Frozen Hearts

Five - Lucas

My world was spinning when I felt and heard Gabriel approach me. I had put my layers back on so no one would see the blood soaking into my t-shirt, but I was beginning to think I’d left it untreated for a little too long when I could barely pay attention to the world around me. I look up at Gabriel and hear his light gasp, cold sweat had broken out on my skin and the color was nearly drained as I lost a substantial amount of blood. I tried to tell him I didn’t need help, but I couldn’t formulate the words so eventually, I gave in and nod to him.

I cautiously allow Gabriel to help me to the nearby bathrooms where I could rest against the wall. I had a feeling that I was going to faint if left untreated for long and Lynx had long since left so he could tell dad about Gabriel’s return. Gabriel lays me down against the bathroom wall and strips my layers until he gets to the last one. I could barely keep my eyes open, but I could see the guilt and panic in his eyes when my entire grey shirt was now a deep crimson color.

Gabriel’s shaking hands reached under my shirt and slowly pulled it above my head and over. I couldn’t keep my eyes open long enough to see his reaction to the stab wound pouring blood or the fact that the cuts on my arm were bleeding once again.

“Lucas…” His trembling voice calls my name and it sounds like music to my ears.

“D-Don’t…This...” I weakly gesture around my wounds, “it comes with the territory. I am the heir to this division,” I say as I gather my voice some.

“I know…but, you could’ve died. Why would you challenge me knowing you have these wounds? I mean, I know I still lost, but what if I wasn’t me, what if I was someone else from another gang like the Triad?” Gabriel asks.

I give a half-smile for the first time in years, “then I would’ve died. The great bloodthirsty Lucas would’ve finally fallen and someone else would’ve taken my place.”

Gabriel had what looks like tears in his eyes, but he doesn’t say anything else to me.

“Hey, Gabe, this may not be the time, but you do know now would be the time to complete your mission, right? You’ll never find me weak enough to kill ever again and I’m sure your father would be angry if you lost your chance,” I say with a weak chuckle.

Gabriel looks up at me like he can’t believe I just said that. I don’t move when I feel a sharp slap across my face and the sound of what appeared to be crying. I could vaguely make out the words I can’t from the crying and felt Gabriel hold my hand. It was nice feeling him hold my hand again because I wasn’t sure I’d ever feel it again. I internally laugh when the thought hits me that I’m in love with Gabriel and that has never changed. Truthfully, if anyone were to finally end my life, I would prefer it to be this man in front of me. In a way, as I pass out from blood loss, I kinda hope he does take the chance to kill me. Existing has become more painful than death may ever be.