Like You Did Before

61: For A Lot Of Reasons

Adjusting Lola on his hip, Iker stopped in the doorway, his lips quirking upwards as he watched Matilda stop in front of the mirror, her hands nervously smoothing out the material of the dress she wore. It had taken a little convincing. Despite the conversation that they had had, and the one that Matilda had had with Naomi, she had still remained hesitant about the prospect of attending Micah’s birthday party, but eventually, between Naomi and Iker, they had convinced her to go, even if she didn’t stay for long. She had as much right as Arthur did to be there. She hadn’t done anything wrong. Whilst she could be accused of being slightly naive or oblivious, she hadn’t hurt Arthur deliberately, and it meant that there was no reason for her to duck out, even if her inevitable interaction with Arthur would be painfully awkward. Micah and Naomi were as much her friends as Arthur’s.

“Doesn’t mama look pretty, Lola?” Iker cooed.

Matilda, who’d been fiddling with the ends of her hair, visibly jumped at the sound of Iker’s voice, something which caused him to duck his head, trying, and failing, to hide the amused smirk that had brightened his features. “Sorry” he said.

“You don’t sound sorry” Matilda countered, sparing him a playful smile over her shoulder.

“I thought you’d heard us coming” Iker quipped “We were just on our way to get ready for bath time and we thought we’d stop in and say goodbye before you go” he added.

Matilda nodded her head, allowing a brief moment of quiet to pass, before she turned around, a slightly shakier smile on her face. “You’re still sure that you don’t want to come with me?” she asked.

Iker opened and closed his mouth a couple of times before he nodded, offering her a slightly apologetic look. She had asked a few times. With Naomi insisting that she had to come, even though Arthur was going to be there, Matilda had tried to encourage Iker to go with her, wanting his support, but each time, he turned her down. It wasn’t going to be pleasant. When Arthur and Matilda were in the same place, it was almost certain to be awkward and tense, and whilst Iker wanted to support Matilda, he knew that his being there would probably only make things worse.

“I’m sure” Iker said.

Matilda let out a slightly rueful laugh. “I figured you’d say that” she quipped.

Iker stepped a little deeper into the room, settling Lola down into the playpen they had set up for her, before he moved towards Matilda. Cupping the back of her head, he gently tipped it back slightly, allowing him to press a soft kiss against her forehead. “If I didn’t think I’d make it worse, I’d go with you in a heartbeat” he murmured softly.

“I know” Matilda said “I’m just nervous. I can’t believe I let you and Mimi talk me into this” she added.

“If it goes terribly, I blame Naomi completely” Iker quipped, an impish grin on his face.

Matilda let out a laugh before she could stop herself, something which made Iker smile before he placed another kiss on her forehead. “I’m sure it won’t be as bad as you think” he murmured “And if it is, you can always just come home. I’ll be here” he added.

Matilda fiddled with the bottom of Iker’s t-shirt before she pushed herself up onto her toes, sneaking a quick kiss. Iker smiled against her lips momentarily before Lola called out to him, causing him to pad back towards her, lifting her up into his arms.

“Do I really look alright?” Matilda asked as he padded towards the door.

Iker stopped and turned back to her, a tender smile on his face. “You look beautiful, Mattie” he said.

Matilda’s cheeks flushed a gentle shade of pink.

Iker flashed her one last reassuring smile before he and Lola left the room, allowing Matilda to progress towards her dressing table. Collecting a bottle of her favourite perfume, she sprayed it a couple of times before she wrinkled her nose. Furrowing her brow, she studied the bottle for a moment before she heard her phone beep, causing her to place it down before she moved to collect her bag and phone and head out of the door.

~#~
“You’re not planning on leaving before the cake, are you?”

Matilda, who’d been staring at the screen of her phone, startled slightly at the sound of Micah’s voice before she glanced up, offering him a slightly sheepish smile. She had been planning on leaving. After nearly two hours of edging around Naomi and Micah’s living room, determinedly avoiding Arthur, she had reached her limit, and she was ready to give up, even despite Naomi’s best efforts to keep her occupied.

She could feel Arthur looking at her. On more than one occasion, she had looked up from her own conversation and found her eyes meeting his, and she couldn't do it any more. She itched to talk to him, to wrap him in a hug like she had done a million times before, and tell him about all of the things that had happened in her life since they’d last seen one another, but she knew that she couldn't. She knew that it wouldn’t be fair.

“It depends” Matilda replied “Are you planning on having it in the next seven minutes? Because my taxi is going to be here in eight” she added.

Micah’s teasing smile faded, becoming a concerned frown. “I thought Mimi was running interference” he said.

“She is” Matilda confirmed “And she’s done a great job, but I...I can’t stay here any longer. I’m sorry, Micah” she added softly.

“Has something happened?” Micah prodded.

Matilda was quick to shake her head. “It’s just hard” she said “For a lot of different reasons. I just need to get out of here. Does that make any kind of sense?” she asked.

Micah offered her a sympathetic smile before he nodded. “Yeah” he said “I’ll tell Mimi for you. Thank you for coming, Mattie” he added.

Matilda smiled at him gratefully before she leant up, hugging him gently. “Happy birthday” she said.

Micah patted her back a couple of times before he pulled back, allowing Matilda to walk towards the door. Ducking out of it, she walked towards the street before she heard the sound of someone calling her name, causing her to frown before she turned around, her eyes widening at the sight of Arthur who was jogging towards her. Blinking a couple of times, she watched him come to a stop a small distance away from her before he quirked a sad smile. “Hi” he breathed.

Matilda just stared up at him, not sure of what to say or do.

“Can we talk?” Arthur asked.

“Art...”

“Please?” Arthur interrupted “I just want to talk” he added.

Matilda shook her head. She could feel her resolve fading.

Arthur quirked a sad smile. “I miss you, Mattie” he said gently.

Matilda felt the last of her resolve slip away. “I...I miss you, too” she whispered.

“Then can we go somewhere and talk?” Arthur prodded “Please?” he added.

Matilda nodded before she could stop herself. “OK” she agreed.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to Twisted;;Symphony for the comment :)