Sparks |Levi Ackerman Werewolf AU|

Do you regret anything?

Working the next day wasn’t all that bad. In fact, it was great to get back into the swing of things. I didn’t have to feel so useless wondering around like a bum. I was doing something for myself, though not the dream, but it’s something.

“The beta loves your tea. I gave him a cup of the batch you made. He can be very picky sometimes so that’s saying something.” Petra said with a smile as she placed a mixed berry muffin down in front of me on the table as I was taking my break after the early morning rush. I nearly froze in shock. Someone else from the pack was sniffing around here? The beta even?!

“Does he know?” I asked hesitantly.

“I think he suspects something. He caught your scent last night while I was getting ready to close up. It’s what he always does; grabs a quick cup of tea and that’s it.”

“And you’re not worried about this?” She shook her head.

“Not in the slightest.” She smiled wide giving me some relief, until it quickly dropped. “Though…everyone else would have the exact opposite answer for you.” And that relief was just washed away. Sounds like this beta could be worse than the alpha. I pushed the muffin back towards her, not in the mood for eating anymore.

“You eat it, I lost my appetite.” Petra’s look had fallen.

“Are you sick?”

“Something like that.” I grumbled, my head resting in my arms that were now crossed on top of the table.

“Don’t overthink this too much. Alpha Erwin has accepted an outcast before and to be honest you’re a lot nicer. I don’t see why he wouldn’t take you into the pack.” If only she really knew, she probably wouldn’t be saying such a thing. “Besides, Levi comes around closing time and you’ll be gone by then.” Levi? That’s the beta’s name who I have to worry about? “So come on, cheer up! Being a part of the pack wouldn’t be such a bad idea so why wait? Don’t you want a pack?”

More than anything…it’s just not that simple for me.

***

It was 4 o’clock, the end of my shift and Krista would be taking my place for the rest of the night. I was just cleaning some dishes real quick before I’d head out when I heard a commotion going on out front.

“You lied Petra. Deliberately disobeyed an order.” Came a voice so striking and cold it chilled my bones.

“W-what are you talking about Levi?” LEVI?! The beta?! Oh shit, I was not ready for this. I quickly dry my hands and place the apron on the nearby hanger.

I need to get out of here and fast.

“You know damn well what I’m talking about, Ral I’m not an idiot. Where the hell is she?” My keen ears could hear a growl rising from within his words. There was silence from Petra’s end. I knew she was struggling to answer for someone higher up but at the same time not wanting to give me up. But I wasn’t about to stick around to find out what would happen. I ran out the back door and didn’t dare look back.

***

After the few miles I ran and many confused stares by civilians the motel had finally come into view. I kicked it into high gear as I thought of the possibility of safety just within my grasp.

“AH!” I yelped in pain when I was suddenly grabbed roughly by the arm and shoved up against a brick wall in an alley. A strong hand instantaneously clasped around my neck in a firm, but not deadly, grip. An intoxicating aroma of sandalwood and amber rushed over me, tickling my senses and sending chills up and down by body. I looked into the stunning grey-blue that glared down at me hard as my ‘attacker’ panted to catch his breath; his black hair swaying with each deep breath he took. “Is this how you greet all the women you meet for the first time? Or am I just special?” I cracked a little smile, trying to lighten the mood but he wasn’t having it. Instead, his hand only gripped tighter, nearly cutting off my air supply.

“What are you doing here brat? You have no permission.” He growled lowly, choosing to ignore the little comment question I gave.

“As far as I’m concerned I’m free to do as I please. I’m not hurting anyone so why make a big fuss about it? Come one, how many rogues have you come across that were female? None, that’s what I thought.” He pressed me up against the bricks even harder and I hissed as the rigged surface scrapped against my back.

“There’s always a first for everything.” I sighed, but it came out more as a small cough.

“Do I even look like a blood thirsty, heartless killer with absolutely no morals?”

“Devil in disguise.” I rolled my eyes.

“I get it. You’re trying to help protect your pack. No one understands that better than I so-”

“Then why did you run? Are you guilty?” He cut me off.

“One, you practically threatened my friend for starters. Two, I clearly don’t belong here. And three, a beta is out to get me. Sound reasonable?”

“Tch.”

“I’ll take that as a yes. Now would you kindly let me go? I’m starting to find it hard to breath.”

“And if I don’t?” I looked into the hard eyes of Levi. Searching them as he was searching mine.

“Do you regret anything Levi?” The question appeared to have caught him off guard but as soon as it was there it was gone. He composed himself, refusing to appear vulnerable under my thoughtful gaze. Refusing to believe I had gotten to him.

“What the hell kind of question is that?”

“An honest one. I want to know…if you regret anything.” There was a long, agonizing pause. I could see the wheels turning in his head, his eyes flickering back and forth between mine in a calculating manner; reading me once more. But I stood firm for an answer and waited patiently for an answer, not allowing his intimidation to get the best of me. And he saw that.

“No matter what kind of wisdom dictates you the option you should pick, no one will be able to tell if it’s right or wrong till you arrive to some sort of outcome resulting from your choice. The only thing we are allowed to do is to believe that we won’t regret the choice we made.” Again, he paused. A look had crossed his face. One that was familiar to me. Broken, hurt, pained and oddly…acceptance – something I feel I may be lacking. That rare look had quickly vanished though only to be replaced with that strong stoic expression of his. “There is nothing I regret.” He said in heartfelt, determined confidence before turning away to leave with his head held high.

I watched, relieved that he had decided not to turn me in. Why? I didn’t know but I wasn’t about to complain. For now, my heart can beat easy.

“Thank you.” I called out to him softly. He stopped but never turned.

“Tch, for what?”

“For making sense.”

*~No one’s POV~*
Levi wasn’t 100% sure why he decided to leave the she-wolf be and not take her to the alpha. He was knowingly breaking the rules just like Petra. But it’s not like he hasn’t done that before and in all honesty he cared not. The second she asked if he regretted anything he knew something had changed in her.

She had unwillingly, if only for a moment, let that tough exterior down; letting those defensive walls fall, to be vulnerable if only for a short time. And to him of all people nonetheless.

When he gazed into the mysterious depths of those glistening hazel eyes, breaking through the barrier as he concentrated, he say a quick little glimpse into her soul. What he saw intrigued him, got him curious. She was hiding something. Something…painful. Something she regrets perhaps? Something she hasn’t come to terms with? But what?

He decided for the time being he’d keep an eye on her just to make sure whatever skeletons she was hiding in her closet would not come out to play.