Frozen Hearts

Twenty-Seven - Lucas

Gabriel has been suspicious of me for a few days now; I’ve been able to see the doubt every time I tell him it’s fine. He was different after visiting his dad in the hospital and I knew why, but he assured me that he would be okay, so I had to trust him. I had to put my faith in something other than myself. It wasn’t easy since just a couple of months ago we were fighting in the football field at school. I desperately wanted our lives to have a fairy tale ending, but at this point, I doubted that ever happening because of the rumors that have been bouncing around. A large group of triad members has just come to town having no doubt come here to sabotage our wedding.

The date has been set for the following week so I could only hope that the rumors were wrong. My men found the bombs in the hideout we raided and plans that belonged to the venue of our choosing, how they even knew what the venue was is another concern altogether, but now the suspicions of an attack on our wedding were confirmed. I had hopes that we had put that to rest when we raided the hideouts but now with the members coming to town, I sincerely doubted that. I decided last night I would tell the truth to Gabriel when I saw him today and let him make an informed decision on what he wants to do.

I look up when Gabriel comes into the front door and stands. I smile at him, “welcome home my love,” I say as he walks over to me.

Gabriel looks at me confused, “are you okay, Lucas?” He asks.

“I am, but I know you’ve been suspicious of me hiding something and truthfully I have been. I need you to join me in the war room please?” I ask as I walk over to him.

Gabriel nods knowing that something was serious if I was asking him to meet with me there. I had Salvador and Lynx already waiting inside the room for us. As we walk into the room and Gabriel saw my brother’s he immediately knew something was seriously wrong. I never summoned my brothers to the war room without good reason.

“What’s going on Lucas?” Gabriel asks. His tone had turned to a more serious and quieter one.

I take a deep breath and pull down the map of the Triad gangs, “last week during the tux fitting, one of my men came to me in the store and informed me about a string of Triad hideouts that had been popping up. I ordered a raid since bomb ingredients had been seen in the hideouts. Inside they found something that confirmed my worst fears, the triad had plans of our venue and knew exactly when we were going to be married,” I say with a pause, “I’m sure by now you’ve heard the rumors of the generals that came to town, I wish they were only that but,” I toss photo’s onto the desk, “those are photos of the generals as they were stepping off their private jet.”

Gabriel didn’t know how to respond as he looks over the files on the desk. He knew this was serious because no one outside of the wedding staff had known about our wedding and where it was
located.

“No one has been able to contact the baker for the cake,” Lynx said as he pushed himself off the wall and stands up straight.

I nod, “I believe they may have kidnapped some of our wedding staff and interrogated them for the information. We’re trying to find all the bombs and all the bomb-making locations, but I’m leaving the final decision to you. We can postpone another week and find ways to plan ourselves so no one else is at risk or we can go ahead with the wedding. As a long-time member of the mafia and gang world, I believe we should go ahead with the wedding as planned. If we back down it’s going to show that we are afraid of them and I don’t think that would be a good image for us as we’re up coming into the world as unified gang leaders,” I say as Gabriel looks over the files on the table.

“We also are in favor of continuing the wedding. Although, I am wary about doing so,” Salvador said, “I agree that backing down would show the fear that neither of you needs, but not backing down also means that you’re both at risk. Lynx and I will support either decision that you decide to make,” Salvador adds.

I walk around the table to Gabriel’s side and gently take his hand, I kiss it lovingly, “I won’t be angry if you decide to postpone. I’m okay with either decision,” I say to help him with the decision.

I didn’t want Gabriel to make the decision based on my feelings. I want him to make the decision based on the logic and information that is in front of him now, I hope that he wouldn’t cancel the wedding, but I also wouldn’t throw a fit or complain if he did. This isn’t just a wedding because we feel like it, this is a wedding to unite two of the largest gangs in Japan and whatever decision he makes we will follow through together. I had to remember I wasn’t alone anymore, I had someone to make these difficult decisions with, and if I am going to keep him then I must learn to be open and honest with him regardless of how hard that may be for me.