Sequel: Battle Symphony
Status: This story is complete! If you liked it, be sure and read the next installment! (Coming soon)

Breaking the Habit

It's Gonna Get Worse Before It Gets Better.

-Michelle-
I was standing next to the car when they finally came out, and I could hear them arguing.
“She doesn’t fucking love you. She never will, because she loves me.” Chester said.
“She may not love me, but she damn sure loved it when I fucked her.” Mike argued.
“Oh sure she did, but you don’t measure up to me, in any way whatsoever.” Chester said.
“You just can’t fucking stand the fact that I had sex with her. It gets under your skin and eats you to the core. Maybe if you’d focused on her and your daughter instead of shooting dope, you wouldn’t have had to leave her, and she wouldn’t have had sex with me to feel safe. Maybe if you’d quit the shit when you said you were going to, instead of lying, then this wouldn’t have happened.” Mike replied.
“Of course she was scared, Mike. She is pregnant and she’s alone. Talking to her to keep her mind off of it would’ve done just fine, you didn’t have to screw her. That was for you. You took advantage of the fact that she was vulnerable, and used it for your own fucking selfish gain. I took her home from a party so she wouldn’t get rufied and raped, what she chose to do with me when we got home was-”
“She was fucking drunk. YOU took advantage of an intoxicated woman. She may have been willing, but she wasn’t in her right mind.” He argued.
“Then why did she do it again the next day? And damn near every day after that?” Chester asked.
“I’m not saying the girl doesn’t love you, but don’t start pointing fingers and accusing me of things when you’re not so clean yourself. What you did that night resulted in her being pregnant, and that baby is coming whether you like it or not, so you need to start acting like an adult so you can raise her, and take care of Michelle. She deserves the world, but she’s settling for you, so you’d better do the best you can to take care of her.” Mike turned and walked away.
Chester started after him, but I grabbed the back of his shirt, “Hey, no!” I dragged him back.
“Let him go.” I said, shaking my head.
“Why do I have to let him go?” He asked.
“Because he’s just trying to make you mad so you’ll give those cops a reason to haul you off. You fight him, and it’s over. He’s wrong anyway, and you know it. I’m here with you because I love you and I want to be, not because I got stuck with you. Everything you and I have done together was because I wanted to, so don’t let him get into your head and convince you otherwise. I’m here because I love you and I want to be with you, and that pisses him off because he wants me for himself. Let it go.” I told him.
“Maybe if you hadn’t slept with him, he wouldn’t have the idea that he could have you.” He jerked his arm out of my grasp.
“That’s true, and that’s my fault, so let him be mad at me. And you can be mad at me, but don’t do anything stupid that you’ll regret later.” I said.
He got in the car, “Maybe getting married was a mistake. We never had these problems before.” He started the car.
“You’re not wrong. Do you want to get divorced?” I asked.
He shook his head, “No. because I do love you and want to be with you, and that would give him the idea that he could move in on you. We just have to get through this however we can.” He said.
“I’m sorry that I’m not making his easy.” I sighed.
“Marriage isn’t easy, Michelle. But you work through the problems because it’s worth it.” He said.
“Is it worth it?” I asked.
He looked at me, “Yes. Very. And don’t doubt for a second that I love you. This is just a mess, and not one I was expecting, that’s all.”
I looked down at my wrists, “My father would kill me for what I’ve done to you.”
“Well he doesn’t have to know. I’ve forgiven you anyway.” He said.
“If Chauntelle hasn’t already told him.” I said.
“Do you think she has?” He asked.
“Probably. They talk every day.” I replied.
“Wouldn’t he have called you?” He asked.
“Not necessarily. If it’s bad enough, he’ll confront me face to face.” I said.
“Well you haven’t seen him yet, so you’re in the clear.” He turned down our street, and I saw a strange car parked on the curb in front of our house.
“Or not.” I looked at him.
“You don’t know that it’s him.” He said.
When we pulled into the driveway, the car door flew open and my dad got out.
“Spoke too soon.” I said, getting out.
He grabbed me by the arm, “What the hell is wrong with you?? You were not raised like this!” He spun me around and slapped me across the face.
“Hey!” Chester ran to my side, pushing him away.
“What the hell was that for?” He asked.
“For being a two-bit tramp. She knows better than this. For someone who hates her, you’re sure acting just like your mother, Michelle.” He said.
“Look, it’s in the past. I forgave her and we’re moving on.” Chester said.
