A Light in the Dark

Chapter 3

”Where are you going?” A woman with long brown curls reached after a man in a black cloak. He had one hand on the front door knob and one holding his wand. His head quickly snapped towards the woman as she grabbed his arm.

“You know what I’m doing, and you also know he deserves it.” He replied in a deep calm tone, but it seemed as if this argument hadn’t just started. A little girl was sitting in the living room, watching her parents. She seemed to only be two and she clung to her teddy bear as she watched them.

“Yes I do know he deserves it! He caused the death of MY best friend! But I’m not going to go kill him, think of the consequences! He will be avenged-“

“I don’t care about the consequences.”

“Since when did you ever Padfoot?”

The man stared at his wife, and she slightly smiled.

“Please, stay. You could get yourself killed.”

“Oh you know as well as I that he couldn’t defeat me in a duel!”

“Really!” The woman let go of her husband. “Fine. Leave your daughter, leave me! I will not take any part in what you do. Lily would not want it! Tonight was going to be something special-“

“James would want it.” The man interrupted her.

“Well wait, please. It’s our anniversary-“

“This, needs to be done or it won’t ever be done.” The man opened the door.

“Pad-“

“Daddy!” The little girl finally stood up and she ran towards her father. Everything seemed to stop, except for the bouncing black curls of the little girl and her small quick legs. The man looked at her, and his eyes twinkled, but only for a second. His daughter was running.

“Where you goin?” She looked up at her father and held unto his cloak. The man looked at his wife and a tear slid down her cheek.

“I’m going out for a little bit.” He ducked down and held unto his daughters tiny hands. The girl stared at his huge hands compared to hers.

“Will you back tomorrow?” She looked at him with her shiny brown eyes. He smiled.

“I sure will be, and I’ll take you out to play on the flying stick.”

The girl’s face now glowed as she smiled. Her daddy wasn’t leaving her.

“Okay. I’ll go bed so we can play.”

The man rubbed his thumb against her soft cheeks. “Okay. I love you JayJay.”

“Bye Daddy, I lofe too! Don forget! Haf fun!” The little girl giggled as she ran up the stairs, passing her mother as she hummed a song. The man stood up and looked at his wife. She only stared at him, no emotion on her face.

“I love you too Abby,” He leaned in to kiss her. “I’ll be back-“

Abby turned her head. “We both know that won’t happen,” she looked at the ground.

They stood in silence for a moment as they heard their daughter upstairs singing to her bear. Finally the man stood up straight, gave one last look at his wife then walked out.

At the slam of the door, their daughter looked down the stairs to see her mom fall to the ground in tears.


My eyes fluttered open as the memory from deep within my head ended. It was a dream, yet it seemed so familiar. I stared at the old wooden ceiling above my head for a few moments. My eyes were blurred, but eventually adjusted to the ceiling. Where had that dream come from?

I sat up in this stiff bed, ignoring the pain in my head and upper back. I looked around, I was in a rather large room containing three beds, I was on the bed in the farthest side. The room reminded me of an old haunted house, their were cobwebs in the ceiling corners and dust on the night stands and floors. The room creaked as I sat up in the bed. Out the dirty window I could see it was day, but it was darker inside, only a dimly lit lamp was my guide. So I turned my body and slid myself off the bed. I had no idea where I was, but I was going to find out. As I walked towards the door on the opposite corner of the room I tried my best to not fall over from my dizziness. Eventually I pulled the door open and stepped out.

The wooden floors creaked all around me, this house seemed ancient. To my right was the continuation of a stair case, so I walked towards it. I clung to the banister railing as I slowly made my way down two floors, not having much light and hoping to not collapse from being dizzy. When I got to the bottom I made a U turn and followed a hallway from beside the stairs. Now I could hear muffled talking and laughter. I was starting to wonder if it could have been death eaters and Voldemort in that room which my eyes were set to, but I continued on. My wand was in the jacket I had worn, what I thought was, last night. So I had it close by.

Finally I was standing in front of the door. I knocked. Still laughter and talking. Then I knocked again, but louder. I could use a moment to annoy them. At this knock it silenced.

“Well get it Author!” I heard a familiar voice say. “Maybe they’ve returned-“
At this point the door was swung open. Then before my eyes could adjust to the sudden bright light of the room I was suddenly tackled at the sound of, “Jesse!” from two very familiar voices.

My best friends, Fred and George Weasley.
♠ ♠ ♠
That was kind of short, but I hoped you liked it anyways!