Frozen Hearts

Ten - Gabriel

It had been a week since Lucas had disappeared and three days since Lynx beat the hell out of me for information that I don’t have, but it was expected. I knew that the blame would land at my door eventually, but I had already worked it out and the only way to prove my innocence was to get Lucas back.

I’m not sure that I am in the right place, to be honest, but it’s the first lead I’ve gotten and all I can do is hope. The house itself seems deserted, but I definitely saw movement behind the grimy curtains and that in itself is suspicious.

The grip on the knife in my hand instinctually tightens as I approach the back door, my common sense telling me to avoid the front of the house completely and I’ve always done well listening to that part of my brain. Silence meets my ears as I step over the threshold, eyes slowly adjusting to the dimly lit kitchen and heart crashing against my ribs.

Fear washes over me like a wave and I take a shaky deep breath, before creeping deeper within the building. Movement up ahead soon has me diving blindly into a room and I leave the door ajar, watching closely as a man walks past pulling what looks like a weapons table of some sort.

‘Lucas,’ I thought, my heart clenching at the thought of him hurt and alone in this run-down dump. I quickly shake those thoughts from my head, knowing that I can’t afford to let my guard down and make my way towards the room that the man had come out from down the hall.

With the door locked, I remove the lock picking tools from my backpack and make quick work to open the door. I can’t see a thing as I quietly close the door behind me, retrieving a torch and scanning the room.

It wasn’t long before the beam landed on something hunched over by one of the walls and I noticed the sound of labored breathing that hadn’t registered before, drawing my attention to whoever it was.

“Lucas,” I whisper as I move closer, crouching down beside him and lifting his chin with my thumb, “What the fuck happened?”

“Trap...” Lucas manages to mumble, before a pained groan escapes his lips and I realize that he’s hurt.

“Let’s get you out of these things,” I reply, glancing towards the door and picking the cuffs that had been placed on his wrists, “Easy.”

I lay him carefully on the ground and use my torch to assess the damage, gasping as I see the blood soaking into his shirt. It takes everything in me to keep my hands steady, lifting his shirt and grimacing at the obvious knife wound.

“Gabe... just go,” Lucas tells me, pushing at my hands feebly and huffing in frustration when I simply ignore him in favor of wrapping his wound as best I could.

“I’m not going anywhere, you idiot.”

“How sweet,” a voice stated from behind me, but I hadn’t missed the newcomer's arrival and spun in time to ram the knife I was still holding into the man’s leg.

A fist to the face sent me flying backwards into the nearest wall, but I got back to my feet as the man bore down on my position and used all the strength I could muster to body slam him to the ground.
♠ ♠ ♠
Enjoy ♥