“I did the same thing and look what happened. Do you want your daughter to end up like her?” He asked.
“Yes, I do. Because Michelle made a mistake, but she’s not a bad person. She is not Marie, and she never will be. She hasn’t hurt our daughter, she hurt herself, and she thinks she deserves to suffer because of Marie. Well she doesn’t. I want her to be happy, because I still love her.” He said.
“She could’ve hurt your daughter. What sane person shoots heroin while they’re pregnant. She could’ve killed both of them!” He yelled.
“She didn’t. She’s fine and so is Bailee.” He said.
“What is this?!” He grabbed my wrist.
Chester looked down, “I can explain.”
“You did this?!” He asked.
Chester looked at me, “Yes. But not intentionally.”
“Chester. Don’t.” I said.
“Shut up.” My Dad glared.
“We were..” he paused, trying to find the right way to explain it.
“We were having sex, and we got carried away. It was an accident and I’m fine.” I finished.
He looked at Chester.
“It’s true.” He said.
Dad looked skeptical.
Chester reached up and pulled the gauze off his arm, “She did this to me. It was all an accident. We’re both fine.” He said.
Dad grabbed my hand, looking at my fingernails to see if I was telling the truth.
“There’s still skin under them.” I turned my hand over for him to see.
He shook his head and dropped my hand, “Why not just let him have her?” He asked him.
“Dad!” I said.
“No, it’s okay Michelle,” Chester put his arm around me, “Because though I was hurt, I still love her very much, and I want her.” He said.
“You don’t understand. She’s going to hurt you again. You’re going through what I went through with her mother. I ignored it, forgave her and stayed with her, but she just kept hurting me and Michelle until I couldn’t ignore it anymore. Michelle is Marie made over, and it will happen to you, if you don’t let her go. Let him have her, since he wants her so badly. All in all she’ll always be just like Marie. There’s no stopping it or changing it.” He said.
“That’s what you think. But I don’t think she’s like Marie at all. I think she’s better. I don’t think she’d ever do anything to hurt me again.” Chester said.
“We’ll see about that.” He said.
“You,” He turned to me, “Cut your damn fingernails.” He said.
I looked down, “I will.”
“You, be more careful with my daughter. She’s in a delicate condition.” He looked at Chester.
“I know. I will, I’m sorry.” He said.
“You two have been married all of three days and have done nothing but make trouble. Get it together. I supported your decision to get married, so stop making me regret it.”
“We’re trying, Dad.” I said.
“Try harder. And keep your damn legs closed before you get yourself in more trouble.” He said sternly.
“Yes sir.” I looked at Chester.
A car pulled up, and Kayla got out.
“Oh great.” I groaned.
“Who’s this?” Dad asked.
“The girlfriend of the man I slept with.” I said.
He gave me a dirty look, “You made this bed, now lie in it.”
“What warrants this visit?” I asked.
“Mike sent me to bring your stuff back to you.” She said shortly.
“I was planning to come get it.”
“He doesn’t want you at the house, and he didn’t want to come here. Believe me I don’t want to be around your ass either.” She rolled her eyes.
“We’ll help carry it in.” My dad said.
“Thanks. And you are?” She asked.
“Jack Kennedy. I’m Michelle’s father.” He said.
“Oh, I’m sorry.” Her attitude changed abruptly.
“Don’t apologize. I don’t blame you. I’m rather pissed off at her too, because believe me, she was NOT raised this way, and I am VERY disappointed in her.” He gave me a look.
“I believe you. But drugs change people.” She gave me the same look.
“Yes they do. Believe me I know.” Jack walked away with her.
“Go help the new BFFs, I’m gonna go slit my wrists.” I sighed, turning to walk in the house.
“I know you’re kidding, but that’s not funny!”’ Chester called after me.

I went in the house and changed clothes, sitting on the bed looking at the wall.
Chester came in first, arms loaded with boxes.
He put them down along the wall, “You okay?” He asked.
“Fine.” I muttered, pulling the blanket over my head.
“In here?” Dad asked.
“Yeah, just put them next to those.” Chester told him.
“In here!” Dad called over his shoulder.
I heard Kayla walk in and drop the boxes.
“There’s a couple more.” She said.
“I’ll get them.” Chester said.
“So, this the bed you fucked my boyfriend in?” She asked.
“Why do you care?” I sat up.
“Because you’re a fucking slut, and because while Chester may have let it go, but I haven’t.” She glared at me.
