Status: in progress

Shanghai

Ch 5

It was more packed than it was the last time Kellin came. It wasn’t even that big of bar yet more people managed to fit in than humanly capable. People were bumping and grinding, drinking and smoking, kissing and fighting. This was definitely not Kellin’s scene. He was holding onto Mike’s hand, who weaved him through the sweaty bodies and up to the bar.

“Alex!” Mike shouted over the music. “Two!”

“What did you order?” Kellin asked Mike in his ear.

“Something to drink.” He said back. “Wait here for them; I have to do something.”

“Hey, it’s you again!” Alex said as he walked up to him. “Did you come here with Mike?”

“Yeah, you know him?”

“He’s a regular.” Kellin nodded taking one of the glasses and sniffing it, receiving a weird look from Alex. “Why are you sniffing it? I didn’t put anything in there.” Kellin looked at him suspiciously before taking a small sip. “So how do you know Mike?”

“He’s classmate of mine.”

“Classmate?”

“Yeah. I go to college and after this year, I’m transferring.”

“Oh cool, where?”

“Haven’t decided yet.” Alex just nodded. Another bartender came up to Alex and whispered something into his ear, looking slightly annoyed and mad.

“I have to work or something like that.” Alex said with an eye roll. “It was nice seeing you again.” Kellin just smiled and waved.

Kellin sat at one of the stools and sighed. Mike ditched him, Alex was busy working and he didn’t know anyone here. The drinks in front of him seemed to be taunting him. It was like they were team-tagging.

Look at us, Kellin! they said. Drink us! Kellin shook his head and pushed the glasses away, Drink us, drink us, drink us! they yelled at him. It was like they began chanting those words loudly in his ear; with the added loud music and the ‘voices’ coming from the cups, Kellin started to work up a headache. He abruptly stood up and began making his way to the exit. He was so, so, so, close when he felt a hand grip his elbow. He looked behind him and saw Mike’s confused face.

“Hey, where you going?” He asked.

Kellin tugged his elbow from Mikes grip and continued to rush out of bar. Once he was outside, he started running toward his home. It was a bad idea to come back in the first place. He should’ve stayed home to make sure nothing happened to his siblings.

It zoomed right by his ear, after he heard the loud bang.

They shot at him.

Looking back, he saw four shadowy figures running after him. He couldn’t go home with them chasing him. He continued to run, taking streets and alleyways that he knew like the back of his hand. When Kellin looked back again, he didn’t see anyone so he snuck into another alley to catch his breath.

What the hell? What did he do to deserve this? Kellin leaned against the wall an looked to the sky.

“Was this because I put bubblegum in Kailey’s hair when I was four?” he whispered. “I’m sorry!”

“Who are you saying sorry to?” Kellin pushed himself away from the wall, scared for his life.

“S-stay away from me.” He said weakly.

“Kellin-.”

“No, no, you don’t get to be my friend. I’m leaving.” Kellin ran away again, running down the road that led him home. He ran pass the street that led him home. Once he thought he was good enough far, his phone rang. Looking down, he saw home flash on the screen. “H-ello?”

“My Kellin!” he heard Harper cheer.

“My Harper, what are you doing up right now?”

“Your friends are here!” then with a ‘whisper’ she add, “And Mikey is here too!”

“Where are your brothers?”

“I don’t know.” Kellin heard a voice in the background.

“Who’s that?”

“Your friend! He says he wants to talk to you.”

Kellin let out a shaky breath. “Ok, pass him the phone.”

“Hello there Kellin.”

“Who are you?”

“Didn’t Mikey tell you? I’m his big brother. And from the looks of it, it seems like you’re a big brother too.”

“Don’t touch the kids.” Kellin said.

“That depends on you, my dear. Be here in thirty minuets or your parents will have to put four kids in the ground. Your time starts now.”

Kellin began to panic. He didn’t know how far home he was so he started running back home. His lungs burned, his thighs burn, and his torso hurt. Kellin was in pain but the wellbeing of his siblings kept him moving.

Once he saw his street, he ran up to his house and stopped. The lights were off and the door was wide open. It looked like the beginning scene from a horror movie. He heard nothing come from the house so he slowly walked up to it. This is honestly how people die in movies; they walk up to the suspiciously quiet and dark house only to die from some kind of poltergeist type shit.

But the kids.

So it’s ok that he’s being this stupid.

He walked through the door and stood there, listening for anything. Kellin heard nothing so he continued to walk until he was in the living room. He saw someone standing against the wall.

“Who, who are you?” Kellin said, trying to sound tough.

“Sh.” The person said. “You wouldn’t want to wake up the kids.” It was a man. He pushed himself off the wall. “Mikey never told you he had an older brother did he?” Kellin shook his head as the guy walked closer to him. “That’s probably the only smart thing he’s ever done.”

“What do you want?”

“You, Kellin. Just come with us and no one gets hurt ok?”

