A Light in the Dark

Chapter 2

I stared at the light growing at the top of my stairs, refusing to let my hand holding my wand shake. My cat began squirming in my arms but I refused to drop her as well. Midnight was valiant though; she eventually squeezed her way out and ran towards the stairs.

“Midnight!” I whispered, not being any louder than her padding paws. She simply meowed and started down the stairs.

“Expelliarmus!” A woman’s voice yelled and I watched a dark small fluff ball fly back and hit the wall.

I bit my hand trying not to scream, and yet not laugh. The scene of my cat flying back in the darkness was a scene of horror and humor. That’s something awful to say about my only pet that has lived more than two years.

“Tonks! Why on earth did you go hurting her cat?” I heard a rough raspy voice say in a harsh whisper. I pressed myself against the hallway wall, trying to see if I could find out if my cat was okay.

“Sorry! It scared me. It could have been an animagous you know, I’m sure there are some unregistered ones in the death eater’s circle…” the woman replied in the same harsh whisper.

Where was my cat? Why did she HAVE to be black?

“Hush!” I heard a man’s voice interrupt and the stairway filled with silence again along with a bright light pointing towards the wall only feet away. I stopped mid step forward towards my cat. Then I saw three tall shadows on the wall, and on the ground was my cat, only yards away. When I looked up from my cat I saw three figures standing there, looking at me. It took all my self control to keep myself from jumping back, screaming and shooting a random spell at one of them, preferably the woman.

“Jesse Rollins?” the raspy voiced one asked.

I stepped forward, my wand pointing at all three. May as well stop hiding.

“What do you want?”

“We’re here to save you!” A young woman pointed her lit wand at me. From the light I could see her large grin and purple spikey hair. She looked only a few years older than me.

“The woman who just threw my cat across the hall wants to save me? Who are you?” I laughed sarcastically.

“Oh pardon me-“

“We don’t have times for introductions. It’s almost 11:50.” A tall man stepped forward pointing his lit wand at himself to reveal his face.

“Professor Lupin!” I said in shock as I relaxed my hand around my wand.

“Hello Miss Rollins. Um, is your trunk packed?”

“Partially-“

“Well we should get on that then before they get here.” A short fat man stepped forward limping to one side on his cane. His wand was not lit, but now that I saw his dark figure I could recognize his voice.

“Moody too?”

“Yes, but who cares about that old hag, let’s get you packed!” The woman jumped forward and pulled me back down the hallway to my room.

“Alrighty then.” I let the cat throwing stranger drag me to my room.

“Oh this is beautiful!” The woman, who told me her name was Tonks, exclaimed at a dress hanging on the outside of my closet. She was grabbing whatever she could find in my room and just threw it in my trunk.

“Oh yes, that’s the gown I wore to the Yule Ball last year.” I smiled slightly as I ran my hand along the black lace hymn of the smooth silky red dress. “It looks even better on.” I grinned at Tonks as she sat on my trunk forcing it to lock close.

“I bet it does. You’re absolutely stunning. You got your mother’s sincere and eloquent form, and your father, oh; you have his gentle eyes and apparently headstrong attitude.” Tonks looked at me with a partial smile, and in amusement. Like a little girl seeing her first dress.

“You knew my father?” I turned my whole body towards her. Tonks simply nodded as she pulled out her wand and levitated my trunk. “Well, can you tell me-“

“Tonks, Jess!” Lupin suddenly ran into my room. “Tonks, there are figures appearing in the premises, their slowly closing in on the house.”

“Oh great,” she groaned. “Jess, stay close to me, keep your wand out too. You can apparate correct?”

“Yes,” I had to force the word out, Tonks tone of voice had suddenly changed to haste and seriousness.

“Good you can apparate with me then.” She forced the trunk out of my room.

“Where’s Moody?”

Tonks looked at Lupin.

“He’s at the top of the stairs, just in case they try getting in.” He replied.

“Okay well then I think-“

Tonks was interrupted with a cry of “STUPIFY!” The cry had been so loud and sudden it made even Lupin jump.

“Who said that?” Tonks pulled the trunk back into the room with her wand and now she looked at me. When I didn’t reply she continued. “Oh we’ll find out sooner or later, Jess grab your dress and hold unto me. We have to at least get you out of here.”

I stared at her for a second, who was trespassing in my house?

“But why-“

“Just do it Jess!” Lupin interrupted me. “Please, the Weasley’s are waiting for you.”

The sudden urgence of the moment suddenly changed. I was going to go see my second family, and my best friends. “Well get on with it Jess!”

I quickly turned and reached for my dress, and in the same movement I heard a cry of multiple “Expelliarmus!” and the feeling of being pushed. I hit the wall then fell to the ground clutching my dress. I looked up to see a black cloak fly across my room and the scene of Moody landing on my bed. Lupin was a foot away from me trying to get back up, his wand pointing up to another hooded figure. Tonks had dropped my trunk which had landed only inches from her feet as she layed on the floor. She then grabbed my ankle.

“Take a deep breath Jess!” She yelled as the hooded man next to my bed, who seemed to have been the one to attack Moody, looked at me. Then as he raised his wand I was sucked into nothing. The last scene of Lupin jumping on the man, red sparks and cold, piercing blue grey eyes is all I remember from that night. The eyes had seemed familiar, but distant. Those eyes would haunt my dreams for weeks. Especially as I laid in darkness for what seemed hours, but was days.
♠ ♠ ♠
Um, comment?
=]