Status: Currently editing, updating and making it a better more cohesive story.

You Should Know

Love Remains the Same

“Good morning, sunshine,” Gabe smiled as I opened my apartment door for him.

“Good morning,” I smiled, wanting to just hug him and have him hold me.

“Are you ready?” He asked following me into the apartment.

“I am.” I said flicking of a few lights.

“Cute apartment by the way,” Gabe said looking around.

“Well, for my salary, it’s pretty nice. Where exactly are we going?” I asked putting on my jacket and grabbing my purse.

“It’s a surprise.”

“And by surprise you mean you have no idea.”

“I have a bit of an idea.”

I followed Gabe out of the apartment and to the street. It was a really awkward date. We weren’t touchy feely, we weren’t holding hands or anything like that as we walked and talked down the street.

“Exactly, how far are we walking?” I asked fifteen minutes into our little adventure.

“Just a bit further,” He smirked and I smoothly laced my fingers with his as we walked. We looked at each other and just smiled.

“Here we are.”

“I love this place,” I said excitedly.

“I know…”

“How did you know I liked this place?”

“You know, if you weren’t here with me right now, I’d assume you and Rob were dating,” He opened the door to the restaurant, which was a small little independent café that has the best breakfast I’ve ever had.

“Well, you know Rob is my ultimate fantasy. I didn’t act upon my urges though because I was afraid I wouldn’t be enough,” I said matter-of-factly as I passed by him and into the café.

“I think it would have been that you were too much for him,” Gabe laughed.

“That’s probably true. I do have a wild imagination,” The hostess seated us and gave us menus.

“So, am I doing okay on this date?” Gabe was nervous, which was incredibly endearing.

“We’re only twenty-five minutes in, but so far so good. Researching favorite things always gets points.”

“Then the second half may be all down hill,” He faked a panicked face.

“Don’t worry, I asked Meghan to call me at 7, just in case,” I set my menu down and just smiled at him. “What are you ordering?”

“The vegetarian breakfast sushi sounds really good.”

“It is good. The wasabi honey dipping sauce is so good.”

“What are you getting? Let me guess…see if I know you at all,” He scanned the menu.

“Or how much Rob told you,” I raised an eyebrow.

“He didn’t tell me, I swear. He just said this place was cool.”

“Okay then, what do you think I’m getting?”

“Either the waffles with the avocado and fruit topping or the egg, pepper jack and avocado sandwich,” He smirked as he put the menu down in front of him.

“I was going to get the sandwich with egg whites,” I said sarcastically, he was dead on.

“You and your sick love of avocadoes is what helped me narrow it down.”

The waitress interrupted us and took our order and brought us over our coffees and my orange juice.

“I don’t always pick stuff with avocadoes,” I defended.

“No, it’s avocadoes, horseradish or pineapple.”

“God, I haven’t changed,” I laughed drinking my coffee.

“You really haven’t, but you have at the same time,” He sighed taking my orange juice.

“You really haven’t changed either, mooch.”

“I just wanted to taste it,” He laughed.

“What’s going to happen now?” I asked, considering he was leaving at 9 a.m.

“I don’t know…I missed you though and I love you.”

“Me too. I just feel like this is weird. It almost feels like we’re trying to get closure before you leave? Or is it just me?” I never held back what I was thinking or feeling, which I thought was good. Open communication is key for a relationship, though sometimes my twisted mind would come up with some random musings and questions about life.

“It’s a first date; it’s supposed to be weird and don’t worry, I actually will call you after this.” Gabe grabbed my orange juice again.

“I may not answer if you continue to drink my orange juice,” I said taking the glass and putting it back in front my plate. “Excuse me; can we have another orange juice?” I asked as the waitress came with our food. She nodded and went to get Gabe a glass.

When we finished breakfast things were still a bit in the air. Gabe was about to leave and it was a lot to commit to and then go out on the road, which I was well aware of, but in my heart I knew I had made the right choice. I wanted to be with Gabe. I wanted to make it work and I was willing to take it really slow.

We walked out of the café and he put his arm around my shoulders and pulled me to his side as we walked. We walked to a corner and Gabe haled a cab. He opened the door for me and we got in. I was really curious as to where we were going.

“Where are we going?” I asked as he got in and shut the door.

“Union Square, please.” I raised my eyebrow at him. “You’ll have to wait and find out exactly what we’re doing.”

“We’re running out of time here…” I smiled.

“I know. It’ll be quick.”

I looked at the window as we drove from Brooklyn into the city, which was going to be really expensive.

“We could have taken the subway.” I said still staring out the window.

“If we took the subway I couldn’t just be alone with you,” He said sweetly. I looked at him and smiled and he cupped my face with his hand. I kissed his palm and then scooted closer to him in the cab. He put his arm around my shoulders and I put my one hand on his leg. I felt comfortable and loved and like I was totally supported. I felt happy.

We arrived at the edge of Union Square after some directions from Gabe to the driver and we got out. Gabe took my hand and lead me a few blocks down the road to an apartment building.

“Is this your love shack?” I asked with a wink.

“It’s where all the magic happens.”

“Did you plan this morning out to the minute? Should I start ripping my clothes off here?” I asked as we walked into the lobby and stood waiting for the elevator.

“Yeah, if you could just take your jacket and top off, we’ll be back on track,” He nudged me playfully. “This is it. You know I’m never home, but it’s decorated okay,” He opened the door and I followed him in.

“Nice place.”

“I like it. Now to why we’re here,” He started to walk down a hallway. “Come on!” He shouted and I walked down the hallway following his voice.

“Should I be shirtless by now?” I asked standing in the doorway of a balcony.

“It’d be nice, but not just yet,” He smiled. “But, since I’m gonna be away for a few months I was wondering if you would water my plants?” He asked. I just had to laugh.

“Of course, but I can't promise they’ll be alive.”

“They better be!” He said sarcastically and handed me a set of his keys. “And I want you to come here as much as you want…”

“Okay…”

“I’m not asking you to move in or anything, but I do want to start over.”

“I wouldn’t move in with you even if you asked me right now,” I laughed leaning against the doorway.

“I’m a perfect roommate. I’m never home,” Gabe deadpanned.

“I just really want to make this work too. Slow is good,” I walked toward him and wrapped my arms around him.

“Slow is good,” He brought his hands up to the sides of my face and pulled me in for a kiss, a real kiss.

“You’ve gotta go,” I said kissing his chest lightly.

“Come with me and see me off?”

“Of course.”

We left and met the bus and the rest of the band. I didn’t want to let go of Gabe’s hand, but he had to get on the bus.

“I am very excited for you guys. You are all going to be amazing,” I smiled at him.

“I’m going to miss you. Don’t kill my plants,” He said kissing my lips.

“I make no promises, but I will try my hardest to keep them alive,” I said kissing him back.

“I’ll call you. This will work.”

“I love you,” I said and pushed him towards the bus. He waved and I just smiled back. This was the happiest day and the saddest day all in one, but I felt really good, like this time things were going to run the course they were supposed to.
♠ ♠ ♠
You guys are the best! Thanks for all the comments! Thank you to all my readers and subscirbers!

Let me know know what you think! Leave me some comments :o)

Title: "Love Remains the Same," by Gavin Rossdale