But Have You Seen This Girl?

Daddy?

It was the day Michael and Jimmy would be heading back to Buffalo, the past week had gone by faster than she would have liked it go. Alex had asked Kait if he could go, and of course she couldn't deny him of his parental rights. But Jack, not in so many words but Jimmy had invited him, basically he cried bloody murder until Jack got into the car with them. The ride was awkwardly silent as Alex kept his eyes on the rode, all the while taking quick glances at Kaitlyn who sat in the passenger seat. Jack behind Kaitlyn, with Jimmy in the middle, and Michael on the other side.

She sat there in hear seat fiddling with her fingers as she looked beyond the front windshield, she could see the airport from where they were. There it was again! You know that burning sensation you get when someone's staring at you? Alex has been staring every once in awhile, almost to the point of the car swerving. This time unlike the other times she refused to turn and make eye contact with him, as she looked at the cars passing by.

"ALEX! Keep your eyes on the road!" Jack exclaimed.

The car swerved, Alex hit the brakes. He had ran through a red light.

"Shit!" Alex exclaimed as we all braced ourselves until we cleared the intersection.

Kaitlyn could feel her heart in her throat, "Alex! You almost killed us back there!"

"But I didn't!" he stressed.

"But you could've!" she yelled back.

"But didn't!"

"Could've!"

"Didn't!"

"COULD'VE!"

"DI-"

"Shut up!" Michael yelled from the backseat, "Shit, no wonder you guys didn't last in a relationship."

Silence filled the car.

Jimmy stood in front of Kaitlyn as she was squatting on the ground, fixing his light blue collar shirt, "I'm going to miss you Jimbo," she started as she finished messing with his shirt, "Now you be good for Uncle Michael and Auntie Michelle okay?" He nodded his round head. "I'll be home soon, I love you", she finished as she pulled his into her arms hugging him, his little arms trying their hardest to wrap around her. "I love you Jimmy", she whisper as she kissed him on the cheek, and let go, giving Alex his time with Jimmy.

She walked away taking glances at Alex and Jimmy, as she walked over to Michael. "I'll be home in a couple weeks. You take care of him Michael." She warned. He laughed. "I'm serious Michael, I don't want any hospital calls!"

"Aw you're no fun Kaitlyn!"

She laughed, and shoved him in the shoulder, "Don't worry baby sis, he'll be fine."

"I know, it's just hard, I wish you guys could stay." she complained.

"I know, but it was hard enough for me to get a week off work, this is the best I could do."

"Well thank you Michael. It means alot."

"Anything for my baby sister." he said hugging her once more before walking over to Alex and Jimmy.

"Say bye to Mommy Jimmy!" Michael told Jimmy as he and Jimmy walked past the ticket collector.

"Bye momma!" he said waving his little hand.

"Bye baby!"

"Bye Daddy Alex and Daddy Jack!" his little voice yelled.

Kaitlyn had never told Jimmy what to really call either of the guys, Daddy would be fine for Alex, since he was after all Jimmy's biological father, but Jack. Jack wasn't Jimmy's dad. They both just exchanged looks and waved back to Jimmy, as they watched them both board the plane. If she thought the ride there was going to be awkward, she had no idea what the ride home was going to be.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Hey Jimster."

"Hi daddy Alex."

Alex laughed to himself, he liked the sound of Daddy Alex.

"I'm going to miss you buddy. Hopefully I'll see you really soon, okay? Maybe you and Mommy can come visit me sometime. Would you like that?"

Jimmy was beaming, he nodded his head vigorously.

"Good, I was hoping you would say that."

Jimmy looked sad, the happiness that was there on his face, had quickly left.

"What's wrong kiddo?" Alex asked as he poked Jimmy in his tummy.

Jimmy grabbed Alex's finger and held it, "Come home." Alex looked at Jimmy as he tugged on Alex's finger, and repeated himself, "Come home."

Two words, from a one year old, had had the most powerful effect on him in all of his life. Two words, that meant everything. He looked at Jimmy dead on, and looked at him sincerely, "As soon as I can, promise."

Jimmy smiled and let go of Alex's hand and ran over to Michael who was waiting with his hand extended. Alex joined Kaitlyn and Jack as they watched the two leave. Promises had never meant much to Alex before, but this promise was going to break that assumption that everyone had about Alex and his so called promises. He was going to keep this one.