Would You Fall Too?

42: I Won’t Hold It Against You

“You’re really sure about coming tonight?” Sergio posed as he wandered around their bedroom, finding a jacket to put on over his shirt. It had been a while, since he had been to visit her father, almost a month had passed, and the day had come for Real Madrid to play their last match of the season at the Bernabeu, something which meant Sergio would be the one who was lifting the La Liga trophy, a moment he was looking forwards to immensely. It had been a tough race, Barcelona had battled up until the previous week where a draw had seen them lose the chance to win, and Sergio couldn’t wait to lift the trophy. It was one of the moments he’d been looking forwards to when it’d been announced that he would follow Iker as the captain of Real Madrid.

“It’s a pretty big moment for you” Emilie commented from her spot on the bed “Do you not want me there?” she posed.

“Of course I do” Sergio retorted quickly “There’s nothing I’d like more, but I just don’t want you to feel uncomfortable. You’re not fond of big crowds” he added, offering her a look before he moved to collect his shoes, pulling them onto his feet.

Emilie shook her head. “I’m not normally” she noted “But it’s not every day that you get to lift the title. I want to be there to see that, Sese” she explained gently. She was nervous, the idea of going to the stadium unsettled her greatly, but she wanted to do it for him. It was a big deal and Emilie wanted to be there to show her support for him.

Sergio smiled. “It is a big deal” he noted bashfully.

Emilie grinned and edged towards him, pressing a kiss to his cheek. “You deserve it” she noted gently, wrapping her arms around him in a warm hug. She was still nervous, though there had been no movement on the Jeremy front, she still couldn’t quite bring herself to feel comfortable, but she wanted to make the effort to be there for Sergio. The defender had been wonderful to her, he was sweet and attentive, and whilst Emilie still had moments where she wondered why on earth he would want to waste his time with her, she didn’t want to let him down. It was a big day for him and she was more than happy to be there for him.

Sergio smiled at the feel of her arms around him and wrapped his around her, pressing a kiss to the top of her head. “I’ll have Isla keep an eye on you” he murmured softly.

“You don’t have to do that” Emilie noted.

“She’s going to be there, Cristiano insisted that she and Junior would be, and I don’t see the harm in asking her to keep an eye on you. You’d probably end up sat together anyway” Sergio noted as he swayed her gently. He knew she didn’t like to feel as though she was being babysat, but Sergio merely wanted to make sure that someone was around to keep an eye on her. He just wanted to make sure she wasn’t alone.

Emilie offered him a small look before she peeked at the clock over his shoulder. “I have to go” she noted “I promised Isla that I would meet her in town for lunch. I will see you tonight?” she posed as she stepped away from him, collecting her cardigan from the side.

Sergio nodded his head and pecked her lips before she stepped out of the room, affording him the chance to pad towards his bag, his brown eyes lighting up a little at the sight of the small black box which was subtly hidden in his bag. He knew that it was soon, to his mind, he and Emilie had been together for 11 months, but he didn’t see the harm in asking. He knew what he wanted, he wanted to be with her and to start thinking about a future together, and he didn’t want to hold out anymore. He already had Charlie’s blessing and from conversations that he’d had with Isla, he had a sense that Emilie was ready too.

~#~
“He looks so happy” Isla mused as she nudged Emilie, her hand gesturing towards Sergio who stood on the pitch, doing his familiar matador celebration. It had been a good night, Madrid had beaten Deportivo by a comfortable 3-0 score line, and Emilie could see just how buoyant it had left Sergio. He hadn’t stopped beaming since the final whistle had blown, if anything, he’d started grinning more and more since he had put his hands on the trophy.

“He does” Emilie smiled, her blue eyes briefly leaving the sight of her boyfriend and peeking at Isla “Cristiano does too” she added, gesturing to the Portuguese man who stood a little away from them, cooing over his son.

“He asked me to move in with him” Isla noted.

“He did?” Emilie squeaked.

Isla nodded her head. “He did it before the game, I agreed of course” she enthused.

“I’m happy for you” Emilie noted “You two are wonderful together and his son seems to love you too” she added.

Isla blushed a little before Cristiano appeared, ducking down to kiss the blonde gently.

Emilie watched the pair of them before she felt a hand grab onto her own, a sensation which caused her to look up at Sergio who grinned at her brightly. “I have something I want to show you” he noted softly as he pressed a series of light kisses to the side of her face “Follow me” he added, tugging on her arm slightly.

Emilie offered him a slightly dubious look before she followed along behind him, following him up the tunnel and into the home dressing room. “You wanted to show me a room that smells like sweat and feet?” Emilie posed as she followed him inside, her blue eyes peeking around the room a little timidly.

“No” Sergio teased from his spot by his locker “But I figured you’d not appreciate being in front of thousands of strangers when I did this” he commented as he pulled something out his bag.

Emilie frowned. “When you did what?” she posed.

Sergio took a breath before he turned to face her, his hands carefully holding onto the small box which made Emilie’s eyes widen. “Sese” she squeaked.

“I know it’s quick” Sergio noted “And I wouldn’t hold it against you if you said no, but I know what I want, Emmy, and what I want is you. I’ve become so much happier in the last 11 months that we’ve been dating and that is all on you. I look forwards to coming home now that I know you’re waiting for me and that is why, Emmy” he took another deep breath before he knelt down on the floor ahead of her “I’d like you to agree to be my wife” he added.

Emilie stared at him, her expression undecipherable.

“Emmy?” Sergio posed.

“You’re really saying that?” she squeaked, her eyes fixed on him.

Sergio nodded his head.

“This isn’t some kind of trick?” she rambled.

Sergio shook his head and pushed himself up to his feet. “No trick. I want you, Emmy, and I’d love you to become my wife” he insisted.

Emilie swallowed before she slowly nodded her head. “Ok” she noted.

“You know what you’re saying yes to, right?” Sergio mused.

Emilie nodded her head. “I want it too” she admitted.

Sergio quirked a little smile before he carefully pulled the ring out of the box, placing it on her finger before he pulled her into a tight hug, more than a little surprised that she had said yes.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to Jayme112234 and FootieJo for the comments :)