Paper Planes

Twelve

It was an awkward car ride home. I bit my lip as he jerked the car back into the lane for the hundredth time. "Well, at least we got out of there early," he offered with a snort.

I smiled. "Yes."

Another long awkward silence.

He flicked on the radio. Western music is so weird.

"Um, so did you have fun?"

"I talked to your boss for forty-five minutes."

He laughed. It seemed to sober him up a little bit. "What did he have to say."

"He said you want to release everything by January or something."

"Yeah. It means I'll have to work a lot more." He didn't sound too happy.

"Well, my Visa expires sooner than that, I think."

"So you were thinking of getting married around that time?" he asked.

The music was shut off by now. All I could hear was foreign words coming out of my mouth and a desperation in his voice.

"If you want out of this, I really would not blame you. It's a really big favor. Just please tell me soon."

"I wouldn't have said I'd do it if I were going to back out." He looked over at me and smiled. It seemed very sincere.

"Thank you," I said, leaning over and kissing him on the cheek.

Tucker seems to be nicer when he's drunk. I looked down and tried to accept that he was really okay with this. I tried the rest of the way home.

The next morning I woke up, fixed my bed linens on the couch, where I belong, and went straight to the kitchen. I looked through the cupboard and fridge for the food that I'd bought to make Tucker a packed lunch. I had googled it. (Is it obvious that Vera taught me that word?)

I made him a sandwich. I wasn't sure what he liked, so I put American cheese, bologna, turkey, ham, mayonaisse, lettuce, tomato, pickles, olives, mustard, and provolone on a sub-style bread.

I wrapped it up in clear plastic. I put a few of the sweets I made in the bag also. I didn't have a bag to use, so I used a canvas napsack I stole from Vera's trunk. She won't be missing it. I also placed a bottle of water in there, though I doubt it will still be cold when he drinks it. I placed a washed green apple in the sack, remembering that one website said I should pack a balanced lunch, including something healthy. Like fruit. I stuffed some napkins in there and wrote a little note, "Hope work is well, Love Padma" in there, just as the website suggested. I'm very good at writing English. Faster than speaking it actually.

I brushed my teeth in the guest bathroom. I crept into Tucker's room to look at the time. It's almost eleven! He usually wakes up at ten. He must have slept through his alarm.

"Tucker?" I nudged him. Oh, dear, this is awkward. "Tucker, you're late for work."

No response.

"Tucker," I said a little louder, pushing him a bit this time. He made a noise that sounded like a groan. "Tucker, wake up."

No response.

I rocked his body to the best of my ability for a good minute before he just rolled over, still asleep.

"Tucker, now you wake up this instant!" I tried.

I sighed and sat down on the bed next to him.

He rolled back over and grabbed on to my body. I jumped a little and started slapping his arms. "Tucker, stop that! I'm barely dressed, this is highly inappropriate!"

He mumbled something and started to move over, forcing me to lay down a little. "Tucker, I swear, you better... you need to... oh just wake up!" I sighed, finally giving in. I closed my eyes and tried to block out this situation.

I guess I must have fallen asleep, because I woke up to his voice. "I knew you couldn't resist me," he said.

"Excuse me?" I said, groggily.

"You crawled into my bed last night! I don't remember you falling asleep in here. Well, actually I don't really remember much from last night."

I looked down. "Oh, well, I actually only came in here..." I looked at the clock "an hour ago to wake you up. You grabbed onto me and dragged me into bed."

He smirked and looked at me.

"You don't believe me?" I asked, jokingly, crossing my arms.

He looked me over playfully, stopping at my left hand. My smile fell and I got up from the bed. "But really, Tucker, you are late for work."

He looked at the clock. "Okay. So, um, could you like, get out of my room so I can change?"

I let out the breath I'd been holding in. The air had gotten thick and uneasy to breath. "S-sure. I'll go make you some breakfast. Anything in particular?"

"I don't know, Padma," he said, irritation clearly showing through his voice. "Just eggs and sausage, or something."

I nodded and scurried out of his room to the kitchen.

He is not happy. I'm so stupid. To think he'd actually want to go through with this. To think he is actually happy with me. This idea is so... stupid!

I cooked the sausage first. Maple sausage, his favorite. I placed them on paper towels on a plate, just as mother taught me. Lay them on an absorbent surface. I cracked two eggs in the grease left from the sausage. Two eggs, over medium. I popped two slices of bread in the toaster and fixed a plate together for Tucker. I set the salt, pepper, a fork, and a knife on the bar on the counter.

I put the finished plate on the counter just as he walked down stairs. I poured him a glass of orange juice and set it in front of him as he started chewing ferociously. He swiped the glass of orange juice, startling me a little, and swallowed down half of it.

I leaned against the counter and looked down at my bare feet. I feel like such a stranger.

I heard his eating slow down a little and peeked up, still facing down, just a little. I saw him looking at me with pity in his eyes. Who wouldn't pity the poor immigrant whose lived a life like I have? That's the only reason he's doing this. He may be a slob, but he does have a little bit of a heart.

I didn't notice that he had gotten up until the clang of his fork hitting the sink hit my ears. I jumped up. "Sorry," I said.

"For what?" he asked.

"Not paying attention. I meant to get your plate."

He just nodded and looked away. "Well bye."

I bit my lip. I looked at his lunch just as I heard the door open. "Tucker, wait!" I said loudly.

I ran towards the door and handed him the sack. "What's this?" he asked, peeking inside.

"It's a lunch. I saw at your office that many of the men you worked with had brought lunch. I figured I'd pack you one also," I offered timidly.

He smiled wide and hugged me. I stumbled back a little, but he caught me. He hugged me for a while. "You know I meant it. Last night. I'm not backing out," he said quietly.

I reached my arms up around him. "I know. And I don't know how to thank you enough."

He backed out and smiled at me. "Well, subs and brownies help." I smiled. It started getting awkward again. I think only to me, because I didn't know if he was going to kiss me on the cheek like all of the couples on TV do when the man leaves. "Well, I'll see you tonight. Bye!'

I stared awkwardly until the door shut. Then I made my way to the kitchen to make more brownies.
♠ ♠ ♠
Awe, I love Padma.