“Can I say bye to my siblings then? To make up an excuse.”

Mike’s brother stood there, silently thinking. “Fine. Three minutes.”
Kellin walked up the stairs and into Harper’s room. In there was Mike; sitting on the floor with his head in his hands. “Get away from her.”

“Kellin, I’m-.”

“Get away from her.” Mike stood up and walked towards Kellin. “Don’t touch me.” He moved out of the way, giving Mike the cold shoulder. Kellin walked further into the room and kneeled at the side of the bed. “My Harper.” He whispered as he ran his fingers through her hair. “I love you so much.” He kissed her forehead and walked out of the room then walked into the boys room. Kellin saw Mikes other two friends. “Leave. Please.” They both walked out. Kellin did the same thing to the boys like he did with Harper. Kellin walked to their desk, tearing out a piece of paper from a notebook, to write a message to his parents.

“What are you doing?” Kellin looked up and saw Mike’s brother standing in the doorway.

“I’m writing them a letter.”

“I’ll just have to tear it up.”

“I’m telling them I left on my own will.” He walked up behind Kellin and read what he wrote.

“You’re done. Lets go.” He grabbed Kellin by his forearm and hauled him out into the hallway. “Get going.”

“Don’t fucking touch me.” Kellin said, yanking his arm from his grip. “I know where the exit is.” Kellin walked down the stairs, past the other three men and out the door. He didn’t hear footsteps behind him so he broke into a sprint.

He was almost on the main street when he felt arms wrap around his waist. A piece of cloth was placed on his face, making his screams muffled and his mind groggy. “Sorry Kells. It’s orders.”

*

When Kellin woke up, his head began hurting. He groaned in annoyance, placing his hands over his face. His body felt sore and his mouth felt dry. Kellin carefully moved his hands from his face and sat up. He was in the back of some kind of van, alone. There seemed to be no movement or any signs of life. Quickly, he patted his body, looking for his phone. It had twenty percent left.

He called his older sister, Kailey, but she didn’t answer. Kellin tried again but when she didn’t answer the second time, he left a voicemail.

“You need to get home right now. The kids, they’re alone. Tell everyone I’m sorry.” Kellin rushed. He hung up the phone and looked out the window. It was dark and they seemed to be in a wooded area. The scary movies Kellin has seen came of good use now for his situation. But fuck it all because he needs to leave, now. He quietly touched the door handle, sighing in relief when it opened. “Thank God.”

Kellin slowly walked out and closed the door quietly. He looked around and saw a diner and a few houses; looking behind him, he saw the guys had stopped at a motel. The diner was the place to go then. Kellin sped his way over, checking over his shoulder constantly. When he got inside a teenaged girl sat him near the back, as requested.

“Can I get you anything to eat?” she asked with a smile on her face.

“Is water free?”

“Yes water is free.”

“Then I’ll take that, thank you.” Kellin said with a smile. The girl nodded and walked off, leaving Kellin alone. He was staring at the door intensely, waiting for them to walk through it and take him once again.

“Here you are sir.” She said, startling Kellin. He nodded, taking the glass as she left.

His nerves were setting in his stomach, making his palms sweaty, his blood to flow loudly within his ears, and the need to vomit become intense. Kellin was giving himself thirty minutes before he would start walking and hiding. He had his phone on him but what good would it do? He didn’t know where they were at. It was a good time to use the bathroom though.

When Kellin walked back out, he saw them sitting at his table.

He should’ve ran when he had the chance.

Kellin tried to walk past them but someone gripped his wrist.

“We came over when you texted us Kellin.” Mike’s older brother said. “We passed your car on the way here. C’mon, sit.” Vic got out from the seat with Jaime following him. “Go in first.” Kellin crawled in, pressing himself against the slightly cold and damp window. “Why’d you leave?” he said with false concern laced in his voice.

When Kellin didn’t reply, he pinched his thigh.

“Are you gentlemen ready to order?” the waitress asked. Four of the five men nodded, opening the menus and asking for a first thing they saw. “And for you?” she asked Kellin.

“I’m good, thank you.” Kellin mumbled.

“Are you sure?” Vic asked. “We’re gonna be traveling for quite a bit more time.”

“I’m sure.” Kellin said with tight smile. “I’ll just have water.” He told the waitress. When she left, he turned to look out the window, contemplating whether he should try to bust through the window. Maybe if he pretends like he’s gonna stay for a bit more time, they’ll leave.

“Don’t try to think of a way to leave babe.” He heard Vic whisper in his ear, sending uncomfortable shivers down his spine. “I’m not afraid of killing you.”

That brought tears to Kellin’s eyes. He quickly screwed shut his eyes closed and hung his head down while his hands gripped the seat tightly.

The only way he’d get away from Vic was with a bullet in the head.
♠ ♠ ♠
it seriously didn't need to be this long but it is ^_^

i'm kind of mad that i'm alreay five chapters in and nothing too major has hapened yet.