Status: Complete

Runaway

6

It had been over seven hours and not one person seemed to really fit, they were either too inexperienced or they seemed too cocky. And that wasn't the type of person we wanted in our band, even if they were just going to fill in for a couple of tours and then go on their way.

“I'm sending in the last guy, don't be too hard on him okay?” Larry had a smile on his face that worried me, it wasn't going to be another kid was it?

And it wasn't, it was Brooks from Bad Religion. I felt my jaw drop open suddenly, he was going to audition for our band? I had to be dreaming. He sat down and played whatever Brian asked him too, and damn if he didn't do it really well. There was no way we could pick anyone else, he was going to be an honorary member of Avenged Sevenfold.

~~~~~~

“Baby, relax please” Brian was currently giving me a back massage and I couldn't help but twitch and groan every time he was able to get a knot out of my back.
“You and your damn magic fingers I swear” I groaned loud as Brian massaged deeper into a particular tight knot. I had that one since I was living on the street.
“God, I was working on that same knot since last time, are you sure your back isn't too fucked up?” Brian scooted down and smoothed his hands up from my lower back to my shoulders. I could've damn well came from that alone.
“Not anymore” I mumbled as my grip on the couch loosened, he could knock me out cold if he wanted to and there was nothing I'd be able to do about it.
“Hey, I have something I want to give to you” Brian stood up and ran down to our bedroom, he wasn't normally someone to give gifts out of the blue.

I sat up and relaxed into the cushions, he really was a miracle worker.

“Close your eyes” Brian had his hands held tightly behind his back, a small smile gracing his lips.

I rolled my eyes before I closed them, holding out my hands nervously. He sat down next to me and placed something small into my hand. I opened my eyes slowly and gasped softly, it held a ring. Nothing to showy or over the top, a simple band.

“I know we haven't really been together for a while, but it just felt so right” Brian took the ring and held my hand, I could feel the sweat from his.
“Matt, will you marry me?” He looked absolutely terrified, as if I could ever say no to him.
“Yes, of course” I smiled and kissed him as he sat there stunned, his arms wrapping tightly around my neck as we kissed on the couch.

I could definitely get used to this forever.

“Hey assholes” Zack walked in with Johnny by his side and raised an eyebrow as we tried to quickly detangle ourselves. Just because they knew we were together doesn't mean we need an audience.
“Seriously? Do you always feel the need to barge in unannounced?” Brian slipped the ring onto my finger without either of them seeing it. It deserved to be a surprise.
“Considering you two fuck more than most rabbits, yes I do” Zack smirked and chuckled as Brian flipped him off and sighed. The sex could wait til later, I'd make it up to him.

~~~~~

We spent the day drinking and sharing our favorite stories about Jimmy, there were still tears but they weren't always sad. Zack still had some of his things in his house, as a reminder of who Jimmy once was. Brian laid his head against my shoulder and smiled, the ring on my finger kept catching my eye.

“Brian and I got engaged” I blurted out, I was never really good at keeping secrets.
“Damn, that was fast” Johnny smacked the back of Zack's head and muttered something too low for Brian or I to hear. Were we rushing into it? Or was I just being my paranoid self?
“Congrats you guys, I know you're really happy together” Johnny finished his beer and set the bottle down, keeping his eyes on Zack.
“Yeah, congrats guys” Zack held his glass up as a way to cheers us.

Our tour was beginning to creep up on us and I wasn't sure how to truly feel about it, on one hand I was excited to go out and see the fans. On the other hand I was terrified of being booed off the stage and seeing more angry fans than happy ones. Our fans were like family, they'd forgive us even if we felt as if we didn't deserve it. I could feel Brian's fingers slowly trail along my shoulders, it felt great knowing I would have the love of my life by my side through all of it. Of course we weren't going to tell our fans right away about our relationship, we didn't feel it was necessary. I noticed Zack staring at me, was he trying to talk to me and I hadn't noticed?

“Brian should've moved on when you didn't show up” Zack's eyes were cold, anger across his features.
“Zack!” Johnny yelled as he stood up and roughly gripped Zack's arm.
“He waited for you for months, and you never fucking showed up. He deserves someone who isn't going to abandon him when he needs them most” Zack stood up and pulled his arm from Johnny's grip before he walked out of the house, slamming the door as he did.

Johnny yelled a quick sorry as he ran after Zack. Brian and I stayed silent as we both stared at the door. Zack was right though, Brian deserved way better than me. He deserved someone who would love him unconditionally and help him through hard times instead of running away and hiding.

“Please don't listen to him, I can't lose you again Matt” Brian held my hands tight as he looked at me. Tears were slowly streaming down his cheeks, I was a shitty friend, and I was turning into an even shittier fiance.
“He's right Brian, you really do deserve better” I looked up at him slowly and frowned, his hands held my face tight.
“I love you damnit! I don't want anyone else but you!” He was pleading with me at this point.
“I'm not going to leave Brian, I promise” I held my hands over his and frowned, I'd just have to put some distance between Zack and I for now. At least until the tour started.

I didn't need to prove to him I wasn't going to hurt Brian, I hurt him before I was even back around. I just needed to prove to myself that I was going to be good enough for Brian. And that wasn't going to be easy. We still had to break the news to our friends that we were together, and engaged.

“I'd wait by my phone for hours on end, hoping you were going to call or even send a text” Brian had laid himself against me, his hands balled into fists. I opened my mouth to speak but thought better to let him get it all out.
“Zack said I was crazy, why should I wait for someone that disappeared without a trace? Why should I have feelings for this person?” He stopped and chuckled softly, loosening his hands.
“But then we saw you, and it was like none of it ever mattered, granted you looked and smelled absolutely horrible but you were still you. Still the same Matt that would put me in a headlock if I tried to be a smartass and call you an asshole.” He stopped and narrowed his eyes slightly, as if he was struggling to find his words.
“After Jimmy passed away I vowed to not let life hold me back, Michelle didn't like that one bit. She got mad at how much I was drinking and going out with Zack and Johnny. How much I was worrying about you, she was actually the one who figured out my feelings were deeper” Brian pushed himself up and locked eyes with my own, the deep chocolate seemed to be glowing in the soft light from the sun. God how could I be so blind?
“I can't even imagine where we'd be if we hadn't of found you that day, I know I wouldn't of found someone else. Zack insisted I did but when I refused he got angry, it's my life and I'll live it the way I please” I smiled softly and kissed him.

I wasn't trying to shut him up, I was falling more in love than I thought possible. Sure we had been friends for years but this was different. I was seeing a side of him I hadn't seen in years. I was seeing the broken shell of a man he was when we lost Jimmy. And yet, I didn't think I could love him anymore than I did. We knew everything about each other and none of it mattered. What mattered was seeing him become happy.

“I love you Brian, and I want you to know nothing Zack, or Johnny say will ever change my mind” I wiped his cheeks and pressed my forehead against his. His breathing had slowed slightly to prevent anymore sobs.
“I love you too Matt, more than anything in this world” Brian chuckled softly and wrapped his arms around my neck.

I pulled him flush against my chest and laid down on the couch, as much as I would love engagement sex we needed to take the time and just relax together. We were always worrying about something, whether it be the tour or how fans were going to react to seeing us together. It was time for us to just take a few minutes and not let any of it bother us. Just enjoy each other and remember who we were.
♠ ♠ ♠
let me know what you guys think!