Kiss

Anything but the truth

''Hummingbird, wake up'', someone whispers to me. I turn my head away.
''Oh that's just cruel. Tempting me like that in my own bed'', I hear and finger travels on my neck. Well, that wakes me up. I open my eyes and almost jump out if the bed. It takes little time to understand what's going on. Then I remember where I am and why.
''Oh quit it'', I say to Sebastian and push his hand from my neck.
''Someone's not a morning person'', he says. I rub my face.
''Got that right'', I say and try to adjust my eyes to light coming from the room. We are crammed on the bed and I just realize it. He is so big, he takes almost half of the bed. He is so near that I blush. Smile creeps to his face making me blush even more.
''Come on. I make you something to eat'', he says and pats my thigh. My whole body is set on fire. Still lingering memories of his kiss fill my head. He crawls from the bed and jumps down. I let the air out I was holding in. I take my hoodie and put it on. I take fast body check. I'm still hurting from multiple places but it's tolerable. Then I crawl where Sebastian jumped down. I put my feet over the bed and let them dangle. I'm high above the ground. Sebastian turns and extends his arms to take me. I want to hesitate but I don't. I bend down to take a hold of his shoulders and he lifts me down. I look back at bed.
''How in the hell do you get there?'', I ask.
''Just lift myself'', he says and turns to me. I lift my hand to test how high it really is. I can barely touch the edge of the bed. I couldn't do it. Still I nod to him and turn to look him. He watches me a moment and then his expression changes. He drags me to light and I blink my eyes from harsh light. What the hell? He takes a hold of my chin and turns my head.
''What the fuck is that?'', he asks. He touches my cheek and I flinch. I know now that there is bruise. Shit.
''Where did you get that?'', he asks and he seems furious, ''Did that dipshit hit you?''
''I..No, no he didn't. I fell yesterday and hit my cheek'', it's not really a lie. I did fall. Beth just little assisted me. I cover my cheek with my hand.
''How? Where?'', he asks. He is examining my face with furious look on his face. Why the hell is he so mad? It makes me nervous. I try to think hard the places I was yesterday.
''When I was coming to Odell I fell on the way and hit my cheek'', I say quickly. I back away little but he follows. I feel cornered. I glance the door that is ajar. I want to run. This isn't conversation I want to have with Sebastian Novak.
''To what?'', he asks in disbelief. He steps closer and takes hold of my chin. He is staring the bruise. Blue eyes watching. My heart hits my rip cage like it too wants to escape. Well, you and me both, buddy.
''Garden gnome.'' Whaaat? Where did that come from? Garden gnome? Seriously? I'm better liar than that. Yes, it was possible but very unlike to fall and hit cheek to gnome. I break loose of his hold and back up. He looks livid. He can see the lie in my eyes.
''You're lying'', he accuses. I back up as fast as I can. My heart is pounding. My dads words echos in my ears; nobody can know. I turn and run all the way out. I don't mind the rocks that stabs my soles. Near the first car on the driveway he catches me up. I scream when he lifts me from the waist. He puts me on top of the car.
''Where did that bruise come from?'', he yells at me and slams his hands on the roof. I back up on the roof. ''Tell me. Did I do it?''
''No, no. I swear I just fell'', I say. He can't know.
''Don't lie to me'', he says and pulls me back to him from my ankle. I slip from edge and he catches me and lifts me back on the hood. My hoodie climbs up when he lifts me. I know there too is bruises. I try to push it down fast but not after he sees a peek of them.
''What the fuck?'', he says and looks stunned. He tries to catch me but this time I'm faster. I push other side and jump down. I start running. To my horror I find myself running back to house. I run through the deck and it ends in dead end. There is little pond I could jump but I'm too slow. Sebastian catches me up and pushes me to wall. He lifts the hem of my hoodie and shirt exposing my old and new bruises. I scream and try to push him away. He lets the hem fall. I wrap my arms around me. I'm shaking and I can't help the tears that start falling. I lower my gaze to floor. I feel exposed and vulnerable. Sebastian is breathing hard. He takes me in his arms.
''Shhh. It's okay. I'm sorry. Shhh'', he says and strokes my hair. He keeps me there until my tears run out. Then he gently puts me to sit on one of the many chairs on the deck. He crouches in front of me. He put his hands on my knees. He rubs them gently. I don’t know if it’s to sooth him or me. He looks really shaken from what he has seen. They usually look worse than they are.
''Please Poppy tell me who has hurt you'', he says with low voice. I pull my sleeves over my hands and squeeze cuffs in my hands. I feel cold even when the sun is shining through the threes. I don't look Sebastian. I shake my head to him.
''Should I ask Sean?'', he ask. I gaze him annoyed. Trying to blackmail me to tell.
''He knows nothing'', I say venomously. Sebastian rubs his face. He is trying to get his rage on check. His breathing has still turned labored.
''I'm asking really nicely. Please, tell me who made you those bruises'', he says slowly. There is something really hostile in his voice. I'm shaking inside.
''I can't'', I tell quietly. I know next thing that comes out of my mouth will get him over the edge. ''It's not really your business. So, forget it. We aren't mates or anything.'' He gets up and points me.
''Don't you fucking throw that thing in my face'', he yells and throws garden chair in the pond. It makes me flinch when it hits the water. I try to calm my breathing. He's not gonna hurt me.
''You're not going anywhere before you tell me'', he says to me. I get up.
''You can't keep me here'', I say to him. He laughs at me.
''Wanna bet that?'', he says. Is he serious? We stare each others. He looks serious.
''Fine'', I say and sit back down. He can't make me tell. I cross my arms and close my mouth. He watches me closely. He paces in front of me long time. His brothers comes check him time to time but he just yells them to go away.