“Kayla, it’s over. Mike and I are never happening again. Move on.” I sighed.
“How am supposed to be okay with it and move on?” She asked.
“Because Mike doesn’t want anything to do with me anymore, he sent you to drop off my stuff. It’s over.” I stood up.
“He’s pissed off at him, not you.” She said.
“Then why could I by myself come get this stuff? You said he didn’t want me at the house, so he had you bring my stuff.”
“But it’s not because he’s mad at you. It’s because he doesn’t want to cause anymore shit. He doesn’t want Chester there and he knew if you came alone, Chester would assume the worst and make a scene. He told me that before I left. He still wants you. But he knows that Chester is pissed at him.” She said.
“He knows damn well that nothing else is going to come of this. He and I are done and he knows that. Chester knows that. You should know that.” I said.
“I don’t trust either of you.” She said.
“I don’t blame you. I wouldn’t either. But keep away from me, anyway.” I walked into the kitchen to get a drink.
“He’d better not give me any diseases he caught from you.” She sneered.
Chester caught that comment as he walked past the kitchen, and turned around, “She doesn’t have any diseases. And if she did, she’d have gotten them from me.” He turned and walked away.
She gave me a look.
“I don’t have any diseases. If I did there’s no way I’d knowingly give them to anyone. That sounds more like something YOU would do, Kayla.” I shut the fridge.
“You don’t know me.” She retorted.
“Judging by the way you’re behaving, I’ve got a pretty good idea. Not saying I’m a saint, because we all know I’m a horrible person, but that’s low even for me.” I sat at the table.
She narrowed her eyes, “If you weren’t pregnant, I’d beat the fuck out of you.” She said.
“Come back after I have the baby, and we’ll fight.” I shrugged.
“You wanna bet?” She asked.
“No bets. Just come over and we’ll duke this out.” I said.
“You got a fight, bitch.” She glared at me and walked out.
Chester came back, “Really babe? You’re going to fight her?”
I shrugged, “She wants a fight. She thinks it’ll make her feel better about everything if she kicks my ass. She won’t, but I’ll let her believe whatever she wants.”
“Michelle.” My dad called.
“What?” I yelled.
“You’re a grown woman. You don’t need to fight that girl. Especially after you have a baby, both of you need to drop it.” He said.
“She wants to fight we’ll fight. And then when I beat her ass, she’ll leave me alone.” I said.
“That won’t solve anything. You’ll still have had sex with her boyfriend and she’ll still think that you’re going to do it again.” He said.
“Oh well. Difference is, after I kick her ass, she won’t care WHO I’m sleeping with.” I said.
My phone rang, and I answered it, stepping into the bedroom alone.
“Hello?” I asked.
“Michelle.” Mike said.
“Mike What is it? I have my stuff and you’re mad at me anyway. What is it?” I asked.
“You are not fighting Kayla.” He said sternly.
“She wants a fight, she’ll get her damn fight. If that’s what it takes for her to drop this shit, that’s what I’ll do.” I said.
“No. Because you forget that she’s pregnant too.” He said.
“So we fight after our kids are born.” I said.
“No! You’re not fighting at all!” He said.
“And why not?” I asked.
“Because there is no reason to fight. It’s over and done with now.” He said.
“Tell her that.” I looked up as the bedroom door opened.
Chester sat next to me.
“I did, but she’s determined.” He sighed.
“Well like I told my dad and Chester, if it’s a fight she wants, then she’s got it. Maybe after she won’t worry about me anymore.” I said.
Chester put his arm around me, pulling me close.
“No. You two are not fighting.”
“Fine. On one condition.” I looked up at Chester.
“You and Chester can’t fight either. You both have to let it go. I chose him and I love him and you have to be at peace with that, just like he’s got to be at peace with the fact that I fucked you, and I’m not going to do it again.” I said.
Chester shook his head.
“Chester will never agree to that.” Mike said.
“He will if he wants me not to fight. If he wants me to stay with him.” I said.
Chester gave me a dirty look.
“Where is he?” Mike asked.
“Right here next to me.” I said.
“Surprised he hasn’t said anything.”
“He’s giving me go to hell looks.” I replied, putting my hand on Chester’s leg.
“I’m sure he is.” Mike said.
I moved my hand up his leg, smiling seductively.
He smiled back, and kissed my neck.
“I think I can convince him to see things my way.” I told Mike.
“How are you going to do that?” He asked.
