The True Horror Began On Friday 13th

Thirty Seven

“Gerard do you think you can just walk out of hospital?” Donna hissed, trying to cease from shouting because Charlie was doing enough of that for all of us, “What kind of example are you setting?!” She said, her voice raising on the last word. Charlie turned his head to see what the noise was about. He saw Gerard and, like the old saying goes, shit hit the fan. He started screaming and fidgeting, obviously wanting to be held by him.

Gerard bit his lip proudly and folded his arms. Donna let out an exasperate sigh before leaving the room promptly, allowing Gerard to walk over and pry a squiggly Charlie from my hands. He propped Charlie on his hand like a seat, chuckling when he grabbed onto a clump of his hair and twitched eagerly, wanting something to happen.

“Daaaaaa!” Charlie yelled, his legs moving like a frog.

“He said my name –sorta!” Gerard said excitedly, bouncing on the heels of his feet. I didn’t tell him Charlie was probably just making random sounds for the hell of it, “Yes I am your dad, can you say mom? Can you? Can you?” Gerard cooed, his cooing getting cut off by the door bell ringing.

“I’ll get it, Donna sit down you’ve been on your feet all day,” Steve intervened, heaving himself up.

“No!” Gerard interrupted quickly, “I’ll get it!” he said, picking Charlie back up and wandering off down the hall, oblivious to the fact his pyjama bottoms were slowly slipping down his hips.

“Put your bum away!” Donna tutted, swatting at Gerard as he walked past her.

“No, I’m giving everyone a treat,” Gerard grinned, pulling them up his hips regardless. I leant my head back against Mikey’s arm, letting a tired yawn past my lips.

“Sleepy?” Mikey chuckled, “Charlie awake enough last night?” he asked, hooking him around my shoulders. I nodded and yawned, shutting my eyes silently. The room went silent and I suddenly wished I hadn’t closed my eyes, Mikey nudged me a little and I opened them slyly, watching as Gerard stood shiftily with my mum by his side.

My heart stopped and fell to my stomach.

I slowly peeled myself away from Mikey’s side, my cheeks growing redder and tears welling awkwardly in my eyes as mum clenched her black coat in her hands.

“I thought I might come before the baby was born… but uh I guess was a little late,” mum said, glancing at Gerard for a second. She looked at the floor whilst I padded along the floor and wrapped my arms around her neck, hot tears beginning to seep homelessly down my cheeks, “I’m sorry,” she murmured in my ear, stroking the back of my hair.

Donna left the room with Steve, Mikey following behind. Gerard stayed because he was part of the whole situation. We all sat down on the sofa, Charlie wedged into between Gerard’s legs because he kept trying to grab his hair. Mum wiped her eyes and looked at Charlie contentedly, chuckling weakly when he started blowing bubbles mindlessly, his chubby hands clenching Gerard’s knees.

“He’s adorable, got uh… Gerard’s lips definitely,” she smiled, obviously trying to make an effort.

“Yeah, he doesn’t really look like me too much,” I smiled, “I-I’m sorry I didn’t tell you about Gee before hand. I just… I didn’t know how to tell you and I didn’t wanna risk anything,” I murmured, clenching my hand, “I just really love him and if I told you then dad would have-“

“Darling don’t apologise. I’ve done some thinking and I shouldn’t have turned my back on you –or Gerard. I just want to forget about what happened before,” she said, running her hand through her hair once before giving me another small hug, “Well… let me take a look at my son in law,” she smiled, brushing the tears out from under her eyes.

“Mm… I’m not too great to look at,” Gerard mumbled, standing up never the less, handing me Charlie.

“Daaaaaaaa!” Charlie yelled, butting his head into my shoulder. Mum chuckled for a second and then smiled at Gerard as he stood there in his batman pyjama pants.

“You’re a very handsome young man, I can tell your little boy going to grow up just like you,” she smiled.

“God I hope not,” Gerard chuckled, sitting back down. Me, mum and Gerard talked for a while. Charlie just seemed to babble along to him self on my shoulder, occasionally squealing at his own answers.

It was surprisingly not too awkward, occasionally we'd all fall into extremely awkward silence but Charlie would always end that by squealing and kicking. Gerard was beyond amazing. He said all the right things at the right times and never once mentioned school which was good. It was nice to have her talking to me, she said we'd work on dad. Mum started asking about middle names so all three of us decided to lengthen Charlie’s name to ‘Charlie James Arthur Way’.

“Yeah I like it,” Gerard grinned, “Traditional, I like that,” he smiled.

“Could I hold him? If you wouldn’t mind?” mum asked, I smiled and nodded, dumping a now snoozing Charlie on her lap. For a while we all just talked, occasionally Gerard would kiss my cheek and neck, his arms permanently attached around my waist, “I’m glad it’s you looking after my daughter,” mum began as Gerard kissed me quickly, his cheeks turning rouge from being found out, “I can tell you’ve looked after her well,” she finished.

“Yeah, I try my best,” Gerard grinned.
♠ ♠ ♠
I needed a break from writing, so thats why I didn't update last night.
Just spend five minutes commenting, i wannaaim to get another star. Even if you think it sucks ass, just go nuts and tell.