Paper Planes

Ten

"What about this one?" I asked her, inferring about a long-ish blue dress. We were in a dress shop near her house.

Her face soured. "This isn't the old country," she joked. I looked back down at it and nodded. "This dress is perfect!" she said.

"If I were a stripper, maybe."

She scoffed and added it to her pile. We had about ten dresses each in our hands already, and they kept piling up.

"What about this dress?" I asked her.

"It's a dinner party, and judging by what he told me, you're going to want a shorter dress."

I groaned and continued the search.

The changing room was a sea of taffeta as I plowed through dresses.

Too tight.
Too big.
Too red.
Too slutty.
I look like a nun.

Et cetera, et cetera.

We finally found a suitable dress that we both agreed on.

I just hope Tucker likes it.

"Let's go to Chick-fil-a," she said.

We drove to the mall so we could shop around some stores she said she had to show me.

I had a chicken sandwich and then we walked around and talked.

"Hold on, my phone's ringing," she said. "Hello? Yeah, hold on," she said, She mouthed that she'd be right back.

I flipped through little racks of dresses and shirts. I walked towards where she was talking.

"Well, you just watch it. She's been through a lot."

I rolled my eyes. If she was talking about me, she should stop. I haven't been through anything that terrible.

"It's suitable," she said. "Of course, everyone will be jealous," she said, still sounding a little pissed. "Don't you start using her." She paused. "She's not using you."

If that's Tucker, which I'm pretty sure it is, he's right. I am using him.

He's marrying me so I can stay in the country. Sure, I clean his house, but he could have just hired a maid.

"I have to go," she said. She turned around. "How much of that did you hear?" she asked me.

"I couldn't hear from over here. Did something happen to one of the kids, or something?" I asked/

"No, no. Everything's fine. Let's go home. We can make you look totally sexy for the party," she said.

A worried look flashed across my face. She laughed. "Don't worry, you'll be fine. I'll keep you... decent."

I laughed back. "You better."
♠ ♠ ♠
http://www.promgirl.com/shop/dresses/viewitem-PD298343

Baby blue or black. You pick, depending on what you picture the character to be.

Sorry it's short. I'm trying to make this story more interesting.