Night starts to fall and I yarn. Sebastian jumps on the pond and retrieve the chair he threw in there.
''Ready to quit?'', I ask.
''Who hurt you?'', he asks. I watch him straight to eyes.
''You're wasting your time'', I tell him. He comes to me dripping water. He leans over me. Every cold drop makes me flinch.
''When you tell me who has done those marks, all this time is worth it'', he says, ''It's you who is wasting time''. I’m little confused about his words but decide to think them through later. He steps away from me.
''No, I'm not. I have nowhere to be. You remember that I have no boyfriend to occupy my time. So, I'm free. And it's quite nice here. You have really beautiful house. These woods are just wonderful'', I say. He sits next to me.
''We made it with our father'', he tells me. I look around.
''Seriously? Well you have done fine job'', I compliment.
''Yeah, it's nice'', he says like he really couldn’t care less.
''Your father must be really proud of it and you guys'', I say.
''Don't know. He never saw the house ready. He has been in the prison past six years'', he tells me. I feel embarrassed. I don't know too much about them.
''Sorry'', I say and decide to keep quiet.
''It's fine. It's not like we have been so straight and narrow ourself'', he says. I smile.
''I have only heard the stories'', I say. My silence didn't last long. He smiles.
''I bet you have'', he says. We are silent. Both lost in thoughts. Do I want to know the real Sebastian? It’s not like I have asked too many questions. I really don’t know anything about him except what he just told me.
‘’So, you have superpower not to have hangover?’’, I ask. He starts to laugh, hard. I turn slowly to watch him.
‘’It’s not that funny’’, I tell him.
‘’Yes, I Sebastian Malcolm Novak have a superpower to not have hangover like the rest of you peasants’’, he tells me, ‘’No, I had terrible hangover like tree hours ago but then I ate and drank water. So I’m little pit better now’’.
‘’Why didn’t you wake me up?’’, I ask.
‘’Why would I? You were sleeping’’, he says to me like it would be absurd. I lean to my knees.

''Let's go in. I'm hungry'', he says. We go in. Crash and Mason is having a food fight. I sit in the tall bar stool. Sebastian goes to refrigerator. Mason and Crash stops and turns to us.
''So, what you kids have been doing?'', Crash asks. Sebastian don't even acknowledged them. He just keeps looking in the refrigerator. Mason lifts his brows.
''Okay'', Mason says and turns to me. He points his cheek.
''You have something on there'', he says to me. Crash jumps to me and touches it. I pull my head away.
''Don't touch her'', Sebastian growls to Crash. He has turned to us. Crash lifts his hands.
''Somebody's cranky'', Crash says and sits next to me.
''How was rest of your night?'', I ask Crash and Mason. Mason smiles.
''Uneventful'', Mason says, ''How was your night?''
''Fine. He didn't break anything. And I'm in one piece too'', I say. Sebastian makes noises. I turn to look at him.
''Good, good'', Mason says.
''What was with the running earlier?'', Crash asks.
''Nothing really'', I say. They all turn to look at me. ''We had a little disagreement'', I say slower. Mason and Crash look each others and then to Sebastian.
''Bass?'', Mason asks. Sebastian keeps making food.
''I haven't done anything to her. She's in the same condition that she was last night'', he says tightly. Mason and Crash exchange looks.
''Do you have guestroom in here?'', I ask from Crash. He burrows his browns.
''Yes, why'', he answers. Sebastian places plate of food in front of me.
''You don't need one. Your staying in my room'', Sebastian says.
''No, I'm not. You can keep me here but I am not staying in the same room'', I say and push the plate away.
''Yes, you are'', he tells me.
''Can't you just drop it?'', I ask and get up. I walk back outside. I'm so tired. All that happened yesterday and day after. I take my hoodie off because it's too hot. I look back. In the windows I see that the brothers are arguing about something. I can't hear anything but I see they are yelling. It must be soundproof or something. I walk to rail and look the bond. I hear footsteps but I don't turn. There is light touch on my back, still I don't turn.
''Come on hummingbird. I take you home'', Sebastian says. I turn to look him. He looks serious.
''You're serious'', I state. He huffs.
''Yeah'', he says and lights cigarette. I turn to fully to him but lean on the rail.
''What changed your mind?'', I ask. He looks me in disbelieve.
''I give you chance to get home and you're asking questions?'', he says to me in scolding.
''I just want to understand why'', I tell him.
''Crash made me understand that I can't get anything out of you by forcing you'', he says nonchalantly.
''Well, this is surprising'', I say and walk past him,’’So, you told them?’’
‘’I told them that there is a thing I need to know and you are not telling me’’, he says. He is not following me.
''So, are you gonna get me home?'', I say and I turn to look at Sebastian. He takes my hoodie from the chair where I left it. He puts the cigarette out and walks to me. He puts his arms on my shoulders and walks me to his car. I climb in and he drives me to the threes. We say goodbyes and I leave.
♠ ♠ ♠
comments?