Status: Okay so, this is going to be chaptered, I will update this as much as I can but it rely's on your guy's comments!!

Fake It 'Til You Make It

ONE

It was a dark November afternoon, the sun already setting in the sky; it’s last bright, orange glow illuminating the Baltimore skyline. The weather was cold, the sky damp with the threat of rain and the night ever dooming closer. Just your typical rainy, winters afternoon.

Alex was pacing his living room, his thumb brought to his mouth as he absently chewed at his nail. Where was Jack? He promised he would be here by now; his parents were due to be arriving any second now and the light brown-haired male felt like he was going to throw up. Alex removed his thumb away from his mouth to check his phone for any texts from the missing male. Alex swallowed down the acid he felt bubbling his throat when he heard the doorbell ring at the front of his apartment.

That better be Jack, Alex didn’t think he could cope with his parents alone right now. Not after the plan he had hatched in his mind. He had to make sure that this all ran smoothly, he did not need Jack messing this plan up before it even had a chance to hatch properly.

Shakily, Alex opened the door to his apartment and as if the God’s above answered Alex’s prayers it was his friend. Alex could have kissed the taller male, he was just so relieved to see the scruffy-dressed male. Alex took note of Jack’s dress code and mentally rolled his eyes at his appearance.

Jack was wearing tight black jeans, the knees worn out and threadbare, covering his torso was a white low v-neck with a red pocket stitched over one side of his chest and he was also wearing an old scruffy leather jacket. Considering the circumstances, Alex just assumed he would have dressed a little smarter. Not that Alex actually cared, he just assumed.

“I didn’t think you were going to turn up,” Alex breathed, his nerves settling as Jack dumped his small suitcase by the door when he walked into the apartment.

“Yeah, sorry, traffic was bad. When are they due to arrive? Isn’t it soon?” Jack asked, shrugging off his jacket, dumping it on the rack and making himself at home, his shoes being discarded and forgotten aside Alex’s many pairs of sneakers and boots.

Alex glanced at his watch and his stomach flipped, “Exactly ten minutes until they should be arriving.” Alex followed Jack around his apartment until they both reached the kitchen where they stood around the island counter. “So you know the plan, yeah? My parents are here for a week, they spoke about maybe staying for two but I think I managed to convince them otherwise. You’re my boyfriend, as far as they know. We’ve been together for three months, blah, blah, blah. You know what needs to happen.” Alex said, his words rushed as his heart raced. He knew this was risky but he had to try and at least fool his parents.

“‘Lex, it’s fine, we’ve got this. We’ve been friends for a couple years now, it’s not that weird, I guess?!” Jack chuckled, patting his friend’s shoulder reassuringly. “We spend most of our time together, we’re practically joined at the hip. This is gonna be fine, I promise!”

That’s when the doorbell rang once more, the sound seeming to last longer than before. Alex felt the acid burn rise in his throat again, his palms went sweaty and he felt like he was going to pass out. This was too much for him, this was ridiculous, this was possibly the worst plan Alex had ever come up with and believe him, he had a whole load of bad plans.

Two weeks earlier:

“Jack, please! I have no one else to ask and my parents kind of know you. I can’t just hire someone for this!” Alex pouted, pausing their round of Call of Duty to look at the younger male.

“You know I’ll help you with anything you need but, ‘Lex, come on this is a little weird. You know I love you, like a brother and all that but I’m not gay and, I mean this with the greatest of respect, I don’t know if I could just ask gay.” Jack spoke, his eyebrows furrowing together in a frown as he thought about the plan.

“We’ve kissed before,” Alex stated.

“When we were drunk and they were innocent pecks, this has to be believable and I don’t know if I can just play along with it.” Jack replied quickly, trying to defuse the situation before it got any further.

“Jack,” Alex placed a gentle hand on Jack’s forearm and squeezed it gently. “I am begging here, you know I would never ask unless I was desperate. Please. Please just do this one big thing for me and I will never ask for another thing ever again. We don’t have to be overly touchy-feely either, my parents know I’m awkward like that!” Alex was pleading, he was desperate and he knew this was the only logical way around the issue and even then, this plan was hardly logical.

“Eh, Alex, I don’t know…” Jack whined, his voice reluctant. “I just,” He sighed, “I just don’t get why you don’t tell them the truth?”

“Jack, you know why I don’t just tell them the truth. My parents pay for this very nice apartment, one that I’m meant to be sharing with my boyfriend who they’re very excited to meet. I don’t get their logic behind it either, okay but here I am begging you to play-pretend my boyfriend for one week.” Alex mumbled, he didn’t understand why this was such a big deal for Jack. Sure, it was a weird request but it wasn’t ludicrously bad. “Look, I accidentally told my parents I had a boyfriend for a while now and I didn’t want to jinx it because I was superstitious and that’s when they said they just had to flight out to meet him… Meet you. They would be so mad if they found out I lied to them, you know what I've told you about them. They’re pushy and over protective. It’s just one week, please Jack?” Alex begged, his hands folding together in front of himself in a prayer motion as he talked.

“I hate you so much, but fine. You so owe me for this. You can start by ordering us a pizza, finishing this round of Call of Duty and grabbing me a beer!” Jack grinned, turning back to the TV.

****

“Alex, dude…” Jack said, pulling the older male from his thoughts once more. “Come on, we’ve gotta go answer the door. Lets do this.” He took Alex’s hand in his, put on his best smile and all but pulled Alex towards his front door.

Alex looked at Jack who simply just squeezed his best friend’s hand and smiled when Alex pulled the door open to reveal the older, smiling couple in front of them. Alex did not have a chance to say a word before he was being pulled into a bone-crushing hug by his mother, shortly followed by his father.

“Well, now, this must be your boyfriend, Jack!” Isobel said, grinning as she pushed past her son to inspect his boyfriend a little more closely. “It’s so lovely to meet you dear, I’ve heard so much about you!” This time it was Jack’s turn, Isobel was pulling Jack into a tight hug, the dark haired male almost yelped when she gave him a squeeze.

“Mr & Mrs Gaskarth, it’s a pleasure to meet you both…” Jack spoke and gave Peter a firm handshake before letting his arm drape around Alex’s shoulders casually. “I’m Jack, Alex’s boyfriend.” He announced, his voice confident with maybe a little bit of pride?

“Son, please, call me Peter, and I’m sure as Alex has told you, this is my wife, Isobel!” Peter announced, giving the two males a smile.

“Alex, baby,” Jack said lovingly, hoping his act was believable rather than sickly. “How about you take your parents luggage to our guest room and I go make us all coffee and some tea?” Jack smiled and kissed Alex’s cheek.

Alex just blushed, shut the door behind them all and picked up their luggage to take it to their guest room. Alex couldn’t help but think about how natural this all felt. Maybe this week would be easier than he thought after all. Jack was his best friend, they were just being a little friendlier than usual. That’s all. Nothing out of the ordinary. Or so Alex thought.
♠ ♠ ♠
So this is just something to kick it off, set up the scene a little; I hope it isn't too bad for everyone and I SWEAR... It will get better from here! I just wanted to paint out a small picture to start off with. Not sure how long this fic will be and how often I'll update but if I get some good feedback I'm sure I'll continue swiftly :-) x