room in the basement, I am embarrassed about because I am not happy with my paint job. I explain to him that I tried to paint a mural, but it went completely wrong. I tried to paint a forest but to me it looks like something that would be found in a preschool class room. It’s my gym, it has mirrors, another flat screen television, weights, a smith machine, treadmill and elliptical.

I hear him comment as I move the camera around the room, “Jordan, I think your paint job looks good. I don’t get that feeling of being in a preschool classroom.”

“Thanks, but for me I imagined it looking a certain way and what I painted isn’t what I had in mind. I think the problem is that I used too much color and I think I need to add more black and white to tone it down and make it look more mature.” I have the camera back on me at this point and I just shrug. “Okay, I’ll take you upstairs.”

I show him the entrance, the door to the garage, the living room with its light brown walls the kitchen with its white cupboards and black appliances and beige walls and the dining area. It has a modern, sophisticated chandelier and French doors going into the back yard and a peachy burnt orange color painted on an accent wall. As I move through the rooms, I tell him about the work we put into the home and the painting I've been doing and such.

I take him down the hall to where all the bedrooms are and he makes a silly comment, "Oh, nice hallway!"

I laugh, "Yah I know, exciting! Sorry the rooms are a bit of a mess with the laundry." I have two spare bedrooms in the hall. They are simple, small, and each fit double beds and a dresser. The walls are painted the same beige as the hallway and kitchen. There is the main level bathroom in the hall, and at the end is the master bedroom which is a bit of a mess. I stripped the bed to wash the sheets earlier in the morning, so what Devon sees is a room painted with two shades of light and dark brown, a stripped bed, closet and master bathroom.

He smiles back at me through the live video, "That's okay, I don't mind. You have a nice home." He says with a warm smile and there is a moment where we kind of stop and look at each other. This is so much harder than I had thought, I love this but wow you would think that we were two people that were locked up for years in solitude and are seeing another person for the first time.

I break the silence. "Would you like to see my new car?"

"I would like that." With that said, I take him to the garage, well with the help of my phone he can see into my world. I come in from the garage and head back downstairs to the office. The interference is becoming a little much, but we make due by typing messages when we can't make out what the other is saying. He is captivating to me and aside from the staring at each other we discuss our writing, where we get our ideas, how we work, it's a good conversation.

We have been talking for hours, but it feels like minutes and he says to me, "I am afraid that I need to let you go. I am expecting a phone call soon." I know what it means; his spouse has likely arranged to call him once her plane has landed. I don't want him to get in trouble so I don't put up a fight to keep him. He smiles at me, "It was so nice to actually see you today and we will do this again. I promise." With that he smiles and wave’s goodbye into the camera and then my screen goes black. My heart already misses him. I sit there for a moment just thinking about it all and it makes me forget for a moment where I am.

Reality starts to set in and I feel that my stomach growling. I need to eat, time to make a sandwich.

-------------------------------------------

Follow me on:

Twitter @AuthorCRMisty

Facebook https://www.facebook.com/AuthorCRMisty/?ref=aymt_homepage_panel

Google+ https://plus.google.com/105706338719722174802
♠ ♠ ♠
Follow me on:

Twitter @AuthorCRMisty

Facebook https://www.facebook.com/AuthorCRMisty/?ref=aymt_homepage_panel

Google+ https://plus.google.com/105706338719722174802