Second Chances For Failed Romances

In The Middle

The bar was almost empty. A drunken man on one side of the room, and another man on the other side. After all, I’d chosen the cheapest bar of L.A. as my home for the moment.

“Two shots, Bacardi 151,” I told the bartender as he approached me.

“Sure?” he asked.

“Way sure,” I nodded.

As he set the two shots of the 75% alcoholic beverage before me, a man crept to my side.

“A pretty girl like you shouldn’t be alone in a bar like this at this time – especially taking 151 shots,” he said as he smiled my way. He was handsome, almost your typical California boy. Light brown hair, eyes that matched the ocean, and tan skin. All in all, you knew by his appearance that he was a part-time surfer, and by his attitude you could tell he was a full-time lawyer or business man.

I turned to look at him and turned away in giggles, “please don’t give me that bullshit.”

He seemed drawn back for a moment by my reaction, but then extended his hand, “I’m Vincent.”

I looked at him once more, then looked down at his hand; this time I was drawn back by his reaction. I only knew of one boy who had such drive. “I’m No-” I coughed, “I’m sorry, I’m Audrey.” I smiled as I shook his hand.

“Nice meeting you,” he smiled. Perfect pearly whites. This boy was the complete Gary Stu package. “So, Audrey, what brings you to this bar? If you don’t mind sharing.”

I paused for a moment and decided – what the hell, it’s not like Alex isn’t probably fucking that blonde at the restaurant. It’s not like I’m on his mind. I gave Mr.Gary Stu Vincent a try. “A terrible day. Well, for the most part.”

He nodded, knowing I didn’t want to elaborate.

“What about yourself?” I inquired.

“It was just the first bar I stumbled upon. And I was about to leave until I saw you sitting alone here, and I thought it would be a good idea to keep you some company,” he smiled. I laughed at how easy to read he was. I was mistaken, no one can compare to Alex. I can’t ever read Alex yet I feel like I know him more than anyone in the world. This guy, this guy was easier to read than Sarah Dessen material.

“I guess I should thank you?” I questioned him.

“If you want, you don’t really have to.” He smiled once more, his smile already becoming cheesy and annoying.

I swallowed up everything I saw wrong in him and decided it would be best if I’d forget about that for the night. “Want to join me in these shots?” I asked bluntly.

He furrowed his brow quickly but then nodded, “why not.”

“Cheers,” he said as he grabbed a shot glad and I grabbed the other, “to shitty days.”

I smiled at his stupidity and hoped the liquor was strong enough to make me forget how ridiculous this man was. Who cheers to shitty days? “Yeah, cheers,” I said as I clinked my shot glass against his and downed the burning substance.

--------------------------------------------------------------

One shot turned to six, and his drunken words and sober thoughts were all over the place. Yet, for once, my conscience decided to keep reminding me where my heart was. For once, I had a conscience.

“If you become like a big famous designer, don’t forget about me, because I am certain that I will love you,” he said as his face got closer to mine.

I downed a seventh shot quickly and noticed how it really hit me. I didn’t mind his face so close to mine anymore. Yet as soon as I was going to go for the big one, a kiss that should’ve started the night for us, I couldn’t. I backed away from his face and shook my face, trying to shake the thought of him off my mind. Somehow, Alex was everywhere to me.

“I’m sorry,” I said as I stood up, “I really can’t fucking do this,” I shook my head, grabbing a glass of water from the bar.

I downed the glass of water as he asked, “what do you mean?”

“Just, don’t worry about it. Bye,” I said as I walked out of the bar. Leaving the bill and the boner all to himself. Luckily, I stumbled my way home safe and sound. I don’t know how, but it happened.

I walked to the bathroom and puked my insides before giving myself a cold shower. Usually, this would be the treatment a shitfaced person would receive, in order to sober up. I didn’t care about sobering up, I wasn’t anywhere near shitfaced, I just couldn’t take it. I wanted in or out, but I didn’t want to be stuck in the middle.

Yet, there I was, stuck in the middle, unable to get in or out of needing, of love. So I puked and washed it all away.
♠ ♠ ♠
hmmmm (:
i think two more.
three maybe.
but i think two.

xoxo
Pansy

ps: thoughts? i've been lacking feedback lately big time :s