Frozen Hearts

Six - Gabriel

I took a deep breath as Lucas passed out and ran through my options in my head, before making a decision. There was no way that I’d be able to patch him up properly on the floor of the school bathroom, so I decided to take him back to my apartment and gently slapped his cheek to wake him.

“Wha...” Lucas grumbled as his eyes fluttered open.

“We need to get you off the cold floor, do you think you can make it to my truck if I help you?” I ask, earning a slight nod and carefully pulling him to his feet.

The trip to the truck was surprisingly smooth and I got Lucas situated in the passenger seat, before heading around to the driver’s side. I started the engine and with one quick glance over to make sure Lucas was okay, I set off towards the apartment.

Glad that I had chosen a place close to the school, I parked up and managed to get him inside. It took almost half an hour to clean the wound and stitch it, but, finally, it was all bandaged up.

“Thanks,” Lucas stated as I handed him a glass of water and some pain killers.

Unsure of what to say, I simply nodded and pulled out my phone as it started ringing. Excusing myself, I left the room and pulled the bedroom door closed behind me.

“Hey dad,” I greet as I answer, resting the phone between my ear and shoulder in order to wash my hands properly.

‘How was your first day?’

“It was... interesting,” I reply, “Not exactly what I was expecting, but not too surprising either...”

‘Did you fight well?’ he asks as if he already knew what had happened.

“Yeah, I gave as good as I got... Lucas has always been the stronger fighter and I walked in knowing that.”

‘Is he really the one in charge?’

“Yeah.”

Every word to my father felt like a betrayal to the boy currently lying on my bed, but lying to my father was out of the question and I found myself torn. Part of me knows that it is my mission to gain information on the Snakes... that is why I came back to town after all, but the other part, a much stronger part of me wants to protect Lucas and I know that I can’t do both.

The sad truth was that the whole situation was probably going to end with one of us dead, whether by each other's hands or another member of our gangs. Lucas’ words come back to my mind as I sit in silence, you’ll never find me weak enough to kill ever again and the mere thought of his blood on my hands brings a lump to my throat.

I’m weak, I always have been when it comes to Lucas and I have no doubt that that will probably be the reason I die young. It makes me wonder if it would have been better if I didn’t feel the things I do when it comes to him, or is that flame he ignites within my chest something to hold onto. Love is both a gift and a curse after all, at least that’s what my mother always says.

There was no switch when it came to matters of the heart, but there would come a time when I would have to choose between turning the page or closing the book on us completely.
♠ ♠ ♠
Enjoy ♥