Frozen Hearts

Twenty Four - Gabriel

I take a few minutes to calm the anger I feel and focus on the sensation of Lucas’ fingers running through my hair, before pulling away. He’d always been a bit slow when it came to the things staring him in the face, but this was ridiculous and I find myself laughing.

“Gabriel...” he questions with a confused look on his face, glancing over at his brother in question and earning a quick shrug in response.

“The person I’ve become isn’t your creation, Lucas...” I tell him honestly, “I never wanted any part of this life and yet, here I am because of my father. He used my feelings for you to pull me in and I stayed because it made me feel... it offered something other than the pain that he caused.”

It’s true that Lucas is the reason that I’m currently stood in his hospital room, my dad laid in a room somewhere nearby and probably not far from death. It’s also true that I’ve changed, but that is my dad’s doing and I won’t lose Lucas again because of him.

“Have you seen him?” Salvador asks quietly, though I can tell that Lucas is less concerned with my dad and more with what I was saying.

“No,” I answer as I move over to the window, “My mom rang, but she couldn’t tell me anything and I can’t bring myself to seek him out.”

“I’ll go see what I can find out,” Salvador said, leaving the obvious unsaid and nodding to Lucas as he left the room.

“This is all my fault, I was selfish and fucked everything up,” I admit as soon as we are alone, “My dad used my feelings for you to try to gain the upper hand and I let him, but I lost who I was along the way. He chipped away at my light, molded it into a fiery cave of anger and hate for his own purposes.”

“What do you mean?” Lucas inquires.

“I got lost in the darkness that he called home, then I came back here and I could finally see the light again,” I explain, though the words didn’t really explain anything and yet I continued to ramble, “I love you, Lucas, you’ve always brought out the better person in me and I don’t know if I can survive the darkness again.”

“Don’t be dramatic, Gabriel...”

One look told him that I wasn’t messing around this time and he opened his mouth to continue, but was promptly cut off by my phone chiming.

‘Any news on your father yet?’

‘Not at the moment, but it shouldn’t be much longer...’

I hate lying to my mom, but she loves her husband and I fear her decision if she were ever forced to choose. My decision, however, was as easy as breathing and it had never wavered.

“I choose you, Lucas... it’s always been you,” I say, stepping forward and cupping his cheek with a smile as I close the distance to bring our lips together briefly.
♠ ♠ ♠
Enjoy ♥