‹ Prequel: Once a Hero
Status: Comments make updates coms faster!

Always a Hero

My Family

Another week has passed since I buried my daughter at Arlington National Cemetery. The day after Jayla's funeral, I went back to work while my mom went home. This week just hasn't been the best for me but I put on a brave face to show I could handle coming back to work so soon. I guess I'm fooling everyone. I mean except for Gibbs. I think he can see that the cases we've handled hasn't been easy for me in the least. Of course it did help a little bit knowing that the families have closure but my mind just isn't right where it's supposed to be. I think Abby is right.

For the past 2 days I've been contemplating what I should and I think I've finally made up my mind. Everyone, except for Gibbs and the Director, has gone home for the night so I stood up from my desk and made the short trip upstairs to his office. I need to see him before he leaves. I knocked on the door to his office before going in.

"Director, do you have a moment?" I asked.

"Sure. What can I do for you Agent Carrington?"

"I'd like to request a few weeks off sir. I mean if that's possible." I said as I stood in front of his desk.

"I was wondering when you were going to ask. How long do you need?"

"3 weeks sir." I said.

"I'll arrange it but if you need more than that just call me."

"Thank you sir." I said nodding. I reached into my pocket and pulled out a sticky note before handing it to him.

"If you should need me. This is where I'll be." He glanced at the small note and nodded before I left his office. I got back to my desk and gathered up my things much to the delight of Tsunami and Jethro. I dug through my pockets again and places a note I had been carrying around for the past 2 days and places it on Gibbs' desk.

"Let's go home boys." I said to my companions. We went over to the elevator just before the doors closed and got on. As the doors closed in front of us, I watched the squad room disappear knowing that when I come back my head will be in focus.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~Gibbs POV~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


I watched Blayke place something on my desk before disappearing behind the elevator doors with Tsunami and Jethro. I went over to my desk to get my things to go home but I picked up the note and began to read.

Gibbs,

It's taken me a while but I think I need a break for this place. I've already cleared my time off with Director Vance. I think I just need a few weeks to get my head back in the game. I know I've been a torn in your side and a pain in your ass these last few months but I really like it here in Washington DC and being on your team. I hope we can get past all the bullshit I put the team through and start fresh when I come back. At the beginning, when I first arrived here, I wanted to tell you all about Jayla. You all could've helped me find her so much faster than anyone I've known. At the bottom of the page I left you some directions on how to find me if you need me since where I'm going there ain't any cell phone reception. I think getting back to my roots will put my head back where it needs to be. I am coming back but I just don't know when. When I do come back from leave, I hope you consider me to be a full member of your team. It would be such an honor. Jayla would've loved to know you and the team if she were alive today. I consider you all my partners, including Ducky, Jimmy, and Abby, and my friends but most importantly...my family.

Blayke Carrington


I smile sprung to my face as I finished reading and folded the paper up putting it into my pocket. She was a hard person to deal with when she first came onto this team but she has proved herself to be a worthy asset to my team. Hell she proved herself worthy of being on my team when I first read her file. Captain Blayke Carrington will always be considered a member of my team until she no longer wants to be. My team is just more than a team...they're my family.
♠ ♠ ♠
THE END!

I hope you all enjoyed this story! I'll have the next story up and running in a few days so please be on the lookout for the next installment of this series called A Soldier's Love Never Dies

Thank you to all of the people who commented on this story! Your comments are very much appreciated and welcomed!