I laid back on the bed, and Chester put his hand in the front of my shorts.
“Oh I’m very convincing.” I giggled.
“He’s pretty set on kicking my ass, how are you planning to change his mind?” Mike asked.
“By giving him something he can’t say no to.” I replied.
Chester had my shorts and underwear off and was pulling my shirt over my head.
“What’s that?” Mike asked.
“I think you know.” I used my free hand to pull his shorts off while he took off my bra.
“No, I don’t or I wouldn’t be...oh.” He realized what I meant, just as Chester rolled on top of me, and slammed his hips against mine.
“Yeah. I’m kinda busy right now, so I’m going to get off the phone.” I told him.
“Let him listen. To what he’ll NEVER have again.” Chester grinned.
I couldn’t help but moan aloud as he slammed against me harder.
I heard the line click, and dropped my phone in the floor.
“He’s jealous.” I whispered.
“He should be.” he said.
He put his hand around my throat and squeezed gently, making me moan, chills running down my spine at the same time.
I moaned passionately, and bit my lip.
“I love you.” he breathed, caressing my face.
I shivered and moaned again, unable to speak as the orgasm shook my body to the core.
He smiled, and tightened his hand around my throat.
I gasped for air, and he let go, “Are you okay?” he asked.
“I’m fine, I liked it.” I smiled, pulling him into a kiss.
At the same time that all of this was happening, Bailee was kicking.
“She’s all wound up about something.” Chester laughed.
“She’s not happy about all the roughhousing going on.” I replied, sitting up.
“Sorry, princess.” he kissed my stomach.
I got up and put a tank top and shorts back on.
“So we’re done?” he asked, sitting up in bed.
“Well, I’m nauseous and hungry.” I replied, tossing my hair over my shoulder.
“Oh, okay.” he shrugged, and grabbed his shirt off the floor.
I went into the kitchen and started digging through cabinets.
“Find anything?” he asked.
“No.” I sighed, closing the pantry.
“We need to go grocery shopping.” He said.
“I’ve had a lot going on, and I haven’t thought about it.” I said.
“Yeah, who’s worried about food when you’re on your back with your legs open.” He commented.
“Chester Charles!” I gasped.
“Sorry. Still a little bitter.” He shrugged.
I shook my head, “You said we were past it. So leave it alone.” I said.
“I’m sorry, Michelle. We are past it, I shouldn’t have said that.” He said.
“You’re obviously not past it, or you wouldn’t keep making comments about it.” I said.
“I’m trying to get past it, Michelle.” He sat at the table.
“You’re not trying very hard.” I commented.
“You try getting over something like this and see how easy it is!” He snapped.
“Have you fucking forgotten that I have been through this before?” I spun around.
“And yet you still thought it was a good idea to do it to someone else, to the person that saved you from the path of destruction that was caused by that.” He shakes his head.
“We have been over this, I wasn’t thinking rationally when I did that. I was worried about everything going on and-”
“And that’s a good excuse to sleep with my best friend the day afer our wedding.” He interjected, crossing his arms.
“No, it isn’t. What I was getting at, is that I’m a horrible person. But one that for some reason YOU still love, or I wouldn’t be here.” I replied.
He sighed and looked down, “You really are an awful person, but I do love you, very much. You just have to understand, that because you’re here, because I’ve forgiven you, doesn’t mean that I’m past it, or that I’m not hurt by it.”
“I know that, and I’m not going to hurt you by ever doing it again.” I said.
“Besides, hurt or not, before I ever forgave you, I fucked you on this kitchen table.” he chuckled.
“Yeah, I kind of thought that was helping the forgiveness thing.” I put the kettle on the stove.
“And I’m prepared to let you keep thinking that.” he shrugged.
“Moving on, we need to go grocery shopping, so while that’s heating, I’m going to get dressed and cleaned up.” I kissed his cheek.
“You want to know what else helped the forgiveness thing?” He called after me.
“What?” I looked over my shoulder.
“The fact that I’m bigger.” he smiled.
I rolled my eyes, sighing, “You’re exhausting.”
“Oh, wait until later.” he winked.
I sighed and went into the bedroom.
I put on a pair of shorts and a t-shirt and brushed my hair into a ponytail.
I smoothed my shirt down, running my hand over my growing stomach.
“If there’s anything you need to know about your mama, little girl, it’s that she’s good at making messes. Big ones.” I said.
