Frozen Hearts

Twenty Three - Lucas

No one ever told me the fear of losing Gabriel would encompass my entire being. When I saw the bruises on Gabriel’s body when he entered my hospital room, I knew something bad was going on in his head. Was I wrong to be stripping Gabriel of who he was? He wasn’t meant for a life in the gang world, he never adjusted quite like I did. He was always soft and cared about people more than he should. Now that his dad was in the hospital with me, I feared Gabriel would do something stupid.

Salvador walks in and locks the door behind him, “do you know when you’re due for discharge?” He asks softly.

I shake my head, “no, the gunshot grazed my ribs, but it also opened up some stitching on my wounds. They’re wanting to be sure that I don’t develop an infection before leaving,” I said.

Salvador nods his head and leans against the wall. He notices the wounds on Gabriel’s hands and looks between us, I shake my head no to his unasked question, and he frowns as he looks at him. I carefully stand from the bed and slowly walk over to Gabriel; I pull him against my chest and rub his head as I hold him. I didn’t expect the tears to start, but I knew he needed to release the emotions he had built up inside him. He wasn’t made for this. I couldn’t ask him to continue doing this for me and I contemplated ending our relationship because of it.

“Gabriel, I love you more than anything on this planet, but we’ve noticed a change in you. This life is causing you to lose the flame that made you who you are, and I don’t want to see this go out. I don’t want to lose my Gabriel because of this gang nonsense and finding out your family is full of traitors isn’t an easy way to live,” I say with a small pause as I hold him, “this life, it hurts, it’s not an easy thing to deal with every day. I couldn’t tell you how many times I’ve been stabbed, shot, over little things and I don’t want to see this become you,” I say as I hold him.

Gabriel looks up at me with tears on his cheeks. I gently wipe them away before he begins to speak again, “what are you saying, Lucas?” He asks through shaky breaths.

I smile sadly, “I’m contemplating ending the relationship, forgetting this whole plan, I never should have drug you this far down. I should’ve had you kill me back at school then you never would’ve faced these things and you never would have had to deal with the wrath from your dad. I feel like I’m ruining your life and who you are,” I said sadly.

Gabriel doesn’t know what to say as he wraps his arms tighter around me. He holds me close to him as he buries his face in my chest. I run my hands through his hair and hold him as he is silent in thought. I hope he didn’t think I didn’t love him because of me loving him is why I’m doing this. He doesn’t need to sink any further than he already has.