Having a Split Personality

Arcturis's Assignment

I woke up with my body aching all over. I slowly opened my eyes, for fear of there being too much light. I had no reason to worry about there being too much, though. Instead, it was pitch-black and I could not see anything. I started to panic and felt around for something, anything. All I could feel was a plain floor underneath me. I closed my eyes, trying to make it better. Suddenly a very bright light shone on me. I cautiously opened an eye, squinting. It seemed to be a spotlight. I looked around, but everything else was still pitch-black.

"Glad to finally see you," a voice said from somewhere. I could not tell where. "You seem to have developed a nasty temper after the 'modifications'. Oh well, nasty temper or not, you will do as I say."

"I will never do anything you tell me to do," I said angrily.

"I beg to differ," the voice said, "You see, I have something, or should I say someone, who could quite easily be killed if you choose not to cooperate."

"What are you talking about?" I shouted, "And who even are you?"

"I'm Arcturis, the one who ordered his 'assistants' to make you what you are. And what I'm talking about is that I can easily press a button and your daughter Estelle will be killed."

"I don't believe you," I said, a bit quieter than last time.

"Well you will. You see if I wanted to, I could make you kill her. I'd just rather not, seeing as how that would draw attention to you and would make things a bit more difficult."

I stood there, scared that he could me kill Stella. I finally found my voice and asked, "Wh-what do you want me t-to do?"

"I'd rather not tell you exactly what at the moment, but, for now, I want you to master your powers so you'll be ready to complete your task. And to start off, I want you to kill somebody and not in any old way. I want you to suck someone's blood."

I felt myself go pale. I didn't want to suck anyone's blood. Besides, how was I supposed to; it's not like I was a vampire... I think.

"But how? I'm not a vampire? Am I?" I asked, "They aren't real."

"They aren't, but I found a way to make one. They've always fascinated me," Arcturis said, "Only sunlight doesn't bother you and you only have an extreme thirst for blood when you are supposed to kill someone. Also, your fangs are retractable and your reflection can still be seen."

'Wow, I'm like part vampire now. Too bad I have to kill. '

"Now go kill someone but make sure no one finds out what you are or else they'll have to die," Arcturis said threateningly.

Suddenly a path lit up to a door. I he'sitated a moment before slowly walking out. It was pitch-black for a moment and I feared I was still trapped in the room, but then I could see again and I found myself somewhere in the city.

I looked around, mulling over my thoughts. 'Fuck. I'm stuck doing whatever this guy Arcturis says or else he's gonna make Stella die. '

I looked up at the sky; tonight there was a full moon.

'Man, it's already night. Damn it! I missed band practice, now what am I gonna tell Billie Joe? '

I was subconsciously watching a teenage girl who was walking into an alley.

'Blood... '

Getting an idea, I went behind a building and looked around, making sure no one was watching.

'Now what should I try transforming into? ' I thought for a moment. 'I know: German shepherd puppy; small, dark, and quiet. '

I concentrated on a picture of a German shepherd puppy in my mind's eye. I felt a great pain and couldn't see. Then I felt nothing. When I could see and feel again, I was exactly what I wanted to be.

I quickly and stealthily trotted down the alley the girl had gone down. She was still there. Carefully I trailed her, then I sprang and pounced on her, changing back to normal in mid-air. I felt my fangs retract as I pinned her to the wall, despite her struggles, quite easily.

Her blue eyes widened in fear. I swept her hair out of the way and bit her neck as if I had been doing this forever. I drank and instantly felt blissful and strengthened. I kept drinking; I couldn't' have stopped if I wanted to. She let out an ear-piercing scream, until she was dead. I heard footsteps coming this way. I changed back into a German shepherd puppy and let my fangs retract. I trotted out of the alley, unseen and unnoticed. I licked up the remainder of blood around and in my mouth.

Knowing nobody was looking, I changed into a pigeon, the same pain and blindness that had accompanied me when I first transformed. I flew home quickly, feeling both empty and satisfied at the same time.

'What's wrong with me? '

I landed on my porch and changed back into a human. I went inside. There were two messages on the answering machine. I pressed the play button. The first one had a slightly annoyed Billie Joe speaking.

"What are you doing?! Why aren't you answering your cell phone?! Or phone?! In case you forgot, WE HAVE BAND PRACTICE!"

Ok, so maybe he was really annoyed.

"Well when you get this," he sounded a bit calmer, "Call me back!"

The message ended. The next one came on; it was Tré.

"M-Mike? You need to get to the hospital. B-Billie's... He's hurt!"

I stood there in shock. Finally I shook myself out of it. I grabbed my keys and ran to get into my car. I sped towards the hospital, hoping Billie was okay.

I found out what room he was in and entered it. Tré was in there staring at Billie with red eyes; he had been crying.

Billie's eyes were closed. On his right cheek was a cut about an inch and a half long, his lip was busted, there was a gash on his forehead, and the rest of his body seemed to have cuts and bruises too. He looked beat up... Bad.

Tré finally spoke, "He got beat up by some dudes when he went out looking for you, after we waited for you for an hour."

I just stood there, shocked.

"He- he also got shot. Twice. They said- they said h-he might not make it... " Tré's voice trailed off.

Then, as if Tré's words were magical, the heartbeat monitor went flat.