Status: in the works

Word Girl and the Growing Envy

Chapter 12: Shipping Is So Hard

The next day after school....

Tobey and Becky were walking back to the Botsford residence, laughing and talking amongst each other.

"Oh my gosh, you were so envious when I told you I was going to the dance with Rex." Laughed Becky, thinking back to that day.

"You're just lucky I'm mature enough to not cause a robot rampage when I get upset." Said Tobey, now laughing about how he felt that day, he couldn't believe that just one sentence was enough to make him so upset.

"Yeah, no offense but you were such a brat back then." Becky said, placing a hand on his shoulder.

"Well you can rest assured that, that part of me is dead and gone." Said Tobey, as he reached for her hand, taking it off his shoulder to hang between them and squeezed it. Bob, quickly walked between them to break their hands apart.

"What was that for?" Asked Becky. (It's good to see that you're getting along but don't you think you should start dating before you begin holding hands?) Chirped Bob.

"What did he say?" Asked Tobey, curious to know what Bob just said.

Becky blushed. "He said that we should start dating before we hold hands."

Now Tobey was the one blushing. "I-it was just a playful gesture, no need to get your diaper in a twist about it." Tobey huffed.

(Until you treat her properly, you can't hold her hand)

"Whatever." Tobey murmured, as he walked slightly ahead of Becky and Bob.

"Aww Tobey, don't take what he said so seriously. He's only looking out for me and you know that." Said Becky, speed walking to catch up to him.

"He considers me a threat to you?" Asked Tobey, raising an eyebrow as he clutched his backpack straps with both hands.

"Well...." She blushed again. "He's only teasing, that's all."

Tobey rolled his eyes playfully as he chuckled. "Is his teasing meant to be humerous?"

"Umm." Becky tried to come up with a response. "Oh, hey....isn't that your mom's car?" Asked Becky pointing to her driveway, grateful for this sudden distraction.

"By jove, you're right." Said Tobey.

"I guess that means you're going home today." Said Becky, trying to hide her dissapointment.

"I suppose so." Said Tobey, turning around.

Becky didn't stop in time and she bumped into his chest, and fell to the ground but she accidentally knocked Tobey's glasses off his face.

"Where are my glasses?" Asked Tobey, squinting his eyes.

Becky quickly located them but Bob beat her to the punch and handed them to Tobey before she could.

"Thanks, Bob." Said Tobey, as he put them on his face and reached out his hand for Becky to take.

She would have taken his hand but before he put his glasses back on she was staring at his face, the way his skin looked in the daytime and the way his eyes twinkled.

"Well? Are you going to let me be a gentleman and help you up or are you going to stay on the ground?" Asked Tobey.

Becky decided to just take his hand before he said anything to weird her out.

As Tobey helped her up she couldn't help but enjoy the warmth of his hand.

"Let's go." Said Tobey.

"Yes, let's." Agreed Becky.

When they got inside they were greeted by Tobey's mom.

"Oh, how I missed my baby boy." Said Claire McCallister as she hugged her son and kissed his cheek.

"Mom, you're embarassing me." Muttered Tobey.

Claire broke the hug and turned to face the Botsfords. "Thank you so much for letting Tobey stay here with you while I was away on business."

"No problem Claire. He was a delight to have, always so helpful and responsible."

"I think I like this side of Tobey. Well, we must be going. Are you all packed Tobey?"

"Yes, mother. Let me just go get my suitcase." Tobey walked up the stairs to fetch his suitcase.

While he was gone Claire asked Becky. "He didn't build any robots did he?"

"Just a robot to help with the chores in the yard, nothing big."

"Oh, that's a relief, I was worried that he would resort back to his old ways and build those giant, building crushing robots." Said Claire, placing a hand over her heart.

"I heard that!" Yelled Tobey as he walked down the stairs. "And I truly have changed for the better."

"We're so glad you have." Chimed in Sally Botsford.

"Well, goodbye for now. Thanks again for letting him stay here."

"Bye." Said Tim and Sally. The McCallisters walked out the door and shut it behind them.

Becky watched from the window as they got into their car and drove off, Tobey made eye contact with Becky as they drove off.

"Is something wrong Becky?" Asked Sally Botsford as she noticed how sad her daughter looked now that Tobey left.