Chester overheard as he was coming down the hall, and he put his arms around me, hands covering mine, “But what you need to know about your daddy, is that I love mama irregardless, very much.” he rested his chin on my shoulder.
“I’m lucky, I guess.” I smiled faintly.
“I’m lucky.” he kissed my cheek.
I heard the kettle whistle in the kitchen, “I’m going to have a cup of tea before we go. Get dressed.” I smiled, turning to go down the hall.

I poured the boiling water in the mug and dropped the teabag in.
“Babe, where’s my favorite shirt?” he called.
I looked up, thinking about it for a minute, before realizing the last time I’d seen that particular shirt, was when I pulled it out of the dirty laundry pile on the floor and put it on, which was after I slept with Mike the first time.
I hadn’t seen it since he’d taken it off of me the next morning.
“Check the laundry pile on the floor. Laundry is something else I keep forgetting to do.” I called.
“I can’t fi- Oh here it is under the bed. With a pair of boxers that aren’t mine.”
I dropped the spoon I was stirring my tea with.
I went into the bedroom and he tossed them to me.
“At least we know who’s they are.” I shrugged, tossing them back into the laundry pile.
“Are you going to give them back?” he pulled the shirt over his head.
“After I wash them yes. I’m not an animal.” I said.
“That’s not what I heard.” he looked over his shoulder.
“Screw what you heard.” I said, crossing my arms.
“So, I’m assuming you were wearing this at some point while I was gone.” He said.
“Yeah, it made me miss you less.” I said.
“Right up until he pulled it over your head and tossed it in the floor to be forgotten about?” he asked.
“Can we not?” I turned and went back into the kitchen.
“Okay, fine. Sorry.” He pulled his jacket on.
“You ready?” I asked.
“Yeah, let’s get going.” He picked up his keys.

On the way out the door, my phone rang.
“Go to the car, I’m right behind you. It’s probably Chaun.” I got my phone out.
“Hello?”
“Michelle.”
“Yes Mike?” I sighed.
“How are things going?” he asked.
“Things are going well, we’re on our way to go grocery shopping, like married couples tend to do.” I said.
“Well that’s good, I suppose.” He said.
“Yeah, how are things with you?” I asked.
“Well, Kayla is still here, driving me insane. I thought I’d call and check on you while she wasn’t here.” He said.
“Where is she?” I asked.
“She’s shopping with some friends.” He answered.
“Baby clothes?” I asked.
“Yeah.”
“We’re doing fine, Mike. Every now and then we have tiffs about it, but for the most part we’re fine, Oh, I have a pair of your underwear. I was going to wash them before I gave them back.” I said.
“Oh, I hadn’t realized I was missing a pair.” he answered.
“Yeah, Chester found them under the bed.” I replied, looking out the door at Chester who was standing against the car, looking down the street.
“Oh, that start another fight?” he asked.
“Well no, luckily. Because we’d just finished fighting about it.” I said.
“Good. I am missing a t-shirt I wore while I was there, if you come across it, let me know.” he said.
“Let’s just hope I find it first.” I chuckled.
“Yeah, I’m not trying to cause anymore trouble for you.” he said.
“Oh honey, you didn’t cause me any trouble, I did this all to myself.” I replied.
“I didn’t help anything, by you know, having sex with you.” He said.
“Well, I wanted it for my own selfish reasons, so we’ll just chalk it up as being my fault.” I said.
“I do still think about it, a lot. Every night, actually.” He said.
“Okay, I don’t need to know about that.” I replied.
“Sorry. The memory is what’s getting me through this nightmare I created for myself.” He said.
“Good to know, thanks.” I said.
“Michelle!” I looked over and he was motioning for me to come on.
“Look Mike, I gotta go. But when I wash your underwear and find your shirt, I’ll call you.” I said.
He laughed, “Sure, take care.”
I put my phone in my purse and rushed out the door, shutting it behind me.
“Sorry, it was Chaun. She was checking on us.” I said.
“Did you tell her that we’re doing fine?” he asked.
I nodded, “I did.”
He nods, backing out of the driveway, “Uh-huh. Did you tell Mike I found his underwear under the bed?”
I sighed and gave him a look, “He knows.”
“And?”
“He asked me to keep an eye out for a T-shirt he thinks he left here.” I said.
“What’s it look like?” he asked.
“I didn’t ask. I guess he assumed I’d remember the one he meant, but-”
“You don’t, because you weren’t paying attention to what shirt he was wearing when you were ripping it off of him.” he interrupted.
