Through the Eyes of the Broken

10

The weekend slowly went by. Between all my pain medications and Derek taking my pain away, I was feeling a lot better. I think I was even healing faster than usual, then again it might just be me thinking so. I still had the black and blue bruises scattered across my body. My back seemed to have the worst of it. Thankfully, it never hurt unless I put a lot of pressure on it. Then there were the cuts on my face which were healing nicely, though it would probably leave a scar or two.

Things with Derek were getting better than they had been. He had went out and bought me a new phone even though I hadn't ask him for one. He brought me food and anything else I needed just so I didn't have to leave the warehouse. I knew he was trying to keep me safe though. We didn't know what the Argents were up to, and we both knew I could easily be taken by them. That had already been proven.

I was sorting through my clothes when I heard footsteps echo through the warehouse. I took a quick glance behind me to see Derek. By the look on his face, I could tell something was bothering him. "What's wrong with you?"

"Nothing," was his simple reply. I let out an annoyed sigh before standing up.

"Really, Derek? C'mon, just tell me."

"Lydia is missing," he answered even though I could tell that wasn't what was really bothering him.

"Missing? She's actually out of the hospital?" I remembered back to a few nights ago when Scott, Allison, and Stiles were telling me how Peter had bit her.

"Since yesterday. She woke up and the next thing they know she is gone."

"So, she is a werewolf?"

"I don't know. Nobody has found her yet."

"Are you going to look for her?" I raised a brow, wondering if he would try and make her join his pack. After all, he was now the big, bad Alpha who didn't have anyone. At least I don't think he did unless he talked Scott into joining him.

"Not my problem." I was quite surprised at his answer. I figured he would also since there was a good chance the hunters were as well as Scott and his friends. I'm sure by now the entire town would be looking for a missing girl who disappeared from the hospital.

Derek went into the subway car where he usually stayed. I went back to sorting through my clean and dirty clothes. When I found my clothes from the other night, I pulled the necklace out of my pocket. I frowned seeing that the chain was broken after assuming that Kate jerked it off my neck.

"Hey, Derek? I need to go to the store," I told him shoving the necklace into the pocket of my jeans. It felt off not having the necklace around my neck and I needed to fix that as soon as possible.

"Why?" he questioned as he left the subway car. I could feel him watching me as I counted how much money I had.

After shoving the money into my pocket, I turned around and pulled the necklace back out, holding it up for him to see. "Needs fixed." Derek came over to me before taking the necklace from my hand to examine it.

"I'll go," he told me, handing the necklace back. I frowned before crossing my arms over my chest.

"I've been stuck inside this place for nearly two days! I want to get out for once. I am feeling much better and don't really think anyone plans on killing me." Derek muttered a 'fine' without really arguing about it.

-

As soon as we got outside of the store, I was already placing the pendant on the newly bought chain. I began to try and clasp it around my neck so I had the comfort of it being there, but was struggling. Derek came up behind me after watching my failed attempts. He pulled my dark hair to one side before taking the necklace from my hands, almost instantly clasping it together. "Thank you," I smiled to him as my hand reached for the pendant, happy that it was now there.

Derek took me straight back to the warehouse after that before leaving me alone. For someone who wanted to protect me, he liked to leave me by myself a lot. Then again I knew nobody would find this place anytime soon.

-

It was late at night when I was woken up by someone pulling the blankets over me. My eyes opened tiredly to see Derek walking away from me. The lights were turned off a few moments later as I closed my eyes to go back to sleep.

I was about asleep when I heard footsteps again before hearing a voice that wasn't Derek's. I sat up seeing a light shine through the subway windows, causing me to blink a few times as my eyes adjusted. Whoever it was sounded young and scared as they stumbled over their words and stuttered something about 'the bite'. I got up off the couch before entering the subway from behind Derek. I was trying to be quiet but accidentally kicked something on floor. As the pain shot throughout my foot, I cursed under my breath as I realized why Derek told me not to go walking around barefoot. Derek didn't even flinch at the sound, but who he was talking to shined the light on me through the broken subway window.

"Wh-who's sh-she?" the boy asked, glancing over at Derek.

"What's going on?" I asked, shielding the light from the flashlight from my eyes.

"It doesn't concern you. Go back to sleep," Derek told me.

"Is sh-she like y-you?" the boy questioned, not moving the light off of me. He knew Derek was a werewolf and was asking for 'the bite?' My brows knitted together as I put the pieces together. Did Derek really offer him the bite?

"Derek, what do you think you are doing?" I questioned, looking at him with disappointment.

"She is not, but she knows," Derek told the boy, ignoring me.

"Derek," I grabbed his arm and tried to pull him away from the boy for a second so we could talk in private. "Seriously? I need to talk to you. Right now."

"Chloe, it is none of your business. Go back to sleep," Derek told me sternly as he looked over at me.

"You cannot do this to him," I hissed, taking a quick glance at the boy who still seemed terrified. He didn't seem much younger that I was.

Derek told the boy he'd be right back before grabbing my wrist and pulling me back out of the subway to the couch. "Giving him the bite would be a blessing to him. He is willing to become a werewolf. I've told him everything he needs to know even and he came here voluntarily. I need a pack, Chloe. It's something you don't understand."

"You couldn't find anyone older?! He's younger than I am! Who is he? One of Scott's friends or something?"

"Don't question my choices."

"Fine," I seethed. "Do whatever you want! I'm sure that'll keep the hunters from you!" I jerked my wrist from his grasp before laying back down on the couch. Derek didn't say anything as he went back to talk to the boy. Unbelievable.

It wasn't long before I heard them leave the warehouse. Most likely so Derek could bite him without being in my presence. He was as bad as Peter was with changing teenagers. I began to wonder if the boy would be more like Scott and not want to join his pack. Wouldn't he be screwed then.

I decided to ignore the fact that Derek was turning some kid into a werewolf. There wasn't anything I could do. Like Derek said, he needed a pack. Of course I did understand that. I knew having a pack made them stronger. What I didn't understand was why this boy? Then again I'd probably never understand why Derek does anything. All I could do is let it slide. It was the only person he had turned... at least from what I was aware of. I knew I'd find out the answer to that eventually as well as whatever else Derek was hiding from me. I just had to be patient.
♠ ♠ ♠
outfit