Are You Insane? No I'm in Love!

I Like My Coffee Black, Just Like My Metal.

Jennifer Lee‘s POV

“Holy crap, this place is huge” I said getting out of the jeep.

“I know, I said the same thing on my first day here. You’ll get used to it” said my dad as he began walking toward the entrance of the facility.

Third Person POV

In order to get into the actual building, both Jen and Mr. Blackwell had to go through a series of rigorous security tests.

“Dad, you’ve been working here for five years. Don’t you think they would be able to trust you by now?” Jen question as she handed over her shoes to a security guard.

“It’s not for me Jen, everyone has to go through it. It’s for our safety.”

“Well everything seems find and- HEY! Careful with those shoes, they cost me a pretty penny you know!” she yelled over to the careless guard who literally threw her shoes onto the floor once they were finished checking.

“Bitch” she muttered under her breath.

“Common kiddo, we’ve got a ways to go!” he father called out as Jen raced to catch up.

The two traveled down a few halls, and made a couple of turns before finally reaching her father’s office. “Alright to get to the archives, you go down two halls and make a left. It should be the third door on the right.”

She nodded and was just about to head down when a meek voice called out from behind, “Um… excuse me Doctor Blackwell, might I be able to talk with you?”

Jen turned around to see a tall man with brown hair and blue eyes that were hidden behind a pair of glasses. He seemed to be the kind of man who was mocked in high school for being a complete bookworm.

She also found him to be quite cute.

“Oh, hello Jonathan, how are you doing today?” asked Mr. Blackwell

“I‘m doing very well thank- oh my, who do we have here?” the man shifted his gaze over to the girl.

“Oh let me introduce you two. Jennifer Lee, I’d like you to meet one of my co-workers and acquaintance, Doctor Jonathan Crane. Jonathan, this is my daughter, Jennifer Lee” her father motioned.

Crane stuck out his hand, “Pleasure to make your acquaintance young lady.” Jen could feel herself blushing as she put out her own hand; but instead of a firm handshake, the Doctor leaned down and placed a small kiss on her hand.

This of course, really made her blush.

“So, any particular reason you’re here Miss Jennifer?” he cocked his head to the side.

“Oh, I’ve wanted to become a psychologist for a while, and my father got me a small job here; but sadly, all I get to do is file papers in the archives” she smiled over to her dad.

“Well what a coincidence, I’m heading over there right now. Would you care to walk with me?”

She looked over at her dad, who gave a small nod. “Alright sweetie, I’ll stop by occasionally to check on you. Be good and I love you” and with that, he walked into his office.

Jen turned her attention back to Mr. Crane who then held out his arm.

“Shall we?”

Jen smiled, and took his arm as they both headed for the archives.

*******************************************************************************

Jennifer Lee’s POV

“Wow, this place is really, uh… really…”

“Small? I know, but at least everything is easy to find” Mr. Crane stated as he flipped on the light, “I assume you already know how to file, right?” he asked, while shuffling through some papers.

“Yeah, I’m good” I said looking around before something caught my eye. It was a file that had been placed on top of a drawer.

“You know, you can open it if you like. No one’s gonna find out” Doctor Crane whispered from behind. Slowly I opened the file to find a few papers. The top one was a criminal profile. It read:

The Riddler
Alter Ego: Edward Nigma
Occupation: Professional Criminal
Known Relatives: None
Base of Operations: Gotham City
Height: 6'1"
Weight: 183 lbs.
Eyes: Blue
Hair: Red

“The Riddler, eh?” I questioned.

“Oh, this guy. Edward Nigma, or the Riddler as he’s called, is a man who delights in the setting up of a crime and the warnings are always sent in the form of a riddle. He discovered how fun and challenging puzzles was when he was a young boy, and he gradually turned to crime as he got older” Doctor Crane recited the criminal’s short biography.

“Hmmm… so he leaves a riddle every single time? Sound's like the calling card of a narcissist to me” I said, putting the papers back into the file.

“How can you tell?” Mr. Crane asked, intrigued by my thesis.

“Well, for one thing, Nigma can’t commit a crime without leaving a self-incriminated clue behind. If you were a regular criminal and you just committed a crime, you just wouldn’t want anyone to know, right?” I asked Mr. Crane, with him shaking his head, “Well, for a narcissist, they like to thumb their nose in the law enforcement, defying them to catch them. That kind of attention seeking behavior is narcissism” I finished.

When I looked over at Doctor Crane, I could tell he was impressed, which I found to be surprising. Usually, this would be the time my friends would be telling me to shut the eff up.

“Ms. Jennifer, I'm quite impressed. Perhaps you would like to get a coffee with me?”

I looked up at him and smiled, “Sure Mr. Crane, what flavors do they have here?”

“Are you kidding me, the coffee is shitty here. I was talking about real coffee. Oh and please, call me Jonathan.”

I hesitated, “Um, alright, but my father said-”

“It’s perfectly fine. I’ll talk to him later; c'mon, let’s go. Besides you have an adult with you. It‘s not like you‘re going by yourself” with that, he took me by my arm and walked out the door, and into the hallway.

“So Jennifer, how do you like you’re coffee?” Jonathan asked.

"Black, like my metal.”
♠ ♠ ♠
I'd like to thank http://www.darkknight.ca/people.html for supplying me with villain bios and also, History Channel-The Psychology Of The Dark Knight 3/5 for helping me with the psychology. =]

And yes people, the last part of the chapter is an MSI reference.
Don't forget to keep the comments coming! ^_~

XOXO | J