“Chester, please stop.” I sighed.
“I wasn’t being petty. I was simply pointing out the truth.” he said.
“Which in turn, sounded petty.” I replied, giving him a dirty look.
“It wasn’t meant to be.” he said.
“Well that’s how it came out.” I said.
“Are we going to fight about this again?” he asked.
“Nope. Let’s just get this grocery shopping done.” I looked out the window.

We got to the grocery store after not speaking the rest of the drive.
We walked into the store, still not speaking to one another.
“Oh look at you, you’re positively glowing!” She was an older lady with gray hair.
“Oh, thanks.” I forced a smile.
“How far along are you?” She asked.
“Twenty two weeks. Coming up on six months.” I said.
“Oh, boy or girl?” she smiled.
“Girl.” I said.
“Is she your first?” she asked.
I nodded, glancing at Chester, “Yes, she’s our first. We’re nervous and excited all at the same time.” I smiled.
“Oh, babies are a joy. Are you excited?” she looked at him.
He forced a smile, “Oh yes. Very excited.” he said.
“Well, I’ll let you get back to your shopping. Congratulations and good luck.” she smiled and walked away.
I looked at Chester.
He put his arm around me, and kissed me.

We finished grocery shopping, and went home.
I was putting up groceries in the kitchen while Chester took a shower, when someone knocked on the door.
“Just a second!” I called.
I went into the foyer, and opened the door.
“Hey sister.” Chauntelle hugged me.
“Hi.” I smiled.
“This is the first time I’ve come over here and you weren’t rushing to put your clothes back on.” She laughed.
I laughed too, “Chester’s in the shower.” I told her.
“Oh, so I just missed it by a few minutes.” She said.
“No, we haven’t done that today. We’ve spent a lot of the morning fighting, actually.” I closed the front door.
“What are you two fighting about?” She dropped her purse on the couch.
“Seriously, Chauntelle?” I asked.
She shrugged, “I was hoping that you two found something else to fight about, besides that. Something more trivial.” She sat down.
“Well, keep dreaming sister. We’re still on that.” I sat next to her.
“What caused the fight?” she asked.
“Well, aside from dad showing up, backhanding me and calling me every name in the book, Mike’s girlfriend showing up and joining in on that fun, and Chester finding Mike’s underwear under the bed, nothing really. Just came out of the blue.” I shrugged.
She shook her head, “The dad part doesn’t surprise me, nor does the part about Kayla. Well, none of it suprises me.” She said.
The bathroom door opened and Chester walked out in nothing but a towel.
He got halfway down the hall, and saw Chauntelle, “Shit!” he ducked into the kitchen.
“Babe, a little warning when we have company would be nice.” he called, going into the laundry room.
“Just thought maybe if she saw it for herself, she’d quit bugging me about it.” I replied.
“Michelle!” Chauntelle smacked my arm.
“Ha-Ha, you’re hilarious, babe.” Chester called.
He came back now dressed in basketball shorts and a t-shirt.
“You can’t just give her a peek?” I asked, noticing Chauntelle peering at the front of his shorts.
“Nope. For your eyes only.” He laughed.
“It’s not just for my eyes.” I smirked at him.
“You two cut it out.” Chauntelle groaned.
“What? I told you we hadn’t done it yet today.” I said.
“Ugh. Go back to fighting.” She rolled her eyes.
“I don’t think you want that either. Your sister and I get pretty knock-down drag-out when we fight.” Chester said.
“That always ends with us making up, in the nastiest way.” I smiled, kissing him.
“God, you’re nauseating.” She stood up.
“We’ll stop, until after you leave.” Chester patted my arm.
I sighed, “Sorry Chaun. But if we start now, maybe you can see it before you go?” I smiled innocently.
“Michelle Marie..” Chester started.
“Michelle, stop it.” Chauntelle said.
“Okay fine. You, sit down.” I told Chauntelle.
Then I looked at Chester, “YOU, go sit over there. The further you are away from me, the better.”
He moved to the couch on the other side of the room.
“So, how’s my niece?” She asked.
“She’s doing okay. Moving about and such.” I shrugged.
The washing machine buzzed and Chester got up, “Be right back, I’m switching laundry.” He set his coffee on the table.
“How are you both doing with sobriety?” She asked once he was out of earshot.
“Great, actually. Neither of us have wanted to do it, and we haven’t even mentioned it. Out of system, out of mind, I guess.” I shrugged.
