Frozen Hearts

Twenty-Five - Lucas

It’s been a month since I’ve been out of the hospital. Gabriel’s father is still in unknown condition since last we’d heard he’d coded once. I would have some mild long-term effects of both my coma and my injuries, but they say I should otherwise make a full recovery. I didn’t know whether to be happy or upset that I would completely recover.

I flip through the issue of a wedding magazine as I sat at the tuxedo store awaiting Gabriel to decide. He was currently in the back trying on a maroon tux and trying to decide if he liked the color. I had already decided that I was going to wear a black tux but gave Gabriel permission to act as the “bride” and wear whatever color he wanted since black went with everything. When he walks out in the maroon tux I smile and purr playfully. I walk over to him and kiss him lovingly.

“It looks lovely,” I say as I smiled and kiss him again.

Gabriel was blushing under me and the bridal assistants were gushing. I didn’t like having an audience to this intimate moment, but I guess it cannot be helped since I’m clueless when it comes to non-violent things.

Gabriel looks over at the assistants, “this is the one I want,” he said with a smile.

Even though I still worry about Gabriel and wonder if he’s ever going to be okay, I love seeing him happy just at this moment. He deserves happiness after everything he’s gone through with me. I just hope that happiness can last since reports of Triad trying to sabotage our wedding have been floating around since it was officially announced. Gabriel didn’t know of the reports, I didn’t think he really needed the weight of the Triad on him yet. Gabriel went back with the assistant to change into his normal clothing when I see one of my commanders beckoning me to the door.

“Can you inform him I’m outside when he comes back?” I ask the lady that was helping me.

The woman nodded and I went outside to my commander. He hands me a pack of photo stills they’d taken while on patrol, it showed several Triad members trying to set up shop in my area and deal drugs. I crumple one of the photos when I see the tell-tale signs of bomb-making.

“This place in this photo, I want it destroyed, do whatever you must to whoever is in inside but make sure they will not be getting in my way,” I growl as I look at my commander.

He could see the fury on my face and nods before heading off. I look up as Gabriel comes outside with a questioning glance.

“Don’t worry about it, it’ll be handled,” I say as I smile at him, “it’ll all be handled.”