Status: Completed

Bottom of the Blackest Hole

Ugly Doofus

I followed Josh quietly back to his – our – apartment. The check up went fine. The doctor said that I was healthy and that the baby would be too. But during the check up though, Josh was incredibly…awkward. I don’t know how, he just looked so strange in the hospital. It was a weird sight.

He fumbled a little with the keys before unlocking the door. He walked right in to the bedroom. I stared weirdly at his back before entering the apartment. There, on the couch, was David and Courtney. David was talking animatedly while Courtney looked like she wanted to jump off a cliff. She looked so bored that she looked like she was in pain. She nodded nervously at David and forced on a smile. I grimaced at her face.

I decided that she suffered enough and let out a loud cough. Both faces turned to look at me. David looked annoyed that I had apparently interrupted his story and Courtney looked relieved. She quickly got up and ran towards me.

“Hi!” She yelled. I winced a little.

“Hey,” I muttered and nodded a greeting towards David who just grunted.

“How’d it go at the doctor?” she asked. I led her towards the kitchen.

“Fine,” I shortly answered. At the sight of Sofia on the dining table, yelling at someone on the phone, I carefully tiptoed out. But…Courtney sneezed and Sofia turned around.

“Thank god you’re here, Bailey! The fitting’s in thirty minutes. I already narrowed down some places that you could have your wedding and honeymoon. They were all able to do the wedding on Wednesday so now you have to choose,” she gushed out excitedly, hanging up the phone.

“Wait…Wednesday? But today’s Sunday. That’s like…three more days,” I pointed out.

“Yup. So little time to plan everything out. But the sooner the wedding, the better.”

“Sofia,” I started, “Do we really have to go through all these planning? It’s just a wedding. Why can’t I just fly to Vegas and get married there or something?” Two gasps were let out. I tilted my head to see Courtney looking at me in horror.

“Not have a ceremony? Are you crazy?! It’s not every day you get married!” she yelled.

I let out a groan. “Not you too! That’s why you’re here! To protect me!” I whined.

Except they were already in their own conversation about my wedding. I glared at them both before stalking out and into the bedroom. I need a nap. I’d take one on the couch but David was there. And…the bed was so comfortable.

“I thought normal women were supposed to be excited about their wedding,” an amused voice said, “But then again, you’re anything but normal.” I looked sharply at Josh. He was sitting on the bed with a laptop on his lap. I ignored him and planted myself on the bed, the covers underneath me.

“What are you doing?” he asked, in the same amused voice.

“Sleeping,” I deadpanned, eyes already closed.

“You’re so frigid. Relax,” he murmured. I looked up; surprised somehow, he was smirking. Then I shut my eyes and turned to the left so that my back was faced him. He chuckled but didn’t say anything else.

I was just about to float into unconsciousness when I felt footsteps coming towards the bedroom. Sofia. I panicked. I got up from my rest position and looked from left to right to see where I could hide. I quickly climbed over Josh. He let out a groan when I squished his legs with mine painfully. I was so close to getting off the bed when he pulled me harshly back and let go. The force didn’t make me move entirely off him. It just made me straddled him. Just as I was about to fall over, my hands stabled me consciously.

I had to place them on either side of his head to balance myself. I sighed in relief when I wasn’t about to fall over or something.

He stared bewilderingly at me and my position. I narrowed my eyes. Then he looked at my lips in a teasing way.

“Don’t you dare,” I warned.

He looked at me innocently, “Do what exactly?” The footsteps are getting louder and the bathroom was so close now. I glared at him once more before pushing myself up and run to the bathroom and lock myself in. That is until he grabbed my waist before I even got up from him and then slammed his lips on mine. I shut my eyes tightly before letting out muffled screams. I grabbed his shoulder and tried to push him away from me but he was too strong.

Oh god, if somebody walked in and saw us, I’d-

“Jeez! Keep your hands off each other!” Sofia’s voice sounded out. He finally freed my mouth but his arms were still around me.

I was panting, but not from the – yuck – kiss but because I used so much energy to free myself. When he finally let go, I jumped off him and dashed into the bathroom, scrubbing and brushing my mouth hysterically. When I was done, I came out to see Josh still on the bed, with the computer on his lap, acting like nothing happened.

Sofia looked impatiently at me. “Come on! We have to get going!” I groaned loudly but she paid no attention to me.

I turned to look at Josh and muttered, “Ugly doofus,” before following Sofia out.

--

“I’ll see you guys later,” I muttered tiredly to Sofia and Courtney. Madame Humphrey, who was supposed to make my dress, poked me with needles for her own personal pleasure. I swear she was not making a dress. It seemed like every time I let out a monotone Ow, she was cackling in happiness.

They also made me stay while my best friend – cough, cough – and soon to be sister-in-law picked out their bridesmaid dress. The theme was white and light blue. They got to wear actual clothing. Courtney was my maid of honor. Surprise, surprise.

It was already midnight and I was dying to get some sleep. Thomas opened the door to the tall building just as the taxi Courtney and Sofia were in drove away. They became fast friends, I thought bitterly, traitor, I added when a picture of Courtney popped in my head.

“Thanks Thomas,” the old man smiled at me as I walked inside.

I got in the elevator and pressed on to the correct button. I unlocked the door wordlessly and went in meeting darkness. Either Josh was sleeping or he was out. I was hoping for the second. I flicked on the lights and quickly flicked it off when I saw David snoring on the couch. I raised my eyebrow before finding my way into the bedroom.

I turned the rooms light on cautiously but didn’t turn in back off when I saw Josh on the bed sleeping. He should suffer…

I dropped my bag loudly on the desk, on purpose too, the loud thing clattered.

“Ahh, home,” I exclaimed loudly. He didn’t shift or stir. I decided to just give up and take a shower.

When I was done, the lights in the room were off.

“Nice pajamas,” a voice in the darkness rang. I didn’t say anything as I hesitantly climbed on the bed.

“What? Not sleeping on the floor today?”

“Shut up,” I muttered.

The bed shift and I felt a presence very close to me.

“What are you doing?”

“Sleeping,” he murmured. He was so close that his breathe tickled my neck.

“Why are you so close? The bed is huge,” I said angrily.

“I like sleeping like this.” I huffed but stayed silence.

“Oh, and Bailey?” Josh as a couple of minutes later.

“What?” I hoarsely said, not opening my eyes.

“‘Ugly doofus’? Is that really the best you can come up with?”