“Well that’s good. This little girl needs two sober parents.” She patted my stomach.
“Michelle, I’m not folding these.” Chester called from the laundry room.
“I’ll do it, just leave them on top of the dryer.” I replied.
“Folding what?” Chauntelle asked.
“Remember me telling you that he found Mike’s underwear under the bed?” I asked.
“Yeah, did you wash them?” She asked.
I shrugged, “I wasn’t going to give them back without washing them.”
She laughed, “There might be a good bone in your body yet.”
“Oh yeah sure, I cheat on my husband and then I wash my lover’s underwear before I give them back, I’m a real catch.” I rolled my eyes.
“Well, at least you aren’t still sleeping with him.” She said.
I laughed.
She gave me a look, “You’re NOT still sleeping with him, are you?” she asked.
I shook my head, “No, I’m not. In his head, I am, but in reality, no.” I said.
“In his head?” she asked.
I sighed and looked over my shoulder to make sure Chester still wasn’t listening, “He called last night and while we were discussing his underwear and a still missing t-shirt, and he said that he still thinks about us sleeping together, that it’s getting him through his nightmare of a relationship with Kayla. And though I don’t have feelings for him, I feel bad for him. I know it’s pathetic for him to do that, but it never would be happening if THAT had never happened to begin with.” I said.
“Well, let him have it, Michelle. It’s very pathetic, but it’s all he’s got, and thanks to you, at least he has it.” She shrugged.
I sighed, “If Chester knew about it, he’d kill him.”
“Well, it’s not like you’ve never lied to him before, no reason to break your streak now.” She shrugged.
“Chauntelle!” I glared at her.
“Sorry.” She looked down.
“What is it with everyone taking cheap shots at me? I’m pregnant, damn it, have some sympathy.” I stood up.
“Oh shut up, you spread your legs and got yourself into this situation, grow up and take the consequences.” She rolled her eyes.
“I am, but I don’t need to be reminded of how bad I fucked up every time I turn around.” I snapped.
“What is going on in here?” Chester asked.
“My sister is, as always, playing the victim and looking for pity.” Chauntelle said, snatching up her purse and storming out the door.
“What the hell was that about?” He asked.
“Sibling rivalry, nothing to worry about.” I sat back on the couch.
“You okay?” he asked.
“I’m fine babe, really.” I nodded.
He sat down, putting his arm around me, “I’m here if you need me.” he kissed my hair.
“She’s just picking fights with me for the same reason you pick fights with me.” I said.
“The affair? Why does SHE have bad blood over that?” he asked.
“Because she knows you love me, and she knows how hard we fought to make this marriage happen at all, so she’s not exactly a fan of me hurting you and ruining it. Crazy, right?” I asked.
“Well, as much as I appreaciate her concern, that’s between you and me, and we’re past that.” He said.
“Until you make another petty comment and start another fight.” I said.
“Well, I’m your husband, and I’M the victim, so I GET to make comments.” he said.
“I’d rather you didn’t.” I groaned.
“Well, since we’re discussing things that are just between us, that your sister apparently has thoughts about, why don’t we go back to the bedroom, and I’ll get between something else.” he put his hand on my leg.
“As horny as I am, I’d rather not right now, babe.” I sighed.
“Well, if you change your mind, just say the word, and I’ll strip down and lay on the bed in my playgirl pose.” he kissed me and went back to the laundry room.
I smiled and turned on the TV, putting on a sitcom re-run.
When I realized I was dozing off, I turned off the TV, and went to the bedroom, “Chester, I’m going to bed.” I called.
“I’m finishing up, I’ll be there in a minute.” He replied.
I changed into a nightgown, and climbed into bed.
I saw the lights switch off in the rest of the house and heard his footsteps getting closer.
“You sleepy baby girl?” he asked, closing the bedroom door.
“I’m exhausted, and I don’t know why.” I said.
“It’s the pregnancy hormones, just get some sleep, and you’ll feel better tomorrow.” he kissed my forehead and switched the light off, climbing into bed.
“Did you get the laundry folded?” I mumbled sleepily.
“Yes, I’ll get up in the morning and put it all up.” He whispered.
I curled up against him, and fell asleep.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry this one took so long, work has been crazy and unpredictable, and between that and back-to-school business, I haven't had much time to work on this.
But here it is, and I hope you guys enjoy it!
Let me know what you guys think, and I'll try and have the next one up soon!
-Nikki