"N-nothing is wrong...I guess I'm just going to miss Tobey is all."

"Miss him as a friend or something more?" Sally teased.

"Just as a friend.." Becky blushed. "Anyways, I need to go...do my homework."

Becky walked upstairs to avoid any further interrogation.

Bob was in his hammock, eating a sugar covered donut. As he ate, sugar was covering the floor.

"Do you want ants? Because that's how you get ants." Said Becky, pointing to his sugary mess on the floor.

(I'll clean it up when I'm done) Chirped Bob.

"Ok.." Said Becky, not wanting to start a fight because he really did her a solid the other day when he fought Lady Redundant Woman so that she could eat lunch.

After doing her homework, Becky remembered that she had to do a couple tutoring sessions at the library. When the school year began, Becky volunteered to tutor some of the kids in the younger grades, she mostly tutored them in English, which was her favorite subject. She always got a different student but students who she tutored before always asked for her when they had trouble with something.

When Becky got to the library, she was surprised to see that she would be tutoring Jackie.

"Hello, what do you need help with?" Asked Becky, being polite as she sat down next to her.

"I need help with my vocabulary homework." Said Jackie, pushing up her glasses.

Becky didn't want to be rude and tell her to just use a dictionary or the internet so she decided to just help her.

"What's the assignment?" Asked Becky.

"The assignment is to create a crossword puzzle, using the vocabulary words." Said Jackie.

"What are the words?" Asked Becky.

Jackie handed her a list with 20 different words.

"This seems easy enough." Said Becky.

"It is, but when coming up with the clues, I need help with the definitions and you're good with that." Said Jackie.

"Oh.....thanks?" Said Becky, not knowing what else to say.

Becky read over the list, the words were: Dysania, Nibling, Griffonage, Paresthesia, Philtrum, Minimus, Zarf, Agraffe, Punt, Ferrule, Aglet, Overmorrow, Nurdle, Phosphenes, Peen, Tines, Natiform, Glabella, Vagitus, and Wamble.

A/N I would have listed all those words with their definitions but I felt like that would have been a really boring scene and the story needs to move forward.

With Becky's help, Jackie was able to do that assignment and get the rest of her homework done. By the time they got done, it was around dinner time.

Becky lived closer to the library so she offered to walk Jackie home, to be nice. Becky knew that she could just fly home afterwards.

"Thanks for walking me home, Becky." Said Jackie.

"No problem." Said Becky. "See you at school tomorrow."

"Yeah, will you be attending my party?"

"Yes." Said Becky. "Well, bye." Before Becky could turn around to go home, Jackie's door opened and out came a man who Becky assumed was her father.

"Hello, it is nice to meet a friend of Jackie's." He said reaching out his hand for her to shake. Becky shook it.

"Nice to meet you sir, my name is Becky Botsford and Jackie is in some of my classes, I was just helping her on homework."

"Ah, how nice of you to help. Would you like to stay for dinner?"

"Let me just call my mom."

After a short phone call later, Becky was inside and eating dinner with Jackie and her dad.

"Sorry if we only have take out, it was kind of last minute."

"It's ok." Said Becky. "You have a lovely house."

Jackie's father was thrilled that she was making female friends.

Afterwards, Becky politely said goodbye and zoomed off home.

At the Botsford residence....

As soon as she came home, Becky had some chored to do like laundry and cleaning her room. As she cleaned her room, Becky found a photograph under her bed, it was a picture of her and Tobey. They were smiling and hugging each other tightly. This was a time when the Botsfords and the McCallisters went to the beach together, it was a good day, burying Bob in the sand and building sandcastles with TJ. They went into the water for a bit, but Becky had to hold Tobey's hand because he was scared of getting swept away. Thinking back now, Becky liked the feeling of her hand in his. Becky's mom had taken the picture while they were hugging each other because, Tobey had convinced Becky to be scared of getting swept away but once they both realized that that was something silly to be scared over they began laughing and hugging each other. Becky had made a copy of that photo and gave it to Tobey who placed it into a picture frame that now hung on his wall.

Bob looked over at Becky who sighed like a girl in love..Wait..girl in love? Uh oh.. Was Becky..in love with Tobey? No..it couldn't be. Bob knew that she liked him, but could it be love?

TO BE